Ed's 'StreetRunner' Quad Build

Continued from original thread

Progress halted on the quad for now, pending the construction of my new shop.
Build date is Feb 25-26, and then some electrical, lighting and moving/set up.
See "A New Shed, For Ed" thread

Last edited:
StreetRunner gets a new home, to grow in.

Finally have some semblance of order, in the new digs.
Now when I step back to get a better perspective, I won't be tripping and falling over ...stuff !

These photos, really help to show, the size of this project.
And why I really needed, to get a bigger place to work on it.

Re-purposing a folding lawn chair.

A lot on the burner today.

But First

Started the day thinking the answer to making the windshield and post was this old basketball backboard/hoop.

And the resulting parts gained from taking it apart. Some useful metal parts for later ?
In particular, is the slotted 'seat adjuster'?, for another project.

Took a break from that and worked on cutting out a cardboard template, ( forth try)
for the cowl portion under, the soon to be fabricated windshield frame.

Mock set up with the 1" square backboard frame
Quickly found the 1" square frame looked to 'crude'. I abandoned this idea.

Note here that I still have 'move-in' tasks that need to be completed.
But I just wanted to do, 'something', on the build.

The old lawn chair had factory corners that were near perfect in size and quality of bend.

The lawn chair width was too narrow, so I cut out a 11" piece, to weld in, making the total width 31 "

Cardboard cowl in place and the newly welded windshield frame, in place to check for proportion.
Found the height, was to much. Needed to bring it down to just above eye level when in a seated driving position.

The final height will more than likely be between 48 to 50 inches from the ground. I will leave the extra, on for now.
No rush/need to cut of the excess, at this time.

The bar was lowered in this next photo. When seated, the driver (me), will be able to see the road,
just under where the fabric top will attach.

Also notice that the tool cabinet was moved to the other end of the shop.
It was only there temporary anyway, but quickly found out that it was in the way of using the band saw.

It is so nice to be able to move around, while working on this, without having to move something out of the way first.

Last edited:
Often, ones creation comes along at a snails pace.

So it has been with this cowl design. In the previous post, you can see, that its square at the top corners.
I've not really liked that look, and an alternative has, until this afternoon, eluded me.
It was only a small, but significant modification, that brought about a better looking design, IMO.

I widened the board by two inches, and rounded 'up' the top corners. I believe it gives a much better looking profile.

The copper 'standoffs' are actually 3/4" Copper Plated Steel Split Ring Hangers, for copper tubing.

A wood 'screw/bolt' will be screwed into the top of the cowl, and the standoff will screw onto the bolt end.

I guess the next step will be to transfer the template to wood, and cut it out.

Well almost...I haven't figured out exactly how I want to attach the cowl to the frame.
It has to be aesthetically pleasing, as well as functional.

I've decided on a method to attach the cowl.
It will involve some TBD length of 1" x 2 " rectangular tubing,
a section of stainless steel, and engine turning.

Some measuring, slicing, bending, tacking, welding, grinding, & drilling.

Engine Turning ?...that really does sound odd, since this particular engine is ...hollow! ๐Ÿ™‚

There are many ways to do this.
For those that may not be familiar, with this customization technique, here is a short video.

Last edited:

SirJoey

Super Moderator
WHOA!!! You've gotta be KIDDING me!!!
This thing is ALREADY amazing!!!
Shaping up to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen!!! ๐Ÿ†’
Wonder what she's gonna tip the scales at though?

Today was our first really 'warm' day, and my working in the heat of the new shop.

Because the roof/ceiling isn't insulated..yet, it's a bit toasty inside.
Not so much that I can't work in there though.

Today, in between other sprucing up projects, I managed to get the cowl cut out and sanded.

Very cool!!

Say, if you blow a cover during a race, will that wooden firewall hold up to the intense heat of a NOS fueled fire?
Best use a fire rated door panel!

Brad
I know you have expertise in the area of 'powered bicycles'..aka, Combuster 0401 but,
I think you may have missed the concept here..

"if you blow a cover during a race",..
'If I go slow, at an enduring pace ', is closer to reality.

And NOS, really stands for, ... None Operating System.

Last edited:

graucho

Super Moderator
Sarona, Wisconsin / Apache Junction, Arizona
I can't quit looking at this baby. It's quite amazing Ed. It must be the wide tire on the back and thin on the front thats attracting me. Or maybe its trying to get into your head to figure out what your next move is going to be. o_O

I can't quit looking at this baby. It's quite amazing Ed. It must be the wide tire on the back and thin on the front that's attracting me. Or maybe its trying to get into your head to figure out what your next move is going to be. o_O
This build didn't start out in this direction by any means. It happened one day while contemplating, ' what to do next', on the StreetRunner, and the project took a major turn.
I have had a passionate desire to have a T Bucket, type hot rod, since high school.
I tried unsuccessfully, back in the mid sixties, but was to young, and broke to seriously do anything.

Had another try in the mid eighties, but again, life got in the way.

This attempt was in April 1985

Fast forward to today, and as a direct result of finding AZ, and this community, I have ventured into yet another go.
"Another go"....means thinking out of the box, with a creation unlike the typical, but staying within my limits.

I'm just lovin' the old-time hot rod look!
And that ENGINE... oh my goodness!!!
And so do I Joey

I get a kick out of people viewing the engine, and asking, what size is it ?, what's the horse power?, etc.
Then I pull the cover off, to reveal an empty space inside the block.
And the final detailing, to further enhance the 'real' look, hasn't even begun.

The confused look, o_O...is near priceless.

Maybe when this is all done....(there's a concept)....I should rename it to... 'FAUX T'.

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
A small 40 watt amp running a digital loop of rumbling engine sounds would be over the top!
You could place a sub facing down, and a few mid ranges right at the pipes to make it convincing.
I bet from across the street, it will look real enough to bring the fuzz down on you!

if you know any electronics nerds, a 10 second looping sample on an Arduino connected to your "gas pedal" to alter the playback frequency, and now you bring life to your engine. Extending that further, a simple RPM pickup (like a bike speedometer) on a wheel also changing the engine sound RPM would be insane. Some might actually think the engine was real.

Such a cool build so far.
Brad

A small 40 watt amp running a digital loop of rumbling engine sounds would be over the top!
You could place a sub facing down, and a few mid ranges right at the pipes to make it convincing.
I bet from across the street, it will look real enough to bring the fuzz down on you!

if you know any electronics nerds, a 10 second looping sample on an Arduino connected to your "gas pedal" to alter the playback frequency, and now you bring life to your engine. Extending that further, a simple RPM pickup (like a bike speedometer) on a wheel also changing the engine sound RPM would be insane. Some might actually think the engine was real.

Such a cool build so far.
Brad
How fun it is....will be :D

The MP4 audio is waiting in the wings. for the day it is allowed to roar !

I tried to load it to Youtube, but it's not being allowed to upload for some reason.
It's a 1 hr loop, of big engine throttling up and idling. I like the idea of connecting it to the 'foot pedal'.

I will try again to get it loaded so you can hear it. It's quite mean sounding.
My intention is to have it roaring while driving in our local parades, and maybe some car show 'showing off'.

Windshield frame half secured

I reverted to the K.I.S.S method and came up with this method of attaching the bottom half of the frame.
Its future is still in doubt, as I may come up with something else.

The notch is for the space needed for the nut wedged inside the channel.

The aluminum channel is secured to the wood cowl by screws.

And, yet another little detail, yet to be completed.
I will be making a set of wings, that will be fastened, where the clamp comes together.
Not sure about the stand off at this time.

Found it! Brad

The ROAR ! ..from the belly of the beast.....

.........Watch your volume level ..............

My copy is 1 hour long. I had to shorten it, to get it on YouTube.
I was thinking of putting the speakers inside the engine block. Maybe the whole system if it's small enough.
Otherwise, there should be room under the seats, or just behind them, for the amp etc.

I can't wait to see the expressions, when people aren't sure what their seeing/hearing.

Last edited:
Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
A small 40 watt amp running a digital loop of rumbling engine ,,,
I used a similar idea with steam train sounds as I rode on a local rail trail. Kids were really interested when I came up behind them. It was an MP3 collection of various recordings, running continuously on a SONY Walkman and I switch the amplifier On and Off as required.

On my current build, I intend to have various MP3 files that will be Arduino-selectable for a number of warning horn sounds to be used as most appropriate at the time. Aren't electronics wonderful? You can do what you want.

I used a similar idea with steam train sounds as I rode on a local rail trail. Kids were really interested when I came up behind them. It was an MP3 collection of various recordings, running continuously on a SONY Walkman and I switch the amplifier On and Off as required.

On my current build, I intend to have various MP3 files that will be Arduino-selectable for a number of warning horn sounds to be used as most appropriate at the time. Aren't electronics wonderful? You can do what you want.
Hi Kevin

I was thinking about getting one of them old 'boom' boxes, but they were mostly to large. I purchased a two mic PA system for my RV group, maybe I could use it.
In any case, I guess I will have to get familiar with this Arduino thing.

One thing I think needs to be aware of, is the speakers ability to handle the sounds at a high volume.

Just for fun, I just played the sound affects, while looking at the engine in post #5. It is going to be soooo awesome.
Especially after I get the spark plugs and wires hooked up.

Last edited:
Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
There are many simple amplifiers available from China. Too much power requires too much to power it. You have to pedal what you carry. Turning it off, when not required, saves power. You can go the Arduino route as Brad suggested or start simple with an Arduino reading MP3 files from a memory card for, say, idle, mid speed, high speed, etc. You could also use it for a variety of horns.

There is a wealth of How-to information on the Internet with examples, etc., that you can modify at will. Plenty of references.

As I said elsewhere, jump in and learn how to swim. This Forum could be a help as well.