Diabetes

I may come across a bit of a proselytizer and thats not what I want.
I have been type 2 diabetic for nearly 20 years to date.
I have followed all the advice from all the various doctors and diabetic educators and dieticians over those years but the problem got worse until last November the doctors insisted I went on to insulin injections.
About 6 years ago after researching the ultra low calorie diet to reset the pancreas I had a go. It was a very difficult diet to keep to but it had excellent results and I obtained 2 years free of all medications so I thought I had better try it again. I found it impossible this time round.
In the course of researching the Newcastle ULCD I came across the mention of the Keto Diet for diabetics and the excellent results they were getting.
What a game changer.
I went full Keto Jan 2017 and am still following it.
To date I have reduced all blood pressure meds, halved my diabetic meds and am only on Metformin.
My blood sugar is stable with no insulin injections required.
My doctor is very impressed but he is not allowed to suggest it to others.
It has been an easy diet to follow although I will admit to craving fresh baked bread now and again.
An added bonus is I have lost 20+ kg but that was not the impetus to go keto.
If you are type 2 diabetic and cannot get control with the standard advice I suggest you research this diet.
It is now an official dietary method as advocated by the British Diabetic association but is still hated by most dieticians.
As in all things do the research and take care.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
My T2 is just out of "normal " range , I eat normally with slightly smaller plates and currently with some triking it is "under control " , I met someone on keto and it did work for her .
my other problem is my cholesterol is also high
Keeping under 168 lbs helps me and hopefully a good summer here will help with exercise .

regards emma

The exercise also was a great help to me, 1 hour of cycling would drop my blood sugar by 2 points but I find it almost impossible to exercise these days due to all the pain in my back, knees, hips and ribs which is why I've had to stop recumberting. Mind you I never thought I would hit 70 with all I've done over the years so thats a bonus in my book. (dont play sports when your young it really bites you in the bum when your older)
With all the animal fats I love and consume mine is also out of the good range but I try to use olive and peanut oil as much as possible.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Between Ken and i we have over 132 years , My real problem has been mortons and plantar facititus in both feet , it limits my walking ability but I can sit on a trike for 25 miles but can't walk more than a mile .

The trikes have given ken and I an interest and a way for me to keep fit .

This diabetes is a real PITA

regards emma

Between Ken and i we have over 132 years , My real problem has been mortons and plantar facititus in both feet , it limits my walking ability but I can sit on a trike for 25 miles but can't walk more than a mile .

The trikes have given ken and I an interest and a way for me to keep fit .

This diabetes is a real PITA

regards emma
Hi Emma

I too suffer from plantar fasciitis, in both feet. Mine got so bad I wouldn't, couldn't, didn't want to ... get out of my chair.
I knew the moment I put pressure on those sore feet, it was going to be teeth clenching pain.

I finally had enough, sought medical help, went through 8 weeks ( three times a week) of physical therapy,
and started looking for shoes for this condition.

I'm a miser most of the time, so never wanted to pay a lot for shoes.(Wore boots for decades)
But constant pain can make one change ones mind.
You may already have done the same.

Anyway, I was told about this brand of shoes. Here's a link (below) to comfortable feet
You can read my review of my second pair. The 'Carnegie Two-Way Strap, on 12/11/18

I bought one pair, and the moment I put them on my feet, and took just a couple of steps, I was smiling like a Cheshire cat.😸
The pain was virtually gone, in an instant, and it felt like walking on a cloud. I now own three pairs.

Its been about a year since I started to wearing these shoes. As a direct result, my overall pain has diminished greatly.
So much so, that most days I don't have any pain. Now there's a concept...walking with no pain !

I still have other shoes that are not, 'orthopedic', and when I wear them, for a few hours, the pain returns.
I start wearing the orthopedics again, and the pain goes away quite quickly.

I know your pain, and if you haven't found an answer, these might be the ticket for you. (HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND)
They have a great return policy as well.

Just thinking of you...and your pain
Regards
Ed

Last edited:
Thats another thing the keto diet has done for me.
I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet so it feels like I'm walking on a raw sausage that squidges, its not painfull (yet) but it was getting worse.
However since the diet it hasnt got worse and has in fact improved a little bit. Of course this could be wishfull thinking but I dont think so.
On another note in the 70's I broke L4 and L5 in my spine and as I've aged the pain has got worse and is exacerbated by a shattered leg leaving my left leg 1.25" shorter.
Its hot up here so I only wear crocs, (and clothes of course, just in case you get the wrong idea) the other month I glued 2 soles from a pair of thongs/flip-flops to the bottom of the left one to raise the hip that side.
Thats helped no end for the back pain. I used to have an orthotic for that shoe when I was working but do not feel like paying an arm and a leg these days for some neoprene foam to do the same job.

Ye-Gods! You're a walking battleground!
I thought I was in a mess with a false hip a ruptured disc at S1 and a re-built shoulder. But I haven't got a patch on you old chap. ;)
Good to know you are getting lots of ancillary benefits from the Keto-diet. While I do understand the diet type its hard to do within a family, too many Carb-based temptations.
There's a commercial diet solution here in the UK called "Lighter-Life" and a colleague of mine went on it. In 5 months he lost the combined weight of all 3 of his children.
He stopped the diet because the acres of loose skin looked unsightly and now he's put most of it back on again. I am 4 or 5 stone overweight (215Lbs) so I am trying to address it and Gym 3 times a week is helping.
Rides (when weather permits) are another thing I need to do much more of. Why build a trike and not ride it eh?

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Currently my Morton's is causing my main problem and my spd shoes are more comfortable since l moved the plates backwards.
Any shoes seem to cause me problems after a few hours . I can't walk more than 1/2 mile but 20 miles on a trike is no problem, roll on the sunshine and summer . I will get fit again .
Later's Emma

Currently my Morton's is causing my main problem and my spd shoes are more comfortable since l moved the plates backwards.
Any shoes seem to cause me problems after a few hours . I can't walk more than 1/2 mile but 20 miles on a trike is no problem, roll on the sunshine and summer . I will get fit again . Later's Emma
Although the thread title is Diabetes can we all join in ?

I have Morton's neuroma in my right foot , painful most of the time , although with stiff soled shoes i did walk the dog about 3.5 miles today.
Very occasionally in my left foot.

Also wear crocs around the house , am considering insoles to see if they will alleviate the symptoms.

Never associated it with my cycling as clipped shoes are extremely rigid on the sole ? however I only have cleats on the Python trike the Oke-Ja has normal pedals pedals and the Fiero has plastic toe clips but no straps ?

I think I need to compile a pain/exercise diary to see if I can point the finger at cycling also being a cause ?

regards Paul

SirJoey

Super Moderator
...to see if I can point the finger at cycling also being a cause ?
Here's hoping that's NOT the case. For me, that would be a major depression!
I don't get to ride much these days, cuz the few HPVs I have left are in a storage unit,
but I take solace in the knowledge that I still CAN. (or at least it's still POSSIBLE, anyway)

Twinkle

Super Moderator
It was since being told that l am going down the diabetic path , have all these little problems raised their ugly heads , cycling keeps my blood sugar down and me a little fitter. ( diabetes has a lot to answer for ) going on the low salt / low fat / sugar and reduced carbs diets means there is very little left to eat and enjoy .

Here's hoping that's NOT the case. For me, that would be a major depression
Well last year I did 480 miles in 13 days and yes I had foot problems as the moment I rolled off the ferry I started having Achilles tendon pain ?

Why ? never had it before was wearing Shimano cleated sandals that I had worn all the previous year ??? of course they were the only cycling shoes I possed and only had some crocs with me as alternates [ every time sandals off pain went ]

So did the 480 miles in various amounts of discomfort , back home change of footwear and problem evaporated into thin air !

regards Paul

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Well, you may be onto something, Paul, but 480 MILES in 13 days is HUGE by ANYONE'S standards, at least in MY book!
The farthest I've ever ridden in my entire LIFE was 100 miles in 13 hours during a bike marathon many years ago, & that
was when I was probably in my peak physical condition, & riding regularly. Congrats, bro! You're a better man than I! (y)

SirJoey

As the others will attest it is relatively easy to do the miles in the parts of Holland we have done so far.

If you assumed we only cycled for 10 days that is only 48 miles a day [ we had scheduled some rest days ] and that is only 12 miles between breakfast and morning cake stop 12 miles to lunch 12 miles to afternoon cake stop and 12 miles to campsite. Also lunch and afternoon stops sometimes involved a mild liquid tranquilliser all was nice and unrushed.

I want to try for 120 miles in a day this year , however do not have any ambitions beyond that.

Also the Nazca is in the hope I can do some 2 wheel camping , in Holland I am hoping to catch a train to various destinations and have my camping holiday by cycling back to the ferry ?

regards Paul

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Also, we now have the advantage of riding "bents"! (Bought my first one back in 1985)

When I did my big 100 miler back in the day, it was on an "upwrong".
These days I wouldn't last 10 miles on one of those things!