Lathe Newbies 4-Jaw Chuck setup.

Yesterday I made myself a smaller lathe-chuck key out of 8mm round bar.
It should make dialling the 4-jaw in a lot easier when doing 2 jaws at once as per Double-boost's clip.
I have found that dialling in a 4-jaw chuck (unless it is your day job) to be a hit & miss/long-winded affair.
I saw this clip from a bloke called DoubleBoost and it is so much easier now.

Dan

Very impressive , is this applicable to truing wheels ? finding the run out halving it etc etc ?

Paul

Dan

Very impressive , is this applicable to truing wheels ? finding the run out halving it etc etc ?

Paul
I don't think so, but I have never tried, because I use a single-sided angle-iron stand and the "middle" is just a fictional construct. :) But I get by OK.

I don't think so, but I have never tried, because I use a single-sided angle-iron stand and the "middle" is just a fictional construct. :)
Ah however that is not true ?
But I get by OK.
That method only works IF the wheel is to be mounted single sided ?
It does not work if the wheel needs to be centralised in between frame drop outs ?

Paul

So I made this little holder to mount a dial gauge on. It fits in a standard tool-holder adjusted for centre-height.
It is just 3 small pieces of 12mm square tube welded together with a tapped hole for an M5 bolt to hold the gauge in place.

It works just fine! :D

And here it is in a little video showing how accurate you can get it. TBH the "noise" is the corrosion on the stock. :)

Last edited:
That method only works IF the wheel is to be mounted single sided ?
It does not work if the wheel needs to be centralised in between frame drop outs ?
Mostly/partially correct. If your rim has no offsets and your hub is symmetrical then by and large spokes of the same length tightened to the same extent will produce a wheel that is largely centred in the drop-outs I think.
Loosening/tightening sides can produce a level of dishing.