MJ’s Streetfox build

Have the tee shirt , however I try not to wear it outside :whistle:

Mine did unwind once , tightened it up and used a 1/2" chisel and belted the bottom corner of one of those slots on the locking ring and moved it about 1/4" [ 3mm ] been alright for the last 200 miles :D

Paul
I was debating just leaving it but I figured it likely to loose up…

Im pleased to know I’m not the only one lol

Today I put the whole thing together to see how it sits, I also made and fitted the handlebars…

I’ve just got the seat tabs to weld on, the pulley, chain guide to fit and seat to make, then I’ll be ready to take her for a test ride…

Do it and post your progress on here….
Have the tools, the knowledge and skills. Have most of the raw materials, access to second hand bikes is secured.

But. Life trowns in a spanner. (or 10)
Daily life job takes up to 55h a week.

Other hobbies.
  • Robot wars. Rebuilding 2 machines. Building 2 new machines for the next years competition.
  • Medieval reenactment, 14th century. Creating a full base camp for a flock of artisans.
  • Maker Space assistant.
And of course, with 2 tadpool trikes already cluttering up the hallway of the House of Chaos, no more room is available.

But mainly, I'm still searching for a co-builder, as I don't like to work alone for fun.

I was debating just leaving it but I figured it likely to loose up…
I was 6 miles from home when I found out mine could .......

Im pleased to know I’m not the only one lol
It is an exclusive club , although not as popular as the ' Mile high club ' from what I hear :whistle:

Today I put the whole thing together to see how it sits, I also made and fitted the handlebars…
Some people find direct steering quite twitchy ? consider indirect now before you decide the chain routing in case you want to add it later ?

I’ve just got the seat tabs to weld on, the pulley, chain guide to fit and seat to make, then I’ll be ready to take her for a test ride…
Nice list , however you are in the phase ...

The last 10% takes 90% of the time....

Looking good keep at it.

Paul

I'd echo Paul's point regarding the steering. I too am no fan of having to push left to go right and vise versa. Under seat steering is a big improvement and well worth putting in.

Cheers all,

the steering has been a big cause of debate between myself and my mate who has built a few of the tadpole trikes.

As this is my first venture into the rabbit hole of building these things I’ll do a trial and error, start with this and then modify it as I go along.
the one my mate built has move to a steering column as such, it great to ride but your knees hit it, it ok for him as he is disabled and his legs don’t work so well.
im thinking of a few option…

Today I welded the seat tabs on and picked up a natty staple gun… scary part of the build coming up, that is the chain and the seat… I can weld, wood work ok, but upholstery… that bloody scary! Lol

It works…

Still a lot to do, but seat is on chain fitted and adjusted.
I’ve fitted a chain guide (part of an old mech) to the top chain to see if it helps run quietly. I also have fitted the pulley to guide it smoothly under the steering.
The lower chain will be fed through a tube… a bit of hose pipe this will keep it from swinging about and pickup crap.

I then have the absolutely terrifying prospect of working out the cable routes for brakes and gears…

Then lastly will be to cover the seat and head rest, strip down to component parts and paint, then re assemble.

Chain on, chain guide and pulley fitted… I’ve tried a few different locations but in front of the seat seemed to work and didn’t get in the way.

Even took it for a text ride…it worked.

Last edited:
You have that derailleur tensioner on the drive side of the chain. That will be straining the jockey wheels and they aren't likely to take that for long being designed for the return, slack side of the chain.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Lookin good!
I agree with Popshot, move the idler to the slack (return) chain. It will keep it off the ground.
You should not need it on the drive chain as the 4" pulley should push it under the seat like this...

Cheers!
Brad

Lookin good!
I agree with Popshot, move the idler to the slack (return) chain. It will keep it off the ground.
You should not need it on the drive chain as the 4" pulley should push it under the seat like this...

Cheers!
Brad
Yeah the tension on it was massive, it would have ripped off eventually. I have removed it. I think I will be fitting a chain guide, like a hose just to stop the swing if nothing else.

mj

I fitted the chain guide, ie two lengths of garden hose pipe.
I’ve decided to do this as while riding it the chain really did swing, it’s also a heck of a lot quieter…
it actually works really well. The beauty of hose is it flexible, strong and easy to replace if need be.

For the chain guide. I used plumbing Pex. it's very cheap for 8 foot lengths, easy to shape with a heat gun and even flute the ends. I read the noise on the chain guides comes from the chain hitting the end of the tube as it enters and exits the pipe, so they flute them to make it more quiet. Also the Pex comes in colors, I've seen white, black, red, blue and clear. I thought a clear chain guide would look cool.

For the chain guide. I used plumbing Pex. it's very cheap for 8 foot lengths, easy to shape with a heat gun and even flute the ends. I read the noise on the chain guides comes from the chain hitting the end of the tube as it enters and exits the pipe, so they flute them to make it more quiet. Also the Pex comes in colors, I've seen white, black, red, blue and clear. I thought a clear chain guide would look cool.
I did wonder what it was that most people use… I’ll look it up, thanks for that.

Today I started on the cable’s…. Holy moly this is daunting, its like a snakes wedding, I had cables and wires everywhere. I decided at the start I wanted welded cable guides like bicycles. This means the cables are tight, and you get less flex and therefore a stronger brake feel.
Ive gone with cable disc in the rear for simplicity, I know how set them up, they are also easy to fix and maintain.
The fronts are a standard BMX, they already look awful lol. But they are easy to set up That’s for sure.

So after an hour of fiddling and trying different things out I have a working back brake… Yes the welds are a bit messy, but it will all be cleaned up later.

Today I fitted the lugs for the rear gears and gave it another test ride.

I decided on a old 90’s LX rear mech, that I paid about £3 for. I’ve totally rebuilt it and fired new jockey wheels. Its a quality bit of kit and runs as smooth as grease.

The gears and the brakes work well, really well, it was one part of the build I was doubting. Photo of my Son giving it a quick test ride.

Still lots to do, but we are getting there.

Needed to store it correctly as it’s taking up too much room in the garage.

Rain stopped play… or should I say COVID stopped play. i’m laid up not feeling well with a positive Covid test.

more to follow.

Just got rid of it myself. Just a mild inconvenience rather than a hindrance for me though.
Ive managed 2 years avoiding it worked everyday in frontline policing and still did not get it… then boom! I got it.

While I’m suffering with Plague I thought I would get the seat covered.

My intent is to have it professionally covered but I wanted to give it a go anyway..

I got myself a £15 parkside staple gun and it was worth every penny..
I know I went a bit gun ho, but hey who knew a staple gun could be co much fun! Lol:D

Thank you for sharing your build progress, MJ12, and for the excellent pictures!

Very encouraging & inspiring.

Hope you've recovered fully from the pestilence by now?