LWB full suspension

Well, it's mostly finished, just a couple small details. Plus of course once spring arrives a few local shakedown rides to identify and fix any bugs. Specs include full suspension, albeit from a cheaper donor bike, 26" wheels, and a Bafang BBS02 motor.

Hi Hugh,

Did you ever get this up and running? How'd it handle, now that spring is here?

I'm starting research on a similar lwb fat bike, and this picture is definitely an inspiration. A lot of the winter trails here are too narrow once the snow mounts up, so I am looking to transition to a 2-wheeler of some sort for the winter (without going to an upright bike).

Hope your projects have been going well!

I did get it up and running. It definitely has a learning curve required to ride it which honestly I have not mastered yet. This due to factors partially beyond my control, just basic family things, home maintenance, etc, the things we all go through. I have learned a couple things though. The side stand used was from an old road bike that needed to be extended and it's way to flimsy so a stronger unit is being considered and will be built soon. If possible it will be relocated closer to the middle of the bike so it can be deployed when I need to dismount. While the under seat steering is very nice on a trike, on a 2 wheeler it's a bit problematic since you need to lift a leg over the frame to dismount which makes it hard to keep the bike balanced. 2 things about that, there is a Canadian made 2 wheeler called the electrom which uses a front mounted center stand the rider deploys anywhere ie a red light or a stop along the way. It can be reached by simply taking your foot off the pedals, pushing the stand down and rolling a bit backwards. In the videos the rider simply rides away and the stand folds up. Not useful for a bike used on any type of trails.

I was in contact with a LWB recumbent rider on the bent rider online site. He rides on singletrack trails with friends who have dedicated mountain diamond frame bikes and is able to do quite well. One takeaway from him was not to use underseat steering. He tried it and found he kept getting his knuckles hit while cornering in the woods. The longer type of handlebar normally used on a LWB would also provide leverage which would be very useful when getting on or off the bike. I may have to try that next.

The rear shock needed it's adjuster tightened up a lot to stop it from pogoing. Handlebars - mine has underseat steering, nice for comfort while riding in the city but not ideal for any technical stuff. Thats about it for now.