Build your own wheels.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member

This tutorial will show you how to remove all of the spokes in a wheel and then reinstall them in the common 3-cross lacing pattern.
This tutorial will also demonstrate some of the techniques used to true the wheel after it has been put back together.
To follow along, you will need a wheel of any diameter with 36 spokes and a sharp flat head screwdriver.

See the extended version and many more here...

I followed the video Brad posted for how to lace a wheel. I think I did that correctly, but for some reason I can't get the spokes to tighten up properly so I can true them. It's as though they are "too long" even after they are tightened as far as the nipples go and the ends of the spokes stick out dangerously (see photo) the other photo shows the wheel I was copying (with tire) and the wheel I rebuilt. It looks like I got the pattern correctly, but still the spokes are too loose.

Any guidance or tips are much appreciated. Thanks again to Brad for his video tutorial....

Dan in Boston.

Looks like you already identified the issue with the "too long" description. You appear to have run the nipples to the end of the spoke threads. I suggest you pick a few online spoke length calculators and remeasure things.

I forgot to mention that the wheel I am building I also took apart, just for practice. If they were tight when I dismantled it why loose now? It's a mystery....