what jobs are we getting done due to lockdown - no necessarily bike related

All afternoon on the "Garden of Eden" project at the house of one of my son's.
Mr. Robin has enjoyed feasting on all the goodies that get exposed. Before I even got there today another 8Yd skip had been 1/2 filled.
We filled it completely and then some (in excess of 10 Ton), and it was collected and another one delivered. This will be the 3rd Skip on this project so it is likely that we will have removed over 20 tons of rubble and assorted bricks/pavers.

The mini digger has been a godsend at digging out loads of bricks, rubble etc. etc.
One more day of digging, levelling etc. and then the garden reconstruction can begin. The plan is a new patio, all new fencing and a new lawn.

This retired lark is a full-time job.

The garden fencing is finally completed. :)

Dan

And you survived it ?

Paul

Another day of toil in the "Garden Of Despair". From about 11AM for me.
After looking at the state of the ground where the patio will eventually be it was determined that it was so random in its construction and make-up that in fact it would need to come out completely.
We also now know why the garden flooded when it rained heavily. A previously poorly installed drainage system that was all silted up.
No Mech-aids, just a sledge-hammer and a large wrecking bar. All the concrete, bricks/breezeblock and random wood and broken glass was removed and only "Type 1" bits left behind.
Finished at about 17:30. We are now at least 2 brick courses lower and a 6 Yd skip has been filled by me and Tom.
My knee is really upset with me, so I shall take a day off and do stuff at home instead tomorrow.
Here's a couple of pictures (part done, and at the end).
Still alive to tell the tale and Tom says I am as much of a beast as he is. Praise indeed.

Today I did some stuff at my place in preparation for the plasterers to come and do their magic on the 10th.
The new Window-Sills/cills are trimmed to fit and ready for fixing in place.

Backyard redo, and repurpose

Paying it forward

We recently paid it forward, by bequeathing our little-used hot tub to first come first gets. A local well-known handyman was the lucky recipient. He and his two sons worked their butts off getting it onto 'my' trailer.

The yard redo

We(I) have had a terrible time keeping a green lawn for the last 20+ years.
I watered it - fed it - weeded it - talk to it - pleaded with it - swore at it.
Nothing would grow in that patch of mother earth.

BEFORE
It would always start looking great for the beginning of the season then start dying.

AFTER
You are looking at the remains of the 3rd, yup 3rd, lawn we put in.

We've been fortunate and been able to save for a rainy day. Well, it's raining folks, and it's time to put down a permanent lawn. They are coming next Monday to install it. I have already laid about a 1000 sq ft by myself, but this is too big for one man.

Repurpose the old spot.

So with the hot tub gone, I got this idea (my mistake), that we should repurpose the remaining space.

Now I have another project.

But I'm looking forward to the new lawn. We will finally get to use the lawn and dust off the lawn games.
A Tiki Lounge, complete with a reed roof and all. will now occupy the hot tub space.

I'm using reed fencing for the top. The framework is not made for any weight.

I have some leftover bracing from some old metal sheds, and they will be lashed to the frame to increase their strength.
It has been known to snow here.

I'm also using chicken wire mesh to increase attaching points and additional strength to the overall roof structure.

More updates as the project progresses.

The "mini-Barn" (as we (me-n-her) like to call it) is pretty much completed. :D
The dwarf walls require scrubbing clean and re-painting and I have one area of the frame to place a sheathing trim on.
I am quite pleased with it, and it is certainly a nicer space than the glass-box conservatory was. :D

Green Again!

The new grass is in, (not without issues) but finally done.
I've put a lot of work into getting my backyard [sanctuary] to this point. +/- 25 years.

I've done virtually everything, but the pool, new fence, and now the new lawn. Every rock, tree, and bush.
Patio cover and redwood decking, #2. Replaced bedroom window with sliding glass doors.
Installed by myself +/- 1000 sq ft of artificial turf. This remaining area @ 1300 sq ft was more than I could manage.
The lawn looks great, and we're looking forward to finally getting to use our lawn area for fun and games.

A little progress on the Tiki Lounge
I'll get more pics tomorrow of even more progress.