converting tadpole recumbent =lawnmower

being physically unable to mow my own lawn, thinking about morphing a tadpole recumbent into a riding mower.
acquiring an old lawn mower deck, use a brushless motor for the blade power and the rear wheel w/ integrated motor for motive power.
Using the rear wheel with motor will allow forward/reverse. Use a chain driven blade for cutting.
Any thoughts on this idea.
The deck would be in front where the pedals are usually.
would use lead acid batteries.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I like it!
My choice would be a tadpole trike, but with a rear steer wheel and ratcheting dual wheel front drive.
Small turning circle, and plenty of room for the front mounted deck.

Brad

Sounds like a worthwhile project.
The alternative might be something like this.

yes I thought about a robotic lawn mower but you need to have a wire burred under the ground around the perimeter.
And IMO wouldn't be as much fun?
I like the idea of rear wheel steering but ratcheting dual wheel front drive.
remember reverse is not an issue with the motorized wheels.

You can hire kids to do it also. Then you don't need a motor to power the bike. They will pedal and will like to do it.

Rear wheel steering is best as you want 2 wheels in front. Ad a trailer and you can also cary other tools with you.

What about just having a regular recumbent bike and only making a removable attachment to push or drag an existing (or home made) lawnmower? Then you can use the bike for other riding too. It's also less effort and time for design and construction... which could be good or bad.

I mentioned this idea to wife and she basically said no, hire a gardener then the weed eating etc. can get done.

I mentioned this idea to wife and she basically said no, hire a gardener then the weed eating etc. can get done.
Maybe it was the way you presented it.

By goat - Grass - Obliterater -And - Trimmer

It's like a trifecta- Grass control, milk producer, and plant fertilizer.