Any one in need of a new motor ? nice old RR

Hi all

Auction for a old RR 1972 ?

The Beast

Sadly only got a 3 speed auto so does about 2 mpg !

The Mechanics

• Merlin 27,000cc V12 engine
  • Custom ‘step up’ GM Turbo 400 three-speed auto
  • Austin Westminster steering
  • Bespoke rear suspension
  • Currie heavy duty rear axle
Paul

I remember it from the 70s. Merlin sounds better than Meteor though. The Meteor was the same basic engine as the Merlin but minus the supercharger and saw use in tanks which is what this is. There's also Charlie Broomfield's SD1 Meteor engined beast.

Though if you want the best engine sound I think it's this V8 two stroke Volvo. I've always loved a stroker!

Yes I remember it in the Hot Car magazine when it had the better red body style , destroyed in a fire apparently.

IIRC the Meteor engine had a rev limiter on the distributor limiting it to 2,500 rpm !

Paul

If I had the money, I would buy the car, remove the Merlin, and give it the real place it should be. Next to his brother in a flying , active Mosquito.

Fun fact. With Roaming Robots (live event organiser with "combat robots") we had a few years at RIAT as an "attraction".
The 2008 RIAT was canceled due the extremely wet weather in advance. But for the stand-holders, the camping grounds were opened before cancelation, so, we had a very relaxed RIAT, we did our thing with the robots , and enjoyed the show, as most of the aircraft and crews were there too, and they didn't think weather should keep them back.
But on a muddy campsite, friday evening, but before dusk, after setting up shop, we were enjoying a brew (or many). We heard a big piston engine roaring to life. And a bit after that, a deep rumble started. The piston engine kept on revving, and the sound changing due dopplering.
One of the guys, a real airplane enthousiast, remarked "without that deep rumble, I would say, a Spitfire or Hurricane just took off, but the rumble isn't normal, that's something way bigger...."
A bit later, we knew he was right. A Spitfire burst over us, engine giving it all, full throttle, propeller screaming.... followed by a Eurofighter Typhoon, doing its best not to overshoot the spitfire. That explained the rumble. :)

It seems it became a staple crowdpleaser after that year.
Spitfire and Typhoon Display from RIAT 2010 - YouTube

But the most impressive, beautifull thing I have seen in the sky with my own eyes....

B-52 flypast followed by very impressive Avro Vulcan XH558 take off 19.07.2009 RIAT RAF Fairford - YouTube