Building Organic Transit ELF vechicle

I want to make an Elf like velomobile. The frame does not look that hard and I like how they have a dual drive system. And I also like how they use a Nuvinci drive and a hub motor both of which do not need custom spoked on a wheel!
2 questions: Where are they getting those squarish aluminum extrusions that have 3 bolts to mount the hubs?
and my second question is what kind of custom fat hub are they using on the rear wheel that has a sprocket on each side. Where could I buy something like that. And yes I realize I will probablay have to custom spoke it to a wheel. the youtube video shows the fat hub on back tire. the drive system is explained at 1:45 in the youtube video.

Looks like earlier version used a welded bracket instead with a wheel that has slide out axel. I've never seen a slide out axel like that before. Never worked on a bike with disc brakes is probabaly the reason, lol.

Last edited:
I want to make an Elf like velomobile. The frame does not look that hard and I like how they have a dual drive system. And I also like how they use a Nuvinci drive and a hub motor both of which do not need custom spoked on a wheel!
Whilst it looks nice and obviously I can't knock it as the guy is selling them and they are being used.
It is big , so much seems to be wasted space ? height & width ? and quite long which in the UK would seriously limit the places you could use it ie roads ONLY !

2 questions: Where are they getting those squarish aluminum extrusions that have 3 bolts to mount the hubs?
Where are they shown ?

and my second question is what kind of custom fat hub are they using on the rear wheel that has a sprocket on each side.
They call that a flywheel in the commentary ?

Where could I buy something like that.
Well as they build the frame and the body it is not beyond reason that they build that as well ?

"Well as they build the frame and the body it is not beyond reason that they build that as well ?"
they could of paid an aluminum extrusion company $1500 for a die and another $2000 for a minimum run of a custom extrusion. If I can't get that extrusion than I will just buy some 1.75" square tube with 0.93" wall and weld a flat bar to it to create something similar. I can use UMHW plastic strips on the inside to let the piece slide and 3 set screws to lock it in place.

there is a used elf on ebay version 1.5 in colorado, with broken hub motor $1500 plus $500 to ship that I thought about buying, but for about the same price or more likely less I can make my own. still waiting on 6061 1.5x1.5 tubing to come from florida.

Personally I do not think anyone will buy the Elf company and save it from bankrupency so I might be able to buy parts frame etc if they auction stuff off. There are also a couple of start up companies that I might beta test.

Website
patrike.synthasite.com
there is a used elf on ebay version 1.5 in colorado, with broken hub motor $1500 plus $500 to ship that I thought about buying, but for about the same price or more likely less I can make my own. still waiting on 6061 1.5x1.5 tubing to come from florida.
The shell is the hardest thing to make

Website
patrike.synthasite.com
Personally I do not think anyone will buy the Elf company and save it from bankrupency so I might be able to buy parts frame etc if they auction stuff off. There are also a couple of start up companies that I might beta test.
Yep - what a shame they could not make it. More business for PEBL!

Website
patrike.synthasite.com
7mil$ revenue - 850 units sold -- 8235.29$ per unit -- their profit margin was low!!

Elf sold most of the units about 500 in the first 4 years, as they rose prices the volume went down.

pebl only makes a few dozen vehicles a year, they too are too expensive!. Honestly I think farming the frame out to China, shipping them UPS and then having some sort of bolt together shell is the best way to make these affordable. Shipping alone is $500 to $700 for these big bikes.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Seems like there are a few business opportunities around for those able to jump in. Maybe all these varieties are going through a phase that will, obviously, settle out some time.

It is one thing to have a completely new product without any competition. It is another to have a product that is a variation on something that has been around for years like the motor car. What is the best electric car configuration to compete (overtake, actually, and no pun intended) that?

What is the best configuration for electric versions of bicycles?

Finally, what is the best configuration for what is a cross between a motor vehicle and an electric bicycle, and how do you go about making it for the best economic out-turn? Then there are car-like trikes (Pebl, Elf, etc.), and trike-like cars (Solo Electra Meccanica). We might be getting close to the tipping point where the ideal general design is reached and, like motor vehicle manufacture, construction moves into mass production. Prices should then tumble.

In the meantime, it's a nice ride - pun intended.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
trike electric vehicle.
Aha, now I know. Seems to have a lot in it. Haven't seen the price at this stage but I imagine it is not cheap. Had a look at the "How to order your SAM electric vehicle" video. Certainly a contender. Just hang about for a little while and you may be able to buy the Elio factory/plans/moulds, etc., for a song, although I have no idea what your voice is like.

The words "Startup" or "Pre-order" blunt my interest a little, especially when so many have not really produced any.