Why oh why am I building a ' very low ' racing bike called 10% , when I am the wrong side of 65 ?

As you weld it like that Paul, how do you get your axle on it? It closes the opening ad the bottom.
I took this from the drawing on the previous page
fwd-righthand-do.jpg
glued it to some cardboard and cut it out.

I then clamped it underneath the drop out lining up the axle holes , I then trimmed the hanger mount and placed it on top of the drawing screwing it down for good measure.

rear-mech-hanger-DSCF7440-sm.jpg
you can just see the card underneath

welded-rear-mech-DSCF7444-sm.jpg

here it is unscrewed after welding , some time when the cutters/grinders/welder are out I will add a brace as shown by the blue felt tip pen line.

Paul

Ok so delayed whilst I indulged in some pedal car racing , a whole weekend at Blackbushe :-

370540937_10161763277812450_2069107034695076360_n.jpg
notice team colours !

Ok not fast about 18mph heading down a slight hill to a 90' before the first of 2 hairpins , I came away from the weekend tired but happy.
There was 4 of us in the car and made 11th day one and 12th day two out of 26 cars , although a lot of cars were scouts ! 18 were adults or fit teenagers [ compared with me a 68 yr old f*rt ]

Today I got stuck into the rotating return side pulley , the plan is to weld a saddle onto a Shimano rear mech and cut off the parts not needed ?

return-side-rotate-DSCF7485-sm.jpg

So saddle and top trimmed to meet it giving a reasonable weld length IF the stuff is weldable ? anyone tried this ?

return-side-rotate-1-DSCF7486-sm.jpg

Saddle has a M6 hole in it for swivel bolt

return-side-rotate-2-DSCF7490-sm.jpg

All for now

Paul

Ok hit with glue gun...

return-side-rotate-welded-DSCF7492.jpg

Seems the ' chrome ' look side had a strange glow around it however welded well and all still fits together nicely.
Marked out for some trimming and needs a bracket making for swivel bolt , hard to fix to frame with it being round tubing , we shall see.

Paul

Trimmed we are

return-side-done-1-DSCF7495-sm.jpg

Though I may try and mount if from a M6 rod end bearing , it will give me some adjustment and allow more motion.

return-side-done-2-DSCF7498-sm.jpg

So something like this with rod end fixed at main frame and a locknut on the top and the excess trimmed off to get it as close as possible to the power side pulley [ the next job ]

Can't wait to see it swivelling as it were.

Paul

So 11 days before I found some time to deploy the new swivel and using a big pulley I have been assured will be rent asunder by the forces ....
works-1-DSCF7545-sm.jpg

Not an ideal mounting position for the big pulley [ chain not parallel to front fork ] it needs to be closer to the middle of the head tube.
Not an ideal mounting position for little pulley either could be higher and closer to big pulley.
I tried to pedal the thing , most disappointing it took a huge amount of force to turn the pedals , however once moving it could do some incredible things ?

works-left-DSCF7546-sm.jpg
works-right-DSCF7548-sm.jpg
full left and full right !!!

On full right chain grazes tyre and it still turns.

works-right-1-DSCF7549-sm.jpg
look at the crazy chain angles , twisting or what ?

So why so hard to turn the pedals ? how to quantify it and measure any improvements ?

10-bolts-DSCF7552-sm.jpg
best I could come up with 10 x M12 40mm bolts with pedal horizontal could move pedal downwards ?

So not really a fair test as Python has bigger wheel and different gearing however on 3 x M10 40mm bolts needed to move that.
After an afternoon of messing I found:-
a) wheel axle locknuts not tight and wheel tightening slowly as it was used
b) rear mech to much resistance in pulleys [ same as SRAM I started with , with locked up lower pulley
c) possible stiff link in chain

After addressing all those problems I ended up with 5 x M12 40mm bolts needed to move the pedal , so 1/2 what I started with and only 1.67 more effort than Python.
Maybe the price of the extra pulleys and all that chain , boy does the chain go through some angles compared to Python.

Next ? need a trike rear end so I can sit on it and figure out some handlebars oh and add some brakes.....

More delays coming as I go on holiday from Friday and yet more pedal car racing on the 30th :D can't wait.

Paul

So 11 days before I found some time to deploy the new swivel and using a big pulley I have been assured will be rent asunder by the forces ....
works-1-DSCF7545-sm.jpg

Not an ideal mounting position for the big pulley [ chain not parallel to front fork ] it needs to be closer to the middle of the head tube.
Not an ideal mounting position for little pulley either could be higher and closer to big pulley.
I tried to pedal the thing , most disappointing it took a huge amount of force to turn the pedals , however once moving it could do some incredible things ?

works-left-DSCF7546-sm.jpg
works-right-DSCF7548-sm.jpg
full left and full right !!!

On full right chain grazes tyre and it still turns.

works-right-1-DSCF7549-sm.jpg
look at the crazy chain angles , twisting or what ?

So why so hard to turn the pedals ? how to quantify it and measure any improvements ?

10-bolts-DSCF7552-sm.jpg
best I could come up with 10 x M12 40mm bolts with pedal horizontal could move pedal downwards ?

So not really a fair test as Python has bigger wheel and different gearing however on 3 x M10 40mm bolts needed to move that.
After an afternoon of messing I found:-
a) wheel axle locknuts not tight and wheel tightening slowly as it was used
b) rear mech to much resistance in pulleys [ same as SRAM I started with , with locked up lower pulley
c) possible stiff link in chain

After addressing all those problems I ended up with 5 x M12 40mm bolts needed to move the pedal , so 1/2 what I started with and only 1.67 more effort than Python.
Maybe the price of the extra pulleys and all that chain , boy does the chain go through some angles compared to Python.

Next ? need a trike rear end so I can sit on it and figure out some handlebars oh and add some brakes.....

More delays coming as I go on holiday from Friday and yet more pedal car racing on the 30th :D can't wait.

Paul
A decent amount of lock there Paul. :)
I gave up on twisted-chain as I found it all far too fiddly and difficult to make work, so well done you.

Hi all

So it was being built to enter BHPC racing events [ British Human Powered Club ] I have now put this trike into mothballs, I think I have cracked the front twisting chain stuff and it needs a trike rear end and handle bars to be tested.
However things have been happening that have rendered it un-needed at the present time.

I have done 3 pedal car events BPCC [ British Pedal Car Club ] and quite enjoy them despite me being very slow , they tend to be a lot longer than BHPC events so better value for your money IMHO.
If I had a pedal car I can enter events run by both clubs , however the above trike would limit me to BHPC events as pedal cars must have 4 wheels.

So answer get a pedal car ! Pedal car re-build

Paul

Back