200 Square Foot Portable Poultry Tractor!

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
This was the first "bike parts" project I did since we moved out to our Homestead!

We raised many Turkeys in here, and some grew to over 40 pounds!

In shelter mode to keep the birds dry when it rains heavily.

We also use it as a mini portable greenhouse in the spring and fall.

The Poultry Tractor worked so well that I am going to do this one as a DIY Plan for the site.
No ATV required to move this one around!

Cheers,
Brad

Last edited:
WOW!

That's a really great idea Brad. Many different uses for such a clever idea.
Do I see a patent, and commercial use here?

The main 'body' looks like the wire mesh used for reinforcing cement ?
Definitely a good choice for a future plan.

It got me thinking about a portable cover for my RV.
Or maybe a quick 'folding' paint shed.
If open on one end, then a quick way to cover parts stored outside, from the weather elements.

The possibilities are endless.

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Thanks!

The screen is called "Hog Panel", and we use it for a lot aorund here.
It is galvanized, and also weldable, so it can be used for a great many projects.

I will never seek a patent on anything - that is a rich man's game only.
Anything I ever do will go straight into public domain for all to use!

I like the portable work space idea.
Since I now have no workspace, this could keep me out of the rain when I am welding.

Brad

WOW!

That's a really great idea Brad. Many different uses for such a clever idea.
Do I see a patent, and commercial use here?

The main 'body' looks like the wire mesh used for reinforcing cement ?
Definitely a good choice for a future plan.

It got me thinking about a portable cover for my RV.
Or maybe a quick 'folding' paint shed.
If open on one end, then a quick way to cover parts stored outside, from the weather elements.

The possibilities are endless.

Thanks!

I will never seek a patent on anything - that is a rich man's game only.
Anything I ever do will go straight into public domain for all to use!

Brad
Your a good man Brad

Just be careful of the sparks on the covering, or
POOF !:oops:

Last edited:

SirJoey

Super Moderator
DUDE! Truly, you never cease to amaze!

Ever taken an IQ test? Seriously, I suspect you are either a true genius, or at the very least, borderline! Seriously!
Although I know you're not offering plans for this, still, I gotta say something. It's one thing to build something from an existing set of plans (like I & others here do), but it's quite another to not only envision them, but to implement them, and then, if that's not enough, to draw them up into a cohesive set of practical & easy-to-follow set of plans that less imaginative folks like me can actually follow! I wish I had your skillz! Guess I'll have to settle for following plans.
KUDOS bro!

Brad great idea and great work. I'm curious about the dimensions of the 200 sq ft rolling chicken house. I'm guessing 10 ft x 20 ft x6 ft ht. ?
Thanks
JohnMTO

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Thanks!
Yes, that's pretty close to the measurements.
My tubing was a bit smaller, so ~180 sq ft is what it really ends up as.
This design would work to at least 300 sq ft, after that dual front landing wheels would be required.

Brad

Brad great idea and great work. I'm curious about the dimensions of the 200 sq ft rolling chicken house. I'm guessing 10 ft x 20 ft x6 ft ht. ?
Thanks
JohnMTO

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Mmmm, build a smaller one to house all those trikes and/or bits and pieces from/for trike building. Sort of reminds me of, "You can't erect that antenna tower there!" Build it in a trailer and you can move it around. It then becomes a mobile/protable item and doesn't come under the same municipal controls.

Of course, there would be many other uses. Much cheaper than erecting a shed. Sort of like a cheaper Nissen hut.

Brad, you need to edit the title. There's an "R" in that there "PoultRy" ;)

This plan is still way, way doable.

Not sure where you live, but in my area, fence post connectors are plentiful. (Lowes, Home Depot, most any home improvement centers)

I have used dozens and dozens of these, for building lean-to's, Halloween tunnels/canopy tops, party canopy's etc.
Very similar to construction scaffolding, temporary grand stands, etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=end+rail+clamps&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=end+rail+clamps&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l6.8167j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Also these;
http://fenceideas.twincitieshomes.info/chain-link-fence-parts/

I have used them in place of welding numerous times.
It may be extra money, for fittings, but it has worked for me for years.

An advantage to using this type of connections, is you can take it apart to re-position it, move it to a new home, sell it etc.
I agree with Brad, about the wood and PVC.
Depending where you live and your particular climate.

Wood will decay, leaving your structure weak, and possibly unsafe.
PVC and it's similar connecting parts, is great for short term. But in my area, the sun will destroy PVC quickly.
It becomes hardened and brittle, which means it will break when least expected.

As far as welding galvanized. I was concerned about that when I started welding. Not so much any more. The odd welding of a joint that is galvanized, probably won't affect anything. If I know I will be welding where there is galvanizing, I just grind it down to bare metal. (when the sparks start flying, you're at bare metal.)

So before you give up on the plan, look into this connection method.

Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
Could I use 1 5/8” top panel steel tubes instead of what you used? Would make it a little lighter and I realize not quite as sturdy but it’s what I’ve got. Lots of it. Also curious your thoughts on the chloroplast, you mentioned you might do it differently next time. I want to install a pvc gravity feeder and waterer but I don’t know how I would mount it because I had planned on building the shelter part out of OSB or plywood
An added technique

If using the aforementioned connectors. I have used them on as small as 1" , 1 1/4", 1 1/2" EMT, and the standard 1 5/8".
When I used it on the smaller diameter tubing, I just hammer/shrunk them to fit the smaller size. But that was easy.
If needing/wanting to use on a larger than 1 5/8" size (within reason), (say for the bottom rails) then the connectors could as easily be spread open,
to accommodate the larger diameter tube. Though I'm not recommending you do that.
If desired they can be hammered flat on the 'T' end, to accommodate, attaching to wood. Such as pressure treated wood.

Whether to use 1 5/8" rails, I will leave up to Brad.

Oh, and another suggestion

The same connector method, can be used for shelf supports, wall studding, doorway framing, and yes, even hinges.
One just needs to see how chain link fences are constructed, and apply that technique, and hardware, to ones own project.

Structurally, maybe not as secure as welding it together, as it may loosen, if moved frequently, or just through heat and cold changes.

My lean too is still up and secure, and its been there for a number of years. I even built an overhead loft, for storing flat lumber.
I do have two verticals, cemented into the ground, just to keep the wind from lifting it off the ground.
Good luck with yours

Last edited:
Curious if anyone has used cattle panels vs hog panels? I think they’re the same just taller.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
At our farm supply, the cattle panels seem to have much larger squares, might be large enough for chickens to get through.
I have seen many different styles, but if you can find taller panels that will work, the means possibly less joining.

Brad