Bladesmith/metalworker/handy-ishman about to try his hand at building and blogging.

I ordered 8 sets of plans 2 weeks ago and I have the itch to start building. I really want a long distance high-speed recumbent bike to get rid of my civilian slump and get back to fighting shape... But the gladiator is soo damn cool I just had to try it first. After reading the plans through a time or 2 and realizing my old truck has 2 full size spare 15" rim/tires in the back... I realized one point that wasn't talked about so much in the plans was how much fun it is removing a passenger tire from a rim! I am not a stranger to said process as I have done a few driveway tire changes, but I had to be reminded just how frustrating it is breaking the bead and prying the dreadful tire off knowing full well I will be putting it back on after drilling over 100 holes.

Well, now that I have retrieved most of the tools that were thrown across the yard, had a couple of beers, and reassured the neighbors that its safe to come back outside without hearing loud exclamations of words that would make most factory workers blush... Hopefully I will have time to get back at it tomorrow and get a few pictures of my progress. Until then, know the difference between beers and bikes.... Beers+bottoms up=good times.... bikes+bottoms up=bad times!

Welcome Vikingmike

Already, know this will be a fun ride, for not only you, but for the rest of us Zombies as well.
Why?....I do believe I detect a sense of humor, (or humour) across the pond.

I see you have already, tasted the appetizers (plans). Now to see what concoction you will come up with.

Welcome

of course if you had chosen to build your wheels the Vigilante method you could have left the tyres on and saved drilling all those holes and buying the spokes........

I'll get my coat....

regards paul

Welcome

of course if you had chosen to build your wheels the Vigilante method you could have left the tyres on and saved drilling all those holes and buying the spokes........

I'll get my coat....

regards paul
In theory you could leave the tires on to do the vigilante method, and I like the work smarter approach... but you have not seen my welding! no way would the tires still be usable! hah. I actually was considering doing just that, but I have a few friends who are cyclists and or bike snobs and I wanted to lace the rims for the shock factor and for the experience. I am very sure a couple spokes in I will regret it and cuss you for being right but I want to give it a shot. worse case scenario.. I sit down and weld shut 100 some holes on the rim and go that route anyway.

Welcome Vikingmike

Already, know this will be a fun ride, for not only you, but for the rest of us Zombies as well.
Why?....I do believe I detect a sense of humor, (or humour) across the pond.

I see you have already, tasted the appetizers (plans). Now to see what concoction you will come up with.
Humor and sarcasm are my most used tools! No need for queens English translation for me, I'm I the middle of Illinois so I speak that Midwest slang! I will use the plans to get the basic idea on a couple builds then I will see how creative or dangerous I can be! thanks for the welcome.

Mike

I have one car wheel spoked , interesting exercise :)

I started by doing half the spokes then adding the hub twist , I then tried spoke crosses 2 , 3 and IIRC ended up with a 4 cross.

Couple of spokes are sort of bent but it seems to work ?

regards Paul

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
As long as your wheel is running true, and spokes are of equal tension, you are golden.
Grab the pair of spokes and give them a good twist, often they will relax.
Some bending is to be expected on crossing spokes.

Feel free to post a few photos!

Brad

Well mine looked like this :-

few dodgy spokes ;)😁

Never got a bike built for it , still awaiting it's turn in the shed

regards Paul

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Looks like a few crossing pairs get their spacing mixed up a bit, but in the end if the wheel is true, nobody will notice.
The nice red on black contrast is all you see, and it looks good.

Brad