Deltawolf eTrike

Hi All, been meaning to post this for a quite a while now, about 12 months ago I started to build the Deltawolf with the intention to make it electrically assisted and here it is. It's still a work in progress, but I use it for commuting as it is currently.

Spec.
7speed conventional bicycle gears with a large 68t chainring
72v LiPo4 battery and a 750w motor, the power is driven by a twist grip throttle as well as pedal assist sensor.
It has a limited mode so will only provide power to 16mph and a non limited mode which I've had to 40mph
Range is estimated to about 80-100km on a single charge, I didn't want to risk any further incase battery went flat but had done 70km and still had 60v left 54v is battery/speed controller lower limit.
Has all the lights a road legal motorcycle would have, even brake light, all LEDs and a horn!
26" wheels with large soft tyres
Built in charger
Weather proof box with room for my work laptop for commuting
2 sets of disk brakes on rear and brake on front
Soft seat
Rear facing mirror
Garmin mounts
And a flag!

Rich (BB code):

Yes I have a freehub on the motor sprocket side as well as so both the motor and or conventional pedal driven cassette can be used independent of each other or at the same time

Very very nice , well done.

Paul

No, its size and position is such that when your sat in it its hidden by the riders silouete so there is no additional frontal drag other than the rider, certanly a tail wind may help push the e-trike but would have to be more than 30mph or 50kph to make a notiable impact.

No, its size and position is such that when your sat in it its hidden by the riders silouete so there is no additional frontal drag other than the rider, certanly a tail wind may help push the e-trike but would have to be more than 30mph or 50kph to make a notiable impact.
Pretty cool!

Just rediscovered your master piece !

Am planning something very similar myself and wondered what the U/J's were off that you have used in the steering ?

Is there much slop in them ?

regards Paul

They look like car steering column UJs and as such there'd be zero slop if in good order.
yes however the trick is knowing what they are off as some are 14mm and some are 19mm , 19mm being a bit of over kill in this application ?

Paul

yes however the trick is knowing what they are off as some are 14mm and some are 19mm , 19mm being a bit of over kill in this application ?

Paul
Go-Kart UJ's?

Go-Kart UJ's?
Dan

knocked it out the ball park I think ....

Just need to find somewhere that sells the U/J part seperately.

Paul

Those parts are primarily found on cheap Chinese made off road buggies. Karts don't have rack and pinion steering so don't need ujs. There's a large supply on ebay. Search "buggy steering knuckle". To all intents and purposes it's identical to many you'll find on cars in terms of size and performance.

Rather than buy some car part in the hope it will do I have bough a pair of these :-

(10 * 10mm) Universal Joint Shaft Coupling Motor Connector DIY
Specification:
Material: Nickle plated iron
Inner Diameter: 810mm, 1010mm (Optional)
Length: 35mm / 1.4in
Outer Diameter: 16mm / 0.6in
Weight: 34g / 1.2oz (approx.)

Nice and light and M10 shaft so no to bulky , could probably go tube or rod at that size.

Paul

Yes the idea of the car stering joint was to ensure its robust and no slop in the steering, i tried the standard universal joint as pictured above but this had way too much movement so steering would not be safe to ride in a straight line. However, Its been a fun ride but im now looking to sell this to fund the next project, whats the general feeling on how much these trikes would sell for?