BPCC racing about 6 mins great fun , very fast !

Hi all

Royce's teams "Pink Panther" pedal car at Blackbush

Notice it appears to be a helmet camera and you can see him lean into the bends

200+ pictures showing how to build a pedal car ?

Pedal car build

Good shot of built chassis

Coroplast floor pan

regards Paul

Makes my eyes water just looking at the chain run on the chassis pic. Don't brake hard eh!

Looks like great fun and really exciting considering the speeds they are actually doing most of the time. Looks much faster.

Great to see all the different mechanical designs in the different types of trikes and quads people have built. Thanks again for the info Paul.

John

Makes my eyes water just looking at the chain run on the chassis pic. Don't brake hard eh!
The other way they use is one/two chains down the side from a jack-shaft , transmission seems to be 1 x ? so all done on the jack-shaft hence 2 outside chains.

Looks like great fun and really exciting considering the speeds they are actually doing most of the time. Looks much faster.
I think it is the fact there is a mass of similar looking cars generally all bunched up at the corners that adds to the appeal/fun

Great to see all the different mechanical designs in the different types of trikes and quads people have built.
Research i want to build a delta [ would like a quad , however turning circle probably to small ] so currently undecided whether mono boom [ like Brads ] or perimeter chassis as the Finnish ones and the pedal cars , probably the latter.

Paul

The British Pedal Car Grand-Prix is running again at Ringwood this year. :D
After Covid stopped it for a few years.

There's a lot to be said for the perimeter rail or better, spaceframe type of chassis. Obviously lighter steel tubing but also more available fixing points for hanging things such as suspension arms etc. on. Making the result much lighter weight than Brad's design could be more difficult I'd imagine. Lighter steel but more of it to get the strength and more careful welded joints for sure.

I wonder if 'through the town of Ringwood' actually means they race the pedal cars through the town. Can't imagine the locals would be terrifically keen to have their streets taken over for racing, even relatively quiet racing.
Mind you it would be far less annoying than the herberts who drag race their motorbikes up and down the A17 a few hundred yards from us on Summer weekends.

I'd quite like to watch the racing for an hour or two but could never justify the long drive there and back to do so. Have you been along to one of the events Danny?
John

There's a lot to be said for the perimeter rail or better, spaceframe type of chassis. Obviously lighter steel tubing but also more available fixing points for hanging things such as suspension arms etc. on. Making the result much lighter weight than Brad's design could be more difficult I'd imagine. Lighter steel but more of it to get the strength and more careful welded joints for sure.

I wonder if 'through the town of Ringwood' actually means they race the pedal cars through the town. Can't imagine the locals would be terrifically keen to have their streets taken over for racing, even relatively quiet racing.
Mind you it would be far less annoying than the herberts who drag race their motorbikes up and down the A17 a few hundred yards from us on Summer weekends.

I'd quite like to watch the racing for an hour or two but could never justify the long drive there and back to do so. Have you been along to one of the events Danny?
John
Sadly not Jonrev, but it has been a feature event for years as I understand it and we did once plan to go just to watch the fun.
They block off the centre of town and run it there. It has been going since 1987 and is a bit of a "legend".

The race itself runs on the Sunday and is a two hour endurance race around the closed off streets of Ringwood town centre. The pedal cars assemble in the Furlong Centre from 10.00am, and are displayed there for the morning, prior to the parade laps from 2.30pm, with the race starting at 3.00pm. Spectators are able to walk around the whole course to watch the race from various different vantage points.
The whole emphasis of the event is to have FUN! The pedal cars vary greatly in design with some very light and aerodynamic competitive cars, whilst others are built to amuse the crowds. Each car has a team of up to four pedallers who can change over as many times as they like, which makes pit lane viewing very interesting for the spectators!

The event also raises sponsorship money that is then donated to various charities decided by pedal car committee. The emphasis being to ensure that two or three local charities are beneficiaries of the money raised, and usually a cross section of charities are chosen so that the money benefits both the young and not so young alike.
As well as local competitors, the race also attracts entrants from across the country. In 2016 teams travelled from Bristol, Rugby and Chippenham and even Germany to take part. Some are members of the British Pedal Car Committee, and hope to come and give our local teams something to think about!
The British Pedal Car Grand Prix first took place in Ringwood in 1987, and has steadily grown in popularity since. The race now attracts thousands of spectators, and has even been filmed by both BBC Television and Satellite TV. There are pedal car activities on both the Saturday and Sunday. The judging of the Concours D’ Elegance is always held on the Saturday so that members of the public can come along and get a sneak preview of the competing cars.

Yes my thoughts especially as the transmission needs fixing points , the body panels and suspension.
I like the idea of the Z type pedals , that gives you the ability to run a chain down either side to a jack shaft so getting it out of the body and easier to work on.
Should make getting in easier as well as no centre boom to climb over.

Paul

Danny that does sound like a good outing. I used to go to Kit Car shows every year at Stonely and Newark showgrounds with my caravan. They were a great weekend with not just the car stands but events outside such as RC car racing and fairground type rides plus car jumble and craft fair etc. The whole family enjoyed them. Not sure Joan would have a lot of enthusiasm for the pedal car event and that journey doesn't appeal to me either.

Paul yes I like the Z pedal shaft idea. Can make a really simple direct chain run to one rear wheel if you want the simplest setup. No need for the jackshaft weight or complexity. I was thinking last night that a perimeter rail chassis with Z pedal shaft and a sprung rear axle could make a fairly simple comfortable ride as long as I tried hard to keep weight down.

Just wish life didn't keep interrupting the serious business of shed time.
John