my high roller

Well I did build myself a high roller. The building was fun, especially getting the rear wheel lined up properly. Mine uses 24" wheels which allowed me to place my feet flat on the ground at a stop. I had a heck of a time learning how to ride it, until finally at a local provincial park on a short downhill paved bike path I was able to get it going and stay upright. Then came the fatal error. A 500 watt Bafang mid drive motor was added to the bike. Given the style of the bike this meant the motor needed to be mounted right at the end of the boom. The battery was able to be placed under the frame just ahead of the seat. The problem was the front end became quite heavy which really affected the steering - one thing that did not help was the tubing used for the frame was a bit thicker - read heavier than the plans called for which also affected the weight. The end result was one the maiden voyage at the same provincial park while using the motor I crashed and the post the bars are attached to broke off which ended that trip real quick. No damage to me but at this time the bike is sitting in my garage unrepaired. The motor was removed and installed on an aluminum frame 700C equipped road bike which actually works very well. It,s just not as comfortable as a recumbent. The high roller is awaiting a decision on it's eventual fate. One conclusion is to convert this style of bike to an E bike a rear hub motor would probably be best.

I have decided to retire my high roller mostly because I don't wish to spend more time refining it and learning how to ride it. There is a friend however who would like to take and work it a bit then learn to ride a 2 wheeled recumbent. So I will keep a couple bits like the 3 new chains and offer it to him if he's still interested. I,ve been riding that darn DF bike quite a bit but it,s day's are numbered. recumbent's are so much more comfortable. The Bafang mid drive motor will find it's way onto another project.

The Bafang on my last tadpole was great.
I even modified it from the stock single 46T ring to accommodate a twin (53/39) chain-ring, it was very good, quiet and reliable.

High roller now gone. My friend picked it up today (aug 19 2019) and is reassembling it. He plans to repair it, learn how to ride it and use the knowledge to see if a recumbent is good for him.

High roller now gone. My friend picked it up today (aug 19 2019) and is reassembling it. He plans to repair it, learn how to ride it and use the knowledge to see if a recumbent is good for him.
Hello All. I have repaired the handlebar stem with some heavier wall tubing (1/2" gas pipe) and made it adjustable. Overall, I think Hugh did a pretty decent job on this bike. I have had no trouble riding it, and this is the first recumbent I have EVER ridden! It is definitely a little different than a DF but I think I could get to like it.
My main issue with it is the rough ride. I will try a couple more layers of foam on the seat first and if that is not sufficient I will invent a suspension seat somehow. It's not like I can stand up when a pothole is unavoidable...and there are PLENTY of those in this city!
Edit: I will post some pics if I can figure out how.
Greg.

Last edited:
Welcome to the madness. Did you bring your bag of humor with you.
Things can get a bit silly here, now and then. But it's all in great fun, while we learn, build, test, try again.

About posting images.

I have recently changed from Postimg.cc over to https://imgbb.com/ .
If your try this one, just click on 'START UPLOADING'
Also check out ...https://atomiczombie.com/forum/threads/posting-photos.20/page-2#post-521
No signing up and its free.

Others like and use other sources as well.
Good luck with your build and photo posting.

Last edited: