Drilling out a wheel hub

Hey, any thoughts on drilling out a wheel hub, super hardened steel. Special drill bit? grinding?

Normaly, the hub itself ain't ultra hard. It's the bearing races. And there, grinding is the only decent DIY solution.
If you have acces to a spark erosion machine, that's better of course.

Yes, it is the bearings races I'm after, I just want to enlarge the hole (7/16 I think) to 1/2"
Thanks for the reply

Not that I've tried, but would a tungsten drill at slow rev and slow feed work? Would have to be dismantled in a lathe to stand a chance. If you don't have a lathe or a carbide drill forget the words of unproven wisdom.

I tried to enlarge the hole in a bearing insert, drill and grinding stones , I didn't succeed.

However it did easily reduce the stones to dust ?

Paul

Hey, any thoughts on drilling out a wheel hub, super hardened steel. Special drill bit? grinding?
I read this thread a couple of weeks ago and ran across what you would refer to as "tough" steel in a rear hub of mine. I have a metal lathe, so I thought I'd try opening up the hole- I have a carbide boring bar and even that was having a hard time cutting into the hub steel. Then I heated it all up to a dull red and re- tried it in the lathe- this time it did start to make chips, but it was dulling the carbide tip on my cutter, so I stopped. If you are only going up from 7/16 to 1/2" then a sander disk in a dremmel tool is about as easy as it gets, although if you need the hole to be concentric to the outside diameter of the hub, you still need a lathe of some sort to spin the part while grinding. - be sure to cover all the surfaces of your lathe as grinder dust is very detrimental to machinery!