Hand cranking and tilting Emiel & Popshot I thought of U ?

Wow this is complicated :-

Tilting velomobile

May have some useful ideas in it ? thought

Paul

Wow! Just about as complex as it could get. Extremely impressive to keep that below 50kg too. I would think the cranking and tilting and steering is simply asking too much of a two armed rider especially whilst also leg pedalling too. I'd think the effort would be exhausting and soon uncomfortable with no part of the body in any at rest pose. A lot of moving parts there and quite a number of control cables so relatively high maintenance. I note at the end the author suggests quite a bit of simplification such as removal of all the leg and arm drive train and use of hub motors and a pedalled generator (undoubtedly a legal issue or at least a grey area in many countries).

A massively impressive proof of concept prototype. The designer / builder has aimed high and largely hit the mark but like the author appears to allude to it would seem to overload the rider with too many tasks to do. I suspect that once beyond the shortest of rides actually enjoying the experience would prove elusive.

An excellent find Paul.

I have seen similar constructions but then simpler than this one.
Very interesting to see what he did.
For a bike it is way to much, but as a project it is fun to make.

IMHO arms and feet power are to much in one machine ?

Your calves can take all the oxygen you can process [ biggest muscles in body ] so arms if used are only taking that away from the calves.

The excuse if your legs get tired is false , if your legs are that tired it is time for a break with a overload of caffeine and sugar about 20 minutes usually does it , then fresh for the next 50 miles 👍

I had toyed with the idea of a delta with slightly [ free ] castoring rear wheels a bit like a spin cycle but with 20" wheels all around ?

maybe restrict them to a 20' arc either side of straight ahead ?

Why ?

Well it would stop inaccuracies in the rear frame creating toe in or toe out at the back ?
Should allow a tighter turning circle ? important in an urban environment.

However what little trike time I have could be better spent making rear suspension or a better front end me thinks.

Paul

Arm power is in my opinion only useful as you can't use your legs.

Drymer made a better tilting trike/vello than this design.
They have it with and without a cover.

Not that complex and it rides more like an upright bike. It isn't something I want, but I find that design better then an arm and leg powered velomobile.