A Vague memory

If I remember correctly there was a vehicle that Radical Brad either build or theorized of a camper that used a hub motor connected to a pedal arrangement. The pedalled hub motor used as a generator and powered another hub motor at rear of vehicle. The only connection was wiring between the two hub motors to provide motion of the vehicle. Was wondering if I was correct in regards this memory, know this is in the archived forum now. Would this be an allowable means to power the traction wheel as the pedalling would be the only means to provide the electrical power to the hub motor within the wheel or perhaps a mid-drive motor chained to traction wheel thereby having a range of sprockets of a derailleur arrangement. Also what was the pedal driven hub motor wattage.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I have experimented a few times with electric drive.

This one used power chair motors, and proved that it is possible.
The human powered motor worked as a generator as well as a speed controller, with a microcontroller mixing the drive power from a battery to the rear motor, abased on how much effort you wanted to input.

In a later experiment, two 300 watt (brushless) hubmotors were wired directly together in the same kind of arrangment, and it seemed highly efficient. if I ever do another record breaking tallike (would be 25-30 feet), I would use hubmotor direct drive on it.

Brad

Thank you Radial Brad. The two brushless hubmotors would benefit my project. As in wheelchair motors did you use a microprocessor? If so which and where to obtain the necessary?