Peerless 100 Differential Axle for my peditruck

Website
emilcarr.scot
I like your wheel hubs. I had a similar idea at one point but I was trying to gen it up with standard size tubing/pipe. You mentioned threading the end or using a shaft collar; I'm curious if you're putting anything on the inside to prevent lateral movement or relying just on the keying?
Inside will butt up against the bearing block

Website
emilcarr.scot
So today was the first clear day in a while that I've not been busy or exhausted! Between temperamental Scottish weather and volunteering I've started doing recently, there's not been a lot of these.

Like the first ground stones laid for a building, I got out the back and did the first few welds. This was only about an hour and a half's work but it started getting dark already. Need to get an earlier start next time.

Website
emilcarr.scot
Open air workshop! Don't envy you that.
Looks like I've now got access to a MIG welder and a nice cozy workshop inside a shipping container now at the place I volunteer, but all my steel is at home so I'll probably still be working out the back for now. Going to start renting a garage or workshop space hopefully down the line.

Website
emilcarr.scot
Top tube and bottom bracket shell welded in. I think that should be the most complicated part! Undercarriage is just a couple simple mitres.

I'm just super pleased to be out of the "amassing parts and telling everyone about the project" phase, and into the "getting on with the darned project" phase.

Also... god damn. I think I need to buy some ear defenders.

It suddenly went from very long , to very short ?

Have I missed something ?

Paul

I've never owned a hole saw that would even think of tackling that.
Me neither, 40-something is the biggest I have tried.; and it has to be constant-pitch.
The bigger the diameter the worse it gets doesn't it. :(

Website
emilcarr.scot
Tried lacing up the wheels tonight. I'm pretty alright at wheelbuilding but I can't get these to lace up properly. I think it's the hub flanges, they're too thick. Possibly need modification by another machinist, or as a workaround I think I should be able to lace them radially.

Website
emilcarr.scot
I took them out to Wheelcraft to see what Al reckoned. He cut slightly longer (and better quality) spokes for me and let me build them in his workshop - worked out great! My friend has the axle at the moment to mill the keyway on so can't try them on it yet.

Super chuffed that Al was so friendly and helpful. Anyone in Glasgow area or passing through Scotland, it's worth making the pilgrimage to his shop in Clachan of Campsie, even just for a cup of tea. He recommended Sapim Strong tandem spokes with 13g butting, which I'm really happy with as this is now a super strong wheel that will definitely hold up to the weight :)

Now the question is what do I do with my extra 72 238mm spokes...