Chainless Tilting Tadpole Velo

you can use 1/8" wall aluminum for the bottom frame, but for the top part that holds your roof, doors, etc 1/16 or thinner tubing is more than enough. I am working on a velo top that is using 3/4" square tube with 0.040" thin walls Ten feet of this is about 1.5 lbs in weight

Website
patrike.synthasite.com
you can use 1/8" wall aluminum for the bottom frame, but for the top part that holds your roof, doors, etc 1/16 or thinner tubing is more than enough. I am working on a velo top that is using 3/4" square tube with 0.040" thin walls Ten feet of this is about 1.5 lbs in weight
Thx.
Since the frame/body will be the a single super structure, I was thinking minimum 1/8. With the plexi cover riveted to the outside to add to the rigidity I might be able to get away with 1/16. I thought I had a ton of 1/8 in the garage but I put my finger in the end and I feels like it is 1/16.
Cheers

maximum 1/8" not really any reason to go thicker
6061 is available in 3/32 walls which is what I plan to use. even then I have to wait 2 weeks for it to be shuttled up from Florida to NC. I would use 1/16, but no one stocks it in that wall thickness locally.

Website
patrike.synthasite.com
I would use 1/16, but no one stocks it in that wall thickness locally.
I think that is what I have a huge stock of in my garage from a camper project that I never finished (King of unfinished projects) -- up in rafters now so cant check it till I go to use it. I also have some 1/8 bits should I need, maybe the front and rear wheel pieces need 1/8 as they will take a pounding.
I am currently putting up some new shelving and doing a massive basement/garage reorg - then I need to build a car hitch propane carrier to bring to get my 100lb tank refilled at Costco - then I think I will build a new wheeled work table/welding station. the last table I built it was too big and heavy(500lbs) for my garage and I got rid of it. Need one that is light with folding extension. Hopefully I will have a working trike for early spring.
Cheers

6063 alloy tube can easily be found in 1/16 wall thickness, howevber 6061 alloy is more of a structural grade and is very hard to find in thinner wall locally.
6061 is stronger and what most aluminum bikes are made of.

When I learned to ride my recumbent bicycle I had to learn to lean by steering a lot more than leaning my body over. So this kind of machine would be similar to riding a recumbent bicycle with improved road grip on the front wheels. It is a lot of fun to whip around a corner while laying back at 35 degrees.

If you climb steep hills with cargo and using a direct drive hub motor, two are much better than one.

If you need tow motors on a single drive wheel, think about using a hub motor and a single reduction ration 415 chain drive. That would give you a low gear for hill climbing. Ya I know ....chains are a headache at times. But if they don't shift it is not as big of a problem.

I thought you might be interested in this Open Source trike project just in case you haven't seen it before: opensourceecology.org/wiki/Velocar

Website
patrike.synthasite.com
If you need tow motors on a single drive wheel, think about using a hub motor and a single reduction ration 415 chain drive. That would give you a low gear for hill climbing. Ya I know ....chains are a headache at times. But if they don't shift it is not as big of a problem.

I thought you might be interested in this Open Source trike project just in case you haven't seen it before: opensourceecology.org/wiki/Velocar
Thanks for your interest
I did think of a single gear - on of my favorite ride developments to watch uses one, Electrom - but then decided no -- I hate chains that much! We live in the 21st century with some amazing tech. As far as I am concerned, chains are just another, noisy, greasy point of maintenance I dont want.

I looked at the link -- looks interesting -- I did not see much development for 6 years.

Cheers

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Appears to be a lot of mass in that one. It looks like he has pedals ultimately connected to a Fisher & Paykel electric motor drive and then to the rear wheel but there certainly seems to be some intermediate complexity. The last half of the video mentions pedal generator +2 years later, so he made some changes.