A-frame front suspention

I am about to start a DIY build of a street fox and would like to put an A-frame front suspension on it. I have some ideas as to how it could be done.
Are there any drawings plans or measurements as to how it could be done?
Is there someone out there that has done this?
If there is any interest in this idea I could lay out my ideas and see if I can get some feedback as to what will work and what won't. RandyR

Don't forget that any front suspension will allow the trike to lean outwards in a corner. You can mitigate that by keeping the suspension movement small or go the whole hog and make it lean.

Don't forget that any front suspension will allow the trike to lean outwards in a corner. You can mitigate that by keeping the suspension movement small or go the whole hog and make it lean.

The picture you sent is interesting...do you have more pics of this trike? Is this your bike? I have seen quite a few pictures of A frame front suspensions but not any plans .

There's some pictures here

The original thread was on the old forum and has gone. Yes, it's mine. I built it. This one leans and it was very difficult to make it do that. There's a lot of compromise in both the suspension and steering to achieve that. I have a few more pictures if you want them - message me an email addy and I'll send them to you.

Last edited:
One thing that I've thought worth pursuing in A frames is the use of composite leaf springs as both the A-frame and spring combined. There are a few trikes out there using these.

There's some pictures here

The original thread was on the old forum and has gone. Yes, it's mine. I built it. This one leans and it was very difficult to make it do that. There's a lot of compromise in both the suspension and steering to achieve that. I have a few more pictures if you want them - message me an email addy and I'll send them to you.
thanks I would like to see your pictures.... my email is va7pg@live.ca the name is Randy

One thing that I've thought worth pursuing in A frames is the use of composite leaf springs as both the A-frame and spring combined. There are a few trikes out there using these.

Azub Tri-Fly uses a set of titanium leafsprings. But those are 1 piece top and bottom, and I know why. Team RCC (Robot Wars) uses a simular idea for the smaller machines (30lbs and 15 lbs) with HDPE blades. And why composite armor is rare in Battlebots/robotwars.

And I'm tempted to copy the idea. Titanium is expensive, but with this Dutch supplier, it isn't as bad. (yes, they do P&P abroad)

I just put suspension on two tadpoles and like it. However it has a solid axle and radius rods like a model A Ford and coil springs on the one and bungee cords on the other. I really like the looks of the one pictured which appears to have carbon springs. What is the deal on it?

I understand some people have tried cross country ski's in place of these fancy materials ?

i have a search running on Ebay . almost all ski's are collection only so I need to find a pair that are close to me and less than £10 !

Paul

Skis will indeed do. Look for ones that are equal width all the way down. Most modern ones vary. If you can muster more than a tenner there's some fibreglass plate on ebay. Item 264684570277. I'm considering a venture into it myself.

Sandman built a flying tadpole trike with fibreglass rods as the X-beam and wheelbarrow wheels on the end of them.
This was suspended (with the rider seated on it) beneath his paraglider.
It flew, it landed, it didn't break. A very brave man in my estimation. :)

Many moons ago I played with crossbow building for some unknown reason. A DIY method some used to make the prod (bow bit) was GRP resin and glassfibre. As I recall the glassfibre itself was oriented with strands running along the length of he prod to give it the strength it needed for the forces involved when drawn to the loaded position. I believe you could buy the oriented strand fibre for the job but can't remember where from or what use it was sold for. I know it was very carefully laid up in a simple mould and sanded and polished when set so no stress points were created.
I have my doubts that a standard layup of chopped strand mat would be very strong or durable in use as suspension spring/arm unless made fairly thick and heavy? Having such a unit give way at speed would ruin your day I suspect.

John