Ed's 'StreetRunner' Quad Build

Here's a thought.

I entered these numbers into the calculator below..

500 rpm (shaft speed)
11 tooth (motor)
16 tooth (axle)
24 inch (tire height)

https://electricscooterparts.com/motorwheelgearratio.html

Not sure about the chain size. #420 (1/2")

Based on the spec's in .... 'Read Full Description'.
Assuming I inputted the correct numbers, I got 24.7 mph. which would be near the max of 25 mph allowed for a NEV. (No jack shaft needed)

Last edited:
oNE NEEDS TO REMEMBER eD LIVES IN California where the government is run by Daffy Duck and friends so to be legal on a public road, Eds art creation must be powered by solor so the state can charge a tax on amount of solar absorbed by said art project.
Sure glad I got out of Calif. when I did.
I must admit, that I am not sure what animated cartoon characters, are in the government where you live.

As for being taxed, for absorbing the warmth of the sunshine ☀here, ...well all I can say is,
that it surely comes in second to the tax, on all the 'free water',🌧 that comes your way, in the form of rain drops.
where, and I quote..."It rains almost every day here in Washington but it isn't as COLD as Idaho"...
This may not be a monetary tax, but such inclement weather can be taxing on ones mental well being.
Which by the way, a quick check, shows rain in many parts of Washington, as we banter. :D

At least you don't have to wear sunglasses... 😎
Stay dry Idaho 🌧

Last edited:
About all I can add is that a 48V 1000W motor can propel itself plus a std mountain bike plus me (260LB) at 30MPH on the flat with a lithium battery in good shape. Any hill would eat into that considerably.
No throttle in that link so add one into the price.

About all I can add is that a 48V 1000W motor can propel itself plus a std mountain bike plus me (260LB) at 30MPH on the flat with a lithium battery in good shape. Any hill would eat into that considerably.
No throttle in that link so add one into the price.
Thanks for your input.
Virtually all of my anticipated driving would be on generally flat-ish roads. There are some short mini hills of maybe 3-5 percent grade

Ed: I'd be interested in what they say to see what they do in your neck of the woods. All sorts of things are happening over here, killing some events because they are made unmanageable, due to rules that become more than casual events can cope with.
Just heard back from the parade organizer. I explained what I was building, and he expressed an eagerness to see what I am doing.
As far as any requirements, there are none. So it's full steam ahead.

The body is getting awkward to move around, so it was time to get out my trusty hand cart.
This cart has been with me for decades. It has been loaded with at least 400 pounds at one time, and it's still going strong.

Lots of grinding today. So I strapped the hand cart on and...well the pictures show the rest.
Much easier to move around. Been in and out of the shop 3 or 4 times today.

Measure twice...cut once right? ............So what's wrong with this picture?

They never say anything about being smarter than the thing you are cutting.
Installed backwards/upside down. o_O

Ok got it...Whew !

All done for today. Last panel cut and welded in place. Most of the remaining corners/welds and side seams,
have been ground down, touch up welds done, ground down again.

There's my glasses !

The center opening is 17" x 10". Haven't decided on which way to make the door/panel.
At present I'm leaning toward an inset, with rounded inner corners.
The "panel' door, would be held in place with four acorn nut bolts.

Last edited:
Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Hmm. I had a look at the Californy NEV rules in Ed's link. Quite restrictive and many things that I see to make a DIY almost unworkable.

Our electric bike (includes trikes) rules regarding motor size make reference to the manufacturer's plate. I can't recall where mine is or whether it is even visible. It certainly won't be visible on the side of the road if the need arises and, "No, Officer, I have no idea how to check any settings, due to advancing years, my memory deserts me at times. Who did you you say you work for again?" I would say that the onus would still be on me and sometime I would have to prove it one way ot t'other.

Getting a replacement plate made up because you probably couldn't buy one is a good idea. Printing mistakes are often made and often pass through the checking stage regardless of how hard you look. Might pass casual inspection but the consequences of detected fraud would probably cost the first offence of non-compliance with the fraud offence added to it.

Incidentally, I met a local officer in a local barber's shop a month or six back. I recognised him as one of those that you see from time to time on local television variety of Cops shows showing cops out on their job of motor vehicle law enforcement and the sometimes idiots with whom they have to deal. I had had it in the back of my mind (a law-abiding mind I might add), that if I ever ran into him in an official capacity, I would have some fun and query him about being the actor that I have seen on television. Anyway, I wouldn't be the first. He told me that someone he had pulled over frequently made mention of him being and actor and the whole thing wasn't real. His parting response to the poor miscreant was, "Here are a couple of tickets, etc., etc. Follow the instructions re payment or court and you will see how real they are."

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Just heard back from the parade organizer. I explained what I was building, and he expressed an eagerness to see what I am doing.
As far as any requirements, there are none. So it's full steam ahead.
Great news. Not only do you now have a clear conscience and the freedom that goes with it, you have an introduction to the event, what appears to be a welcome for your participation in it, and an externally applied completion date so that you can participate. Who knows what other doors may have opened or will open?

Why aren't you out completing it instead of reading this?

Great news. Not only do you now have a clear conscience and the freedom that goes with it, you have an introduction to the event, what appears to be a welcome for your participation in it, and an externally applied completion date so that you can participate. Who knows what other doors may have opened or will open?

Why aren't you out completing it instead of reading this?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Obviously you didn't read my post of 10 minutes or so ago. The one where I said "All done for today".

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Is it, will it, be possible to make the body hing away from the frame or is the body part of the frame and must remain in place when finished? Could be handy for future modifications?

I have just spent many hours over the last week doing things that you cannot see due to having to make a frame behind and over the seat height that, because of its impact on other things and how they in turn impact on it, cannot be seen other than in my mind because they don't exist yet. Some modifications have had to be made to what I have done so far, and what I was intending to do. I guess you have had to do the same thing.

In short, I guess it is called "Suck it and see." That has given me and idea for a quote at the bottom of my posts, a variation on another one I saw on AZ somewhere.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Obviously you didn't read my post of 10 minutes or so ago. The one where I said "All done for today".
It wasn't there when I was typing my comment. I guess your response means you haven't set up the night shift yet.

Is it, will it, be possible to make the body hing away from the frame or is the body part of the frame and must remain in place when finished? Could be handy for future modifications?
From the start of this build, as you can tell from today's pictures, I designed the body so that it would be detachable.
A number of reasons for this.
Two in particular. (1) to facilitate removal for repairs/etc. (2) I am planning future bodies that will use this same chassis.

At present there are 4 bolts, holding the main part of the body, and 2 machine screws holding the front of the top bows,
solid to the windshield top cross bar. There may be additional hold down points coming in the future.

Last edited:

SirJoey

Super Moderator
What I wanna know is, when this thing is finally finished, what are you gonna do for an "encore"? :unsure:
Wait, I know... build a "REAL" one! :D

Last edited:
What I wanna know is, when this thing is finally finished, what are you gonna do for an "encore"? :unsure:
Wait, I know... build a "REAL" one! :D
Finished ? Now there's a concept.
I'm taking my cue from all the auto makers of the world.
That is, I will make slight changes to the current model, and offer it as a 'All New' model each year.

GO ...or... NO GO
That's my question

In an effort to increase my knowledge, of the workings of the electric motors and controllers,
that are used in our type applications, I have this question.

Is the power when applied, 'variable' or 'full power', each time the throttle is moved?

I'm imagining a very jerky uncomfortable ride, if it's full on power, each time the throttle is moved.

Back at it !

The last panel, 'the back' has been cut and welded in.
Taking a lunch break, then it's back to welding in, the remaining corners/seams.

I took advantage of the sunshine, to get in some outside shots.

Not 'exactly' like the drawing, but close.
The drawing was never to any set scale, whereas the 'real thing' (Sir Joey)
is scaled to real people size. No really, it's all for real....trust me :devilish:

And here we have my better half, assisting with a perspective shot, and practicing her parade waving technique.

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
GO ...or... NO GO
That's my question

Is the power when applied, 'variable' or 'full power', each time the throttle is moved?

I'm imagining a very jerky uncomfortable ride, if it's full on power, each time the throttle is moved.
It depends on what you are using.

I have experienced riding two e-Assist machines.

1. The first was a very popular Bafang BBS01 mid-drive conversion on a two-wheeler without fitting the throttle. The level of assist between none and maximum can be customised to 1-3, 1-5, or 1-9 levels with 2, 3, and 5 being middle of the range in each case. As it is correctly termed a Pedelec, without the throttle, there is no assist unless pedalling - except for a push-button walking assist mode. Assist can be customised to cut out at anything between about 13 kmh and 39kmh to keep it legal. A later throttle fitting and fitting to my Warrior, showed 17kmh with the throttle although I can't confirm the customising settings.

When riding, there was no jerkiness experience with any level of assist. The assist does not start until the pedals have rotated about 1/4 turn. Yes, you can feel it when it kicks in but it seems to be softly applied, probably to prevent severe jerkiness. The manual makes mention of torque sensors in the pedalling system that must modulate the power applied relative to how hard you are pedalling. The assist also continues for a second (or two?) after pedalling stops. There is a switched brake lever option but I have not got that fitted to the trike. It is a little unusual to be pedalling, even counter intuitive, while braking. As the assist stops when you stop pedalling, there is some redundancy is switched braking. A local bike shop told me that they don't always fit them. I didn't fit them as the final resting place for the assist will be on eLecTricks or maybe there be a new purchase for that role.

2. The second experience was with a cheap e-assist bicycle that my wife purchased. This is not as sophisticated as the Bafang. The whole bike cost less than the Bafang conversion and drive is applied via a rear hub motor but that is not the only difference. I hate the way the assist is applied. Yes, it has a number of selectable levels but the application of the assist is nowhere near as smooth. In fact smooth is probably not mentioned anywhere in any of the paperwork. If it is, it shouldn't be. Whatever the level, it seems to be either on or off (jerky) and consequently seems to be either accelerating when it cuts in or decelerating when it cuts out. It is horrid and so is the hub wine.

So, there you have a comparison of e-assist. It all depends on what you are using. Of course, if you are just making up an electric drive, it could be a totally different ballgame - depending on the electric control. For example, many electric motors designed to assist us in various machines do't have a need for "soft start". The are either off or on. Check out what you might be getting, first.

It depends on what you are using.

I have experienced riding two e-Assist machines.

1. The first was a very popular Bafang BBS01 mid-drive conversion on a two-wheeler without fitting the throttle. The level of assist between none and maximum can be customised to 1-3, 1-5, or 1-9 levels with 2, 3, and 5 being middle of the range in each case. As it is correctly termed a Pedelec, without the throttle, there is no assist unless pedalling - except for a push-button walking assist mode. Assist can be customised to cut out at anything between about 13 kmh and 39kmh to keep it legal. A later throttle fitting and fitting to my Warrior, showed 17kmh with the throttle although I can't confirm the customising settings.

When riding, there was no jerkiness experience with any level of assist. The assist does not start until the pedals have rotated about 1/4 turn. Yes, you can feel it when it kicks in but it seems to be softly applied, probably to prevent severe jerkiness. The manual makes mention of torque sensors in the pedalling system that must modulate the power applied relative to how hard you are pedalling. The assist also continues for a second (or two?) after pedalling stops. There is a switched brake lever option but I have not got that fitted to the trike. It is a little unusual to be pedalling, even counter intuitive, while braking. As the assist stops when you stop pedalling, there is some redundancy is switched braking. A local bike shop told me that they don't always fit them. I didn't fit them as the final resting place for the assist will be on eLecTricks or maybe there be a new purchase for that role.

2. The second experience was with a cheap e-assist bicycle that my wife purchased. This is not as sophisticated as the Bafang. The whole bike cost less than the Bafang conversion and drive is applied via a rear hub motor but that is not the only difference. I hate the way the assist is applied. Yes, it has a number of selectable levels but the application of the assist is nowhere near as smooth. In fact smooth is probably not mentioned anywhere in any of the paperwork. If it is, it shouldn't be. Whatever the level, it seems to be either on or off (jerky) and consequently seems to be either accelerating when it cuts in or decelerating when it cuts out. It is horrid and so is the hub wine.

So, there you have a comparison of e-assist. It all depends on what you are using. Of course, if you are just making up an electric drive, it could be a totally different ballgame - depending on the electric control. For example, many electric motors designed to assist us in various machines do't have a need for "soft start". The are either off or on. Check out what you might be getting, first.
Thanks Kevin

Seems I have more to learn before putting out the $$$.

Lovely picture. Is your better half practicing that parade wave? Who knows, she may be able to fill a vacancy in the Royal family.
She 'IS' royal in this family.