Another FWD Delta trike.

Update 7th Nov 2020:

I did a tiny bit more mock-up and messing around with the trike today.
It seems that with the seat in the ideal place on the main keel I will indeed have the same relationship/distance between the seat and the pedals as exists on the Tadpole.

Looks to me like the pedals are now considerably further fwd than in the earlier pictures and so the boom can be a bit lower ? before pedal strike ?

Next job is to try and sort out how to add some steering capability. USS and a rod attached to the forks seems about right.

Like this I assume ?

Don't forget to easily get on and off the steering rods will have to be close to the frame

Paul

You need a glamorous assistant to help with your video demonstrations, and no I'm not applying for the job.
I think Debbie Mcgee is still free , however she prefers smaller wizards :D

Thank you all for your kind and constructive input, it is much appreciated.
I need to sort out the steering AND some tubing for the chain to alleviate tyre-rub at the contact points, but it is beginning to look like a workable trike.
The back-end "tilty-bit" is still only tack-welded (albeit with some substantial tacks) but it might stand up to a gentle test ride up and down the street.
Many years ago I bought the Aurora delta plan and I will probably use the steering elements from that for this trike.
As a mid-sized trike it might look quite striking on the road. ;)

I fastened a seat mount to the frame and put the wheels on to see what it "felt like".
I can report that it feels "high-up" & "dangerous" :eek:

It may feel that way but it looks like you're lower than on a regular bike. It's the same on my swb 2 wheeler. That precarious feeling is hard to ignore.

I can report that it feels "high-up" & "dangerous" :eek:
I can see a couple of things wrong ?

You did not have your PPE on ?

and to stop yourself falling over you have ' white knuckle ' !

whats the base of the seat ? about 22" from ground ?

Paul

I can see a couple of things wrong ?

You did not have your PPE on ?

and to stop yourself falling over you have ' white knuckle ' !

whats the base of the seat ? about 22" from ground ?

Paul
All these things (and more) are true, I was conscious that an "action shot" without momentum was likely to be dodgy so max braking was applied.

Today "fun for frozen fingers" was the placement of a HARD LOCK for the tilt mechanism.
This is primarily for when the trike is being wheeled to/from long term storage and while in long-term storage.
It is very basic. A sleeved hole accepts an M8 bolt. An M8 nut allows the bolt to be tightened to protrude through the locking spar and into an M8 hole in the vertical post of the tilting mechanism.

While I was there I used a spare piece of tube to place a digital angle meter on and set the M12 tilt operating links to make the rear swing-arms reflect the same angle as the swing-arm axle beam.
M12 threads are pretty coarse and I could only get it within 0.1 of a degree. But I think that is good enough. ;)

Update Nov 29:
I put a long stem in the headset and some bars on it.
Knee clearance on pedaling is tight, but I have clearance Clarence, so that's a roger Roger as long as we are on the correct vector Victor. ;)

Standard SA brake cables are too short so I will need to do custom ones.
I tested whether it could be wheeled down the side of the house and into the back garden, and placed in a storage shed.
Yes it can!

Update Nov 29:
I tested whether it could be wheeled down the side of the house and into the back garden, and placed in a storage shed.
Yes it can!
Did the wheels fall off before or after you got it in the shed ?

I'll get my coat.....

these bars simply pivot in the stem handlebar hole this allowing easy ingress/egress and miss the knees ?

these are narrow ?

Still plenty of playing ?

Paul

Did the wheels fall off before or after you got it in the shed ?
2 things happened. Wheels were removed (QR axles), and suspension spring QR was pulled and the rear section swiveled under the keel to make it shorter so it would fit in there.
Still plenty of playing ?
I may retrieve it from the shed later this/next year to have a play.

Update Nov 29:
🤔 it needed to be narrow enough to wheel down the side, but you take it apart to put in the shed anyway.. i gotta say this seems a little odd.

🤔 it needed to be narrow enough to wheel down the side, but you take it apart to put in the shed anyway.. i gotta say this seems a little odd.
Yes it is. The enemy has invaded my shed and taken up the space for my trike in its shed with "garden stuff". The incongruity it presents is more than a little galling, but one must pick one's battles.

The tilting Delta has been retrieved from the garden shed, having proved the traversal aspects.
Work may now commence on the finalisation of the seating, steering and chain-run/protection.
Don't hold your breath, Xmas is going to get in the way and I have already found a problem in the chain run that I need to resolve.

I have already found a problem in the chain run that I need to resolve.
You can't say this , then turn the lights off and walk away !

You can't say this , then turn the lights off and walk away !
Ahhh... well, the return idler keeper snags the chain and derails it off the idler causing a total lock up, if you pedal backwards at all.

Ahhh... well, the return idler keeper snags the chain and derails it off the idler causing a total lock up, if you pedal backwards at all.
Do you recall me saying chain management is necessary in both directions ?

I forgot about pedalling backwards however the same of course happens if you push it backwards !

It does seem the worst case scenario is when the steering is turned and going backwards.

Paul