Ed's 'StreetRunner' Quad Build

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Ed

What are your legal requirements relating to Mobility Scooters? Would it comply, even with adjustment to where/how you use it? Would probably need to be a commercial manufacture. Mobility scooters in Australia are allowed 10kmh, must be ridden on footpaths and must cross roads at pedestrian crossings. Heck, eBikes are only allowed 6kmh under their own steam, cannot be ridden on footpaths unless you are under 12yo, must be ridden in bike lanes, cannot be ridden cross roads on pedestrian crossings, must be pedalled to get assist which must cut out at 25kmh, and must be no more than 250W.

Mobility scooters are pretty powerful and come with batteries, charger, electrics, etc. A discarded one driving larger wheels might be an easy option.

Radiator ..Step 2

I reversed the radiator shell, and made a new front grill and surround.
The surround is cut out from the 'hood'(bonnet) of the old PVC pedal car.

I added some new aluminum mesh screen, also left over from the old PVC pedal car.

The front(now the back), will house the connections for the top/bottom water hoses.
I'm looking among-st all my 'stuff', trying to find the just right flexible hose.
I have a length of old shop vacuum hose which is almost perfect, but I'm looking still.
My son works for a hydraulic hose company, so I might hit him up for some braided hose...remnants.

With so many of my photos being somewhat the same, I thought I would try to give you a different perspective.

I finally have a six pack. No not there, I still have my spare tire there.

My manifolds six pack. The last can has been consumed.
It is now, duly hardened, and now sits in its rightful place atop the manifold.

Last edited:
Ed

What are your legal requirements relating to Mobility Scooters? Would it comply, even with adjustment to where/how you use it? Would probably need to be a commercial manufacture. Mobility scooters in Australia are allowed 10kmh, must be ridden on footpaths and must cross roads at pedestrian crossings. Heck, eBikes are only allowed 6kmh under their own steam, cannot be ridden on footpaths unless you are under 12yo, must be ridden in bike lanes, cannot be ridden cross roads on pedestrian crossings, must be pedalled to get assist which must cut out at 25kmh, and must be no more than 250W.

Mobility scooters are pretty powerful and come with batteries, charger, electrics, etc. A discarded one driving larger wheels might be an easy option.
I'm afraid this project is well past the 'scooter' stage. If I get to register it fine. If not, that's OK too..
There are thousands of hobby cars, real and other wise, that are never meant for the road.
It will be drive-able, but is mainly for the satisfaction of creating it, and maybe some shows or parades.

Last edited:

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Lookin' very cool!

How about being a rebel and going stealth on the drive system?
Make sure you can actually pedal the car, but have the electric motor hidden.

This was the main point of my E-Style BMX, since I built it when our location did not recognize any kind of motorized bike.
When I whizzed by "the man", I just made sure I was pedaling as well.
If you keep it to a reasonable fast jogging pace, it will look "normal".

I would say that with no suspension, anything past that speed would rattle your hotrod (or bones) apart anyhow.

Brad

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Gotta hand it to ya, Ed. This thing is so far over the
top,
I'm absolutely SPEECHLESS! Simply AMAZING!

This is a ...'MY T CUL'... project. (my license plate)
Saying it fast.. 'Mighty Cool'

Anyway, the radiator needed some sort of bracket to hold it.

This is what I've come up with.
Candy Red radiator shell, with contrasting gold metallic flames?

Cutting out from the same metal used for the Inferno seat.

I wonder how many drill holes this will take ?

And 'How to make a radiator water hose, from a vacuum cleaner hose, and PVC fittings'.

Last edited:
I'm all fired up...
The 'left' side bracket is cut out, and the right side is drilled.

Lacking a proper tool for cutting the extraneous pieces off, I resort to this.
I could use a new set of files, as well.

First bracket near complete. Only some more fine detailing left.

I'm thinking about using rosette/spot welds, to attach them to the radiator shell,
thus no exposed bolt/screw heads, except where it will be attached to the frame.
Also thinking about painting them, the same color as the shell, creating a subtle phantom/ghost image.

Flames attached.

More fill-in welds needed.
This angle shows the angle of the frame.

Waiting for final mounting screws to the frame, until the final position is determined.

Water pump in progress

The parts

Viewing it upside down
Main body cut and glued last night.
The bottom inlet port installed this morning..now drying

Showing the retaining parts on the inside of the block

At present I'm going with the chain drive look. Have V belt pulley's but need to find just the right size v belt.
There's not much room for any adjustment.

Last edited:
Hot Day....Cool Pump

The temperature hovered right at 100 F, (in the shade) today, with the shop at 104.
Quit working around 1 pm.

Waited until 8 pm, to go back at it.
A bearable 90 degrees, with fans blowing in cool night air.
Got the 'drive housing' cut and the sprocket J B Weld-ed, on this morning.

This evening I drilled the hole in the front of the block to mount the bottom 'drive'.
Spliced together a short bit of chain, and put it all together.
Both pieces are held in place using bicycle hub parts, and axles.

The upper sprocket is a coaster brake.
The lower, is one chain ring from a freewheel, that's welded (actual weld), to one half of a hub.
These may be changed out, at a later date for something else.

All is OK, except the bottom housing (drive), needs to be squared up, just a bit more.
The drive housing is bolted to the flexible perforated sheet metal, and that is a little flimsy, in that area.

Not much room left over between radiator and chain drive.

Next step is to grind/sand down the two pieces, and paint them silver to match the manifold.

Last edited:
I didn't look for a while and wow, you did a lot and it looks great.
All those details on it, it's just crazy. I love it.
You are putting a lot of time in it. Drilling all those holes to get that flames.
I let my parts laser cut but you do it all your self.

I didn't look for a while and wow, you did a lot and it looks great.
All those details on it, it's just crazy. I love it.
You are putting a lot of time in it. Drilling all those holes to get that flames.
I let my parts laser cut but you do it all your self.
Thanks Emiel

I've always been a detail oriented guy, so I naturally navigate in that direction.
The more details, the more people will enjoy the viewing journey.
The engine will be a special point of interest, therefore, more detail, without trying to be 'exact' on every detail.

I had an art teacher, tell me that its not always what you put into an art piece,
but what you leave out, that can add interest to the piece. Leaving it to the viewers imagination.

I came real close to buying a 'plasma cutter'. I will have one, one day, but for now I will DIY it.
With a drill press, it is more time consuming, and boring, than any actual work.

Today's early morning work

Nothing special, just another piece of panel, on the back of the radiator, which will hold the outlet water hose connection.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Ed, this thing could be featured in Hot Rod Magazine! (y)
Seriously, when it's finished, I'd give 'em a shot!
You never know...

Ed, this thing could be featured in Hot Rod Magazine! (y)
Seriously, when it's finished, I'd give 'em a shot!
You never know...

Nice of you to say that, but I believe, that kind of workmanship isn't there....YET!
Being finished is a very long way off. Much, much more finish work/detailing' yet to be done.

I will be happy if I get to show it locally, and get some positive feedback from some of the local hot rodders.

I came real close to buying a 'plasma cutter'. I will have one, one day, but for now I will DIY it.
With a drill press, it is more time consuming, and boring, than any actual work.
I wanted several machines when I started working and I never bought them. That was my biggest mistake.
It's great as you can do a lot your self and have the tools to help you.

What you are making needs details.

96 F on patio..107 F in the shop

Started working on this at...

An hour and a half later, and 5 pounds lighter ...I do believe.

After a bit of filler, primer and patience.

Should be a nice contrast ... the silver up against the candy red block

Now to start on the lower drive unit. There will be a bit of a twist to this one,
but you will have to wait until it's finished.