Ain't worth the risk....

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Some may feel confident enough to dodge the bullet, but remember.... it will find someone you know and kill them instead.
I am working in what is considered "front lines" right now, and fear this beast. I think fear is the appropriate response right now.

Feel free to pass it around, I made this for my local social media....

This is a good time to get creative with whatever you have on hand.
"Innovate while you Isolate!"

Brad

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I think the entire human race has been caught in a "deer in the headlights" situation, and there is no one person, country, or group to blame. Mother Earth is simply giving us a little shake, warning us that if we keep taking so much for granted, we will be removed quite easily.

I absolutely believe that tens of millions will die in 2020, and I also that this is just a blip, kind of a warning shot of what may be coming.
Something has to give eventually.

I used to tell people.... "DIY or DIE" as a joke, but soon that is going to mean something.
The (very) few of us that can fend for ourselves will be fine if the invisible enemy doesn't take us down, but I don't have much hope for the rest of the heard.

Where we are now (USA as an example) is the very tip of the ice-burg. The next two months are going to make this look like a dream holiday.

I hope my attitude promotes fear, because if ever there was a time that fear was important, it is now.
Stay the $%@! home!

Brad

The number of people out & about displaying an "Optimism Bias" by walking around in groups (teenagers) is scary.
It isn't confined to the young either; I watched in amazement as my elderly (means "older than me") neighbour and his wife climbed into the back of a small car to go off for a "walk" with two of their friends.
TBH I am not so paranoid as to wear a mask and gloves when out in public but I do keep my distance from folk and avoid all unnecessary physical contact. I think what we have seen so far is just the tip of the spear.
The mortality rate isn't like Ebola but the contagion rate is aggressive. This novel virus will be with us in new and varied forms for years to come.

The confirmed world rate has now passed 1 million. This virus has an exponential curve which means in 4 to 6 days from today Apr 4 it may reach 2 million. I'll just leave that number here and check back in 4 days.

I think most of the first world have taken enough measures to check the exponential nature. Many European countries have already turned exponential into linear. Still not good but at least an improvement. The poorer countries, the more corrupt ones and the more secretive ones will leave the figures and the true nature of it in the realm of guesswork.

I have currently no idea how checking the advance will ultimately stop it as you only need one person to restart the whole thing again. I can't escape the belief that unless we get a vaccine we will all need to be exposed up to at least herd immunity levels. The real worry is if this becomes endemic. There are 4 other coronaviruses that are. Covid-19 is already up to 8 different strains. My eldest daughter has just recovered from it. She is a healthy 22 year old and yet at it's height just completing a sentence was too much for her.

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Yes, I agree that right now the "best case" measures are only a stop gap solution.
Without a vaccine (and the logistics to deliver), this is going to by cyclical.
It could be a long road ahead.

All of my DIY skills are going to be focused on self sustenance projects this year.
I feel it is my duty to place that information here as well, and will do so.

In a "worst case" scenario, we will be the "last of us". Those with DIY survival skills.

Brad

While not an "anti-vaxer" by any means I am a little uncomfortable with the idea of a mass vaccination against this one.
How many times have they got the yearly "Flu-jab" incorrect and spent millions on a useless programme that did nothing?
I'm only 65 but I have NEVER had what I would recognise as "Flu" ever. Maybe I just have (been lucky/have a strong constitution that sees it as a 'cold'/am immune).
I don't take the offered flu-jab and am happy that some other person can have mine and save the NHS the money.
If they start talking "mandatory vaccination against Covid-19, for the good of the herd" I shall be somewhat distressed.

The flu jab only immunises against last years flu. Flu mutates readily and current vaccines can not deal with that. There is hope that future technology may enable vaccines to deal with it. For diseases that do not mutate current vaccines are very effective. If a vaccine can be produced I would support mandatory vaccinations. If the virus mutates we have lost nothing but money and even only getting this years version into any vaccine will still save many lives.

Not making such a vaccine mandatory puts herd immunity at risk* thus risking not just those who made their choice but those who's choice was made by a parent and those unable to be vaccinated for medical or age reasons too. There is also the matter of people who do not show symptoms still being carriers and infecting others. The latest research / guesswork is that "possibly" 1 in 4 people who get Covid-19 are asymptomatic yet infectious. Whilst the figures are probably up for revision as new evidence emerges we know for certain that many other diseases have such carriers. "For the good of the many" is a line oft trotted out to suppress freedoms when the reality is that trading freedom for safety can often get you neither. I believe this is about as good an example as you can get where "for the good of the many" really does take precedence over individual freedom.

I say that with no intent to insult or belittle anyone holding other views but I also make no apology for holding my own view.

*Measles in the UK is markedly up as a direct result of children not getting the MMR jab because their parents believed Andrew Wakefield who is now a millionaire after being funded by those believing him. He also shares a bed with Elle, the body, Macpherson if you wanted further reason to dislike him.

Last edited: