Delta/quad jack shaft recommendations for build ?

Hi all

Time to think about how to build a jackshaft for the proposed delta/quad so a couple of questions ?
Specs:-
2wd drive
mounts cassette in centre
my weight 74kg - 164lb
I suspect machine will [ especially with camping gear ] be just over 1/2 that as well.
No brakes on it just a freewheel each end

a) solid rod or tube for axle ?
b) anyone tried mounting a freehub [ no freewheel function needed ] on an axle ? to use the newer cassettes , means more choice of ratios and gets rid of the annoying step in the screw on freewheel

Any other considerations ?

Paul

a) Solid rod or tube for an axle?
- Hmm... given the same material a tube is stronger than a rod if of equal mass, but this is misleading. Because a 16mm tube will bend easier than a 16mm rod (not the same mass y'see).
Personally, I would go with rod. :)
b) Freehub on an axle?
- Nope not done it on an axle, and I cannot see how you would do it or how you would get a cassette/set of sprockets on it if you did. Sorry. :( Maybe I am mis-imagining what you are trying to do.

I presume you want to fit a 11-40 or bigger rear cassette. No freewheel?
I would get a piece of steel with same dia. as the cassette holders splines and get it machined with 12 splines or use a cutting disc and file to do the same.

I presume you want to fit a 11-40 or bigger rear cassette. No freewheel?
I would get a piece of steel with same dia. as the cassette holders splines and get it machined with 12 splines or use a cutting disc and file to do the same.
Pegasus

Yes trying for a 1 x 8 transmission with much wider gear range , so much simpler ?
Especially if front mech buried in some body work and un-reachable ?

Paul

b) Freehub on an axle?
- Nope not done it on an axle, and I cannot see how you would do it or how you would get a cassette/set of sprockets on it if you did.
Same as another ? slide on and screw on retainer ?

I want this on the axle :-

mavic-allroad-5-1a511cc.jpg

and not this
high-low-steps-jpg.1338811

The one above is a screw on and has stepped splines so not all sprockets can go in all positions , making custom combinations difficult.
Also the biggest you can get off the shelf is the Megarange 36T and it is hard to get the ones between 36T and the 28T [ normal most commen large ] to reduce the steps.

Paul

Are you splitting the axle?
No the current plan is for the jack shaft to be full width with a freewheel at each end and the cassette in the middle sat under the front of the seat .
The driven wheels will be 2 x M14 axled BMX hubs laced to some standard rims for 1.75" tyres with a sprocket of some sort fastened to either the hub body [ welded ] or a fitting made to bolt to the disc mounts and driven by 2 chains running either side of the seat.

The brakes would have to be on these hubs as well if a delta , same rear end could power a quad and the brakes could then be either there or on the front wheels , undecided at present.

Paul

I’ve only seen freehub adapters, not freewheel. I would think the placement of the ratchet on a freewheel would complicate matters. You would have to have at least the drive side of the hub attached to the axle. Which means either nuts and bolts or an aluminum axle, each bad for different reasons.
If you could do it up in CAD, you could get someone to custom machine something out of steel.

You would need an axle narrow enough so that it allowed the cassette locking ring to slide over it and preferably the tightening tool too, though you could probably bodge around that.

Pegasus/Popshot

This is probably the downfall of this idea ?

freehub.jpg

Now the 13.8mm maybe the inside dimension of the screw on part , it is hard to tell.
I understood the screw thread showing in the picture above was a threaded tube with a M10 key hole on the inside [ just visible inside the right hand freehub]
If it is removed the hole may be bigger ?
It only needs to be keyed to the shaft the freewheel does not need to work as there will be one at each end of the shaft.

Paul

Hi all

it seems they do it here :- UK Pedal car build pictures

97425846_10158454640381686_1391831216520429568_n.jpg
this half shaft has a hex end to fit in ...

98204954_10158454640031686_4278466847692554240_n.jpg
here.

97478277_10158454640396686_5057269307516387328_n.jpg
no clue as to how it was fixed to the shaft though

97059242_10158454640401686_4529787073766359040_n.jpg

In pedal car racing circles they call it 2WD however it uses a single chain and no differential most odd.

99142035_10158477523151686_2571620103795769344_n.jpg

Paul

freehub.jpg

Now the 13.8mm maybe the inside dimension of the screw on part , it is hard to tell.
Most likely, they are made for either a ball bearing or bearing ring, by choosing the ball bearing type you don't have the hardened insert for the bearing ring.
My thought was to enlarge the through hole to the same as your axle, if your axle is 19mm I would remove the M22 tread altogether, by making a steel bush in the same size as a ball bearing with your axles center hole, you can weld the cassette holder to the axel on the M22 side and spot weld the steel bush to the inside and the shaft, off course this will only work if the cassette holder is machinable and weldable.

Hi all

Been into the stores found I had 2 of these freehubs and one fastened to a hub.

I can't find the hex fixing inner threaded parts sadly.

However a M14 bolt will pass through the freehub which is promising.

Paul

Ok so bought this :-

DSCF6462-sm.jpg

A Shimano non disk brake freehub hub , as it where.
The threaded part [ M10 hex hole inside ] holds the freehub on the right into the hub on the left and drives by the castellated part visible in the hub end.

DSCF6463-sm.jpg

Ten minutes after I opened it , it met Mr Hacksaw and now looks like this , the blob of grease is on the screw in inner.

It is obvious there is insufficient meat to cleanly drill the spokes holes out to M6 , although I many have to do that if I can't figure out what this bit is/does ?

DSCF6460-a-b-sm.jpg

Anyone know what A does and whether I can release B by fiddling with it ?

Paul

Hi all

To answer my own question A is just held in with grease and when popped out reveals exactly nothing !
Looks like the steel part has the hub cast around it.

Paul

Back