I need a power weeder

Every year this weeding thing comes around and I've been able to keep up with it.
But I think it's finally getting through to me that I'm not meant/able to keep doing it.
There's just to much strain on parts below the equator. Parts that have been repaired twice already.
If only I had a power hoe. Another DIY project looming.
Something like these but powered with maybe a battery. https://www.google.com/search?q=garden+bicycle+hoe&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CbiGJh9U8YHSIjhqsXIV8Fg5YN8mFTelYMyO3Y6uHm4a4GZkA7-l6sgSGQsuXzFE37Yb6A_1mSPQquP3IOZQ78Ld_1ZCoSCWqxchXwWDlgEVWUwoLtTSpTKhIJ3yYVN6VgzI4Ry-zqU12mupYqEgndjq4ebhrgZhFc5rh_1IYXmJCoSCWQDv6XqyBIZEb9S2VsmQ-DwKhIJCy5fMUTfthsRfeQBxjL1jg8qEgnoD-ZI9Cq4_1RFTk2biXTxruCoSCcg5lDvwt39kESwDDIxH88mR&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjhhIPy7ozhAhUZGDQIHaDnC6gQ9C96BAgBEBs&biw=1344&bih=726&dpr=1.25 but motorized.

Just a sample of what I have to deal with.
No rain ... no problem. But add some moisture to this desert ground and up pops the weeds.
If only they were pretty. Desert flora would be OK, but these are not desert flora.
Some come up roots and all, but mostly it's dig, rake, pile, pick up, dump, cart to the road on trash day.
No, I don't have any need to be mulching, so I'm not going there.

I have one of these:-

Runs on paraffin and really throws some heat out. Very thirsty though.

For areas where I'm not wanting anything to grow I dissolve as much salt in hot water as it'll take, add a splash of detergent and then water the area with it liberally. It's much better than most weedkillers you can get over here today though I did find some old paraquat in my Mothers shed a couple of years ago - now that was a weedkiller!

I have one of these:-

Runs on paraffin and really throws some heat out. Very thirsty though.

For areas where I'm not wanting anything to grow I dissolve as much salt in hot water as it'll take, add a splash of detergent and then water the area with it liberally. It's much better than most weedkillers you can get over here today though I did find some old paraquat in my Mothers shed a couple of years ago - now that was a weedkiller!
I tried the salt trick but didn't have any luck. I used it in our rock area, which is the hardest place to keep weeds at bay.
I may have not used it correctly. I used rock salt and spread it all through the rocks and then watered it in.

I'm thinking of having the whole front yard sprayed by a commercial company.
Hate to spend the money, but the place looks so bad with everything being overgrown with weeds.
I have 1.33 acres of weeds to manage. If only there was a market for them. Hmmmm......haven't tried smoking them :unsure:
Now that it's illegally legal, (or is it legally illegal?), there might be a market now. I'm not one of them, but haven't people been smoking weed since the beginning of time?

Last edited:
I think the trick is to get it as concentrated as possible so the water isn't washing the salt away. I bring my hot water to the boil as I dissolve the salt.

I will be doing a large flame weeded project maybe this summer.
Perhaps there will be some use for it in the city!

Brad
Brad/Popshot
I've never used a flame thrower for killing 'weeds'. Does it kill them down to their knees (roots), or do they just grow back later?

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Any growing things around here that are not wanted, either get chopped down or have a close encounter with either a ride-on mower or a smaller mower. Only the grass in the back yard, I wouldn't call it a lawn, needs it any more than twice a year. Outside that area, maybe once every couple of years. I can handle that - for the moment.