As Popeye Said........ "I can't standz no more"

Great progress.....

Does you bum look little in that ?
EVEN my bum looks little in there. ;)
The space inside seems "HUGE" compared to my little workshop. A neighbour came over and asked if it was a "kit" build and seemed surprised when I said "No, just raw materials assembled to a self-designed plan".
Thom is certainly earning his day-rate and he paid me a lovely compliment by saying we only got so far because I kept up with him all day on all the cladding cutting and fixing (he's 31, I'm 65) and my body definitely knows I have been working hard.
Weather looks bad for tomorrow, but we are hoping to get the roof boards and edgings on, and the EPDM roof membrane on, then we can work inside and lay the flooring and do the plywood lining.

Update 4th June 2020:
All I can say really is "Wow!" and "By Golly I am exhausted!"
The shed seems massive inside (compared to what I am used to).
Similar comments were made about my new shed/shop. It 'will' become smaller in no time.
See Danny, if your wood is wet (fresh milled) when building, it will shrink as it dries.
Therefore your shed will be smaller. :D

But looking great so far.

Similar comments were made about my new shed/shop. It 'will' become smaller in no time.
See Danny, if your wood is wet (fresh milled) when building, it will shrink as it dries.
Therefore your shed will be smaller. :D

But looking great so far.
Allegedly it is all kiln-dried lumber, but I know exactly what you mean Ed'.

Update 5th June 2020:

Today was another "full-On" day. We were beset by changeable weather that was at times blowing a gale and lashing with rain and other times short periods of warming sunshine.
We made it a priority to get the roof board on in one non-raining spell and then we threw the EPDM rubber roof covering over the top and batten fixed the overhang at the sides so that the gist could not lift it off and send it sailing away. In the rainy spells we put the flooring down inside the shed and I was delighted that it went exactly as planned with minimal need for any cutting or fiddly fitting of the 4' x 8' sheets of OSB board.

Late in the afternoon (c.5PM) a bright spell that looked like it would last for more than 5 minutes occurred and we raced to fully affix (latex cement and edging trims) all of the rubber roofing.
It was done before the rain returned and that was close of business for today at 19:15.

Tomorrow we will fit the last 4 feather-edge boars under the eaves of the roofing and close all the gaps, and line the walls inside with the plywood sheeting.

Another exhausting day but I am pleased with the progress.

Last edited:
Update 6th June 2020:

Well, apart from making a door/doors the shed is now structurally complete.
The last pieces of plywood lining went on this afternoon and then 30 seconds after we ventured outside to cut and fit the 3 final pieces of the siding on (to fit up under the rafters and into the underside of the roof) the heavens opened in a thunderstorm and torrential rain and we got soaked through (we declined to retreat into the dry of the shed with so little left to do and the weather forecast was saying rain would continue till 10PM).
So the shed is built, now I will fit it out with shelving etc.

So the shed is built, now I will fit it out with shelving etc.
Well, now you have gone and done it.

I'm now inspired to get the remaining materials to finish off the inside of my shop.
It's either that or I need to make/buy more carts to put my, 'stuff' on.

It's the shelving I need the most.
Any surface that's in the horizontal position is in danger of being a collection point.

First will be to finish the walls, (insulate and cover).
Maybe later I will tackle insulating the ceiling against the summer heat.
I used to not mind working in 100+ heat but now days not so much.
And my shop is already over that.

Well, now you have gone and done it.

I'm now inspired to get the remaining materials to finish off the inside of my shop.
It's either that or I need to make/buy more carts to put my, 'stuff' on.

It's the shelving I need the most.
Any surface that's in the horizontal position is in danger of being a collection point.

First will be to finish the walls, (insulate and cover).
Maybe later I will tackle insulating the ceiling against the summer heat.
I used to not mind working in 100+ heat but now days not so much.
And my shop is already over that.
The problem in the garage workshop is that everything on the shelves gets covered in a pine patina of grinder and metal dust, but out here in this shed it will just be spider dirt's and the like.
The wastage on the project was so little that 1 enforced design change meant that I am left with 1 whole 8 x 4 sheet of OSB board and 1 sheet of 9mm plywood and some off-cuts about 12" wide and 8 feet long.
This is all prime material for conversion into a light-duty work/storage bench and wall mounted shelves.

I am so surprised that a staple of my DIY shelf building (2 x 1 rough-sawn timber) has disappeared from sale round here. It makes perfect rear support battens and 45-degree shelf struts.
I shall have to cast my net wider or shop online.

Update 8th June 2020:

Today was spent making 2 door skeleton frames from lumber for the shed doorway and fitting them in place.
Tomorrow I shall cut the siding timber and affix it to the door skeletons.
For tonight, the old 5-foot tall doors from the old shed are propped & braced against these new doors to dissuade the foxes and badgers from taking up residence.

My wife very kindly gave all the non-tanalised timber a coat of Sadolin Black stain while I made the doors on our patio.

I am hoping to get the doors finished tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just an observation. I made similar doors and they allowed rain to soak in at the bottom.
So think about possibly putting down a waterproof door sill plate.

Just an observation. I made similar doors and they allowed rain to soak in at the bottom.
So think about possibly putting down a waterproof door sill plate.
Hi Ed'
The feather-edge siding on the doors will extend below the cill, same as the rest of the siding does all around the building. Its profile provides an in-built "drip" as it is 30mm thick on the bottom edge.
An internal bar will be placed behind the doors across the threshold too, to ensure the doors cannot be forced inwards. Well, that's the plan, at least.

Update 9th June 2020:

Today I finished the doors. I put the feather-edge siding on the front-face of the doors, incorporating an overhanging drip-bar at the top (to stop water dripping onto the tops of the doors) and the siding goes past the door-cill at the bottom. Internal shoot-bolts (top and bottom) were fitted to the inside of the left hand door and a hasp was fitted across the pair of doors at the front.
While I was doing all this, my wife put another coat of black stain/weatherproofing on the barge-boards and corner posts. Finally, she put a dab of paint on the exposed timbers of the door carcasses.
Now I need to build a ramp to wheel the mower and the generator up into the shed.

Last edited:
Update 11th June 2020:

In the early part of the day the weather was a bit "dodgy" with a dampness and a chill and the odd spot of rain and I waited for it to brighten up before I could really get out there and get stuff done.
The later part of the day 11AM till 5PM was spent fitting out the shed with a bench and shelves made from leftover pieces of the main structure's build.
I am very pleased in that it has gone exactly to plan and there is now a decent 8 foot by 2 foot bench-top and at least 24 square feet of shelf space in the first pass and the first level. More shelving will go above this so eventually there will be over 100 Sq. Feet of "off the floor" storage as well as the whole floor area.

Here are some pictures of the close-of-play state of the inside of the shed (please excuse the untidiness, I am shuffling stuff all over the place to work on each wall as I go round the room).

Update Friday 12th June 2020:

Today I put some more shelves up and then had a good tidy-up and took most of the stuff off the floor (except for two 8 x 4 foot plywood sheets which are too long to fit in either direction) and I gave the floor I could get at 2 coats of water-based varnish. Not ideal, but it dries quickly and will help to keep the shed clean and dust/dirt free. Tomorrow I will move the ply-sheets over across the room and give the strip they are covering up 2 coats. Then one final coat and that should be enough.

Pictures below.

Update Saturday 13th of June 2020:

OK, its all done. I finished giving the entire floor 2 coats of varnish, finished all of the current shelving and their supports, mounted 4 LED lighting strips and carried a huge battery down there and wired it up.
Then I put some of the tools in there (and the scaffold-tower and the 4-stroke petrol, generator) and closed up for the day (my back was complaining like Billy-Oh!) :(

Next week I shall begin sorting through my workshop for all non-essential day to day tools and relocating them to the shed.
I am very pleased with how it has all turned out.