Why oh why am I building a ' very low ' racing bike called 10% , when I am the wrong side of 65 ?

Hi all
History

So I was rang recently by a old friend [ we go back to the birth of home computers ] ' do you still ride/build recumbents ' ? well yes ! lets just call him Mr 126 for the sake of anonymity ?
I am going to build one and go racing with it , yeah really I think , so will you come also.
Of course I said knowing how hard the task is ........
Next up a few weeks later called again ' I have splashed out £a lot of pounds and bought a Gustyleopard ' blimey not hanging around then.
They fetch big money especially the Hyper sport version with carbon tubes as they are still very capable trikes.
Of course you don't need to be a genius to work out the next call......
When are you joining me ? however this bit may come as a surprise ' get your skates on the World Championships are in the UK next year we can enter that ! '

So new Project:-
Now I decided to make it challenging:-
  1. made completely from scrap parts
  2. built down to the Gustyleopard's weight , about 15kg
  3. built for 10% of the cost of the Gustyleopard - hence forth the bike is called 10%
  4. I need a Gustyleopard scalp for my wall - place already cleared for it ;)

So to borrow phrase old men ' What they lack in speed they make up for in guile, and cunning. '

Raw materials ? 5 of these :-

DSCF6835-sm.jpg

They are 16" wheeled kids bike 4 for free and one I paid £15 for , I was after V brakes and narrowed rimmed 28 spoke wheels = got enough
These wheels are very light compared to 20" wheels , although tyre choice is ' only 1 ' although they are cheap & less than £12 each

Current progress puts us just a bit ahead of this picture :-

first-roll-out-DSCF7135-sm.jpg

This is LOW like chassis is 4" from floor and seat height @ front 8.5", oh and quite long !

I now have the front fork built for FWD , as insurance I have kept a full rear triangle for backup plan is RWD [ more pulleys/weight , flap-py/power loss chain etc ]

blue-first-stab-DSCF7144-sm.jpg

a fiendishly difficult cut & shut on one of the front forks

finished-DSCF7149-sm.jpg

8 speed wheel fits and I have been on a couple of un-powered free wheels down the cul-de-sac , so far it all seems to work.

More later Paul

P.S first race 27 August so I had better get my cleated shoes on :D

Yes, but I don't think the 75 Sq.ft mainsail will be allowed by the BHPC chaps. ;)
Interesting thought , what do the rules say ?

In recognition of the large variation in rider and machine performance, BHPC racers compete in a number of different classes. Currently the classes work like this:

• Open
    All human-powered (that is, not electric-assist) riders compete in this overall class. If it’s human powered and conforms to the safety rules, it’s in.
  • Unfaired
    No fairings are allowed. Disc wheels and wheel covers are permitted.
  • Part-faired
    A front fairing or a rear fairing is allowed. From the side the view of the rider’s torso, head and upper leg must be uninterrupted by aerodynamic additions, though the tail fairing may protrude forward to the mid point of the rider’s torso

I will be mainly in these classes as is Mr 126
So sail is an auxiliary power source and not allowed

Paul

A quick Google provides no info on Gusty Leopards though farty felines did come up.

With regard to the wheel weight, will you loose on the tyre what you gain on the wheel? Not to mention rolling resistance. There are some very light 20" tyres with good rolling resistance.

A quick Google provides no info on Gusty Leopards though farty felines did come up.

Cos Google can't look inside my head ?

With regard to the wheel weight, will you loose on the tyre what you gain on the wheel? Not to mention rolling resistance. There are some very light 20" tyres with good rolling resistance.

Every think is a compromise so I am banking on low wind resistance , tyres pumped up beyond their limits and getting within the 10% cost goal , good 20" tyres would blow that apart ?

Paul

If you want some high tech support in the budget, send me a PM.
Very kind of you to offer , however it is doubtful there is room in the budget even for paint !
I don't think anyone on this forum has built a successful twisting chain FWD ?

Paul

so on to the drive train..

start-DSCF7175-sm.jpg

taking figures from the Pythons 5 & 6 which basically look like this I know :-
seat front to BB length which for 170mm cranks is 28"
seat front height to BB height wants to be about 8" [ well I know I am comfortable with that over long distances ] it may need to be higher for legs to clear front hardware [ into the unknown here !]
That puts the pedal boom/BB where pictured
I have found some 1.25"sq and some 1/25" round that the pictured seat tube fits into however they both have internal seams which will have to be dealt with , or look for some bicycle tubing.
The square is easier to fettle for the head tube joint but harder to make a clamp for , I want it adjustable over about 4" in case I have it wrong or go for short cranks.

parts-DSCF7176-sm.jpg

Yesterday was a do essentials that seem trivial , it won't work without them however they soak up time.
On left welded up BB/seat tube joint where manufactures couldn't be bothered.
Right are parts for the big pulley at the top of the frame , a scrap single speed free wheel [ minus pawls ] welded to a 28T sprock from a front crankset , then screwed to a BB righthand cup with a piece of precision tube hammered into it for a M12 bolt [ apparently M8 can snap and or bend when used here ] and the locking ring welded on as a stop.
That all needs balls/grease and re assembly to see if it still works.
Paul

Can't wait..can't wait!
Bless him.
You need to catch me in the Multi Open league too.
You might call it 10%er but for effort that's 110% buddy. Keep at it.
WindyCatman.

Can't wait..can't wait!
Don't hold your breath
Bless him.
Very kind
You need to catch me in the Multi Open league too.
Are you saying your the mysterious Mr 126 ? he lies 20 currently in the BHPC Championship strewth
BHPC Championship table
You might call it 10%er but for effort that's 110% buddy. Keep at it.
Yep these builds are very time hungry.
WindyCatman.
Sorry did not realise it had a different name;) :D

Paul

It is all sounding quite like a challenge at this juncture. Maybe he with the most races under his belt wins....... or doesn't.
I would enter the fray...but I have discovered that I have a bone in my leg and I have a note from my Mum excusing me from playing. ;)

Danny, notice I don't win any races. It's just perseverance that does it. The others will catch me in the league.
But, I am improving my abilities, learning the trade and tweaking the catmobile.
I'm finding the Windcheeter does have weaknesses as I've dicussed with Paul.
The cat doesn't like CCW circuits around corners as I've left body organs on the tarmac as testiment.
The last 4 races was with the tracking creeping out of wad again which I will correct for Darley.
Martin.

It is all sounding quite like a challenge at this juncture. Maybe he with the most races under his belt wins....... or doesn't.
Well Mr 126 has not noticed the conundrum yet .......
Should I tell him ?
He has to continue now till the end of the season getting better and better.
I only have to beat him once !
I would enter the fray...but I have discovered that I have a bone in my leg and I have a note from my Mum excusing me from playing. ;)
On investigation leg bones it is more likely you have 3 bones missing ?

Ho hum Paul

Well Mr 126 has not noticed the conundrum yet .......
Should I tell him ?
He has to continue now till the end of the season getting better and better.
I only have to beat him once !
At Darley it's a two day event.
Day one:-
Race 1 = 4 laps.
Race 2 =45min+1 lap
Day two:-
Race 3 = TT
Race 4 = 2 hours
How do you want to play it?
Any failure to turn up will forfeit the race.
Best speeds wins?
Best places wins?
You may want to pick say 1 race, the 45mins.
But I am trying to battle with others so I may go fast for the 4 laps, then cruise for 45mins, then fast for TT then again cruise for 2 hours.
Not a fair race if you pick my cruise period.
So I say do an overall best places.
What's your take Sterling Moss?

It should be, the winner is the person with more points awarded by the BHPC (Kim) at the end of the day.
Also noted you are in Open class, I'm in Open multitrack, that's apples and pears...

But if you get on the starting grid with a fully working machine, I'll buy you dinner in Ashbourne. (As that will be a winner!)

Mr 126.

Last edited:
Back