Appropriate head tube for Meridian frame?

Hi all,

I’m committed to finally, at least, getting a rolling Meridian frame built by the end of the month. However, the only 20” frame I currently have available to harvest a front end from is this one. Looks like it is a Tony Hawk-branded “stunt BMX” whose head tube is supposed to be able to rotate a full 360 degrees, and it has some kind of odd adapter collar to enable the brake cable to still function. Also, it is currently rusted frozen and won’t rotate at all.

Think it will be relatively straightforward to salvage this one, or should I move on?

Banglen, Thailand and a little bit Reading, UK
.....difficult to see from the pic, but one or both of the frame main tubes could be used to made headtubes...........maybe..........if you're lucky.
I'd say go at it with an angle grinder, and see if a headset bearing cup looks like it would press fit into the tube - 1" or 1 1/8", not sure?
If lucky, you'll have extra headtube for a few builds, if not - back to the scrapyard :)

SirJoey

Super Moderator
I too built the Meridian. Good handling, & very comfy,
it was a great bike!
Only wish I could've kept it. 😞

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
That head tube will work just fine. That adapter is a plate that allows the brakes to pull across a collar that can rotate 360 degrees. you can get rid of those parts.
You will most likely require new cups and bearings unless somehow that is only surface rust.

Thanks!
Brad