Matched mechanical callipers

There's 3mm of body adjustment on the red ones. I don't have a bb7 at the moment to compare.
Ok that is enough to set them good.

The only thing I want yo know is the braking power. As tgat is hoos, than I will order them and make a 3d model. Probably also get the black, because it is easier to make that the dist is ad the right pisition.
With theodel, I now where to make the mounting for each size disk.

I hope that they have a hood braking power.

You may want to try these too. The measurements suggest they are the correct fit for the red ones.

And - or these for the black ones.

Though as ever regular organic / resin pads almost always provide more initial bite and better feel. The harder pads are better under extreme braking only usually.

To compare brake effectiveness I was thinking of using a pair of basic forks to mount a disc hub with disc (the disc hub must be made turnable via the axle nut) and weld a bit of handlebar about a foot away from the disc for a brake lever. Make the caliper mounts for these and BB7 and then using a C-clamp to apply the brake (no outer cable) and a spoke tension gauge measure the tension on the brake cable to enure it's the same for all three callipers. A torque wrench can be used to measure the rotor moving point.

It's a basic test of initial bite only with the brake warming up or fade not measured but at least doable.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
I found a couple of problem with a pair like that ?

Impossible to get replacement pads for them.

They do not use standard bicycle mountings

So when you wear out the pads you are stuffed
When you decided the performance is sadly lacking you can't bolt on a set of Avids you are stuffed
Graham Clarke a Basingstoke seller on ebay had plenty of replacement pads for those calipers , l got a load of them . Main problem is the chrome rusts quickly. They do fit standard mtb mounts , we have used them for years .

Emma is correct - they do fit a std IS mount. I wonder how I was labouring under the wrong impression? Presumably the non-standard shape of the mount threw me. :unsure:

The last pic looks like it doesn't match but it does. It's just the camera angle.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Word of warning can l suggest replacing the screws with stainless and spraying the complete caliper in clear lacquer as the quality of bolts and paint is not good.

I got today 2 sets of those red ones from Madox.
So when I got home, I looked ad them and I must say, that they are better than I expected. But that isn't all, it only got better when I looked ad them to see Joe they work. The nice thing is, you can adjust both brakes pads, just like the bb7.
There is a hole in one of the bolds and that has inside a litle bold that you can adjust.
I didn't expect that.

There is one thing that they could improve, and that is the adjustment for as you mount it. But not a big problem as you build your own bike.

I hope that I can compare it with the bb7 soon.
One thing what I can see, is that the braking power will be less than the bb7. The arm is a bit shorter, so you need more force to reach the same braking power. But with testing I will see if there is a big difference and if it is a problem that can be solved on an other way if needed.

Last edited:
A short arm won't help (arms that are too long will feel spongy) but braking force also depends on lever selection, the rate of inward travel of the pad for each degree of the arm, the pad material and the area of the pads. There's a lot of factors that have to work together. I've got some ceramic pads for these from ebay though it'll be some time before these are in use on a trike as they're destined for the next tilter which will come after I can sort the canopy on the Drypod2.

Last edited:
Yes with the lever you can solve it, but as you swap only the brake, you will notice a difference. But it isn't a big problem. I have levers for a quad, so they are a bit bigger then bike levers. That compensates it also. But I will try both to see what I like more. Want yo see what it does with e-assist.

I try to weld the brake mounts to the frame tomorrow. Wednesday I hope to have that all finished.

Thanks for the link. I will look ad that.

Would there be any reason the red ones couldn't be used with 180mm or 203mm discs as long as you account for the mounting difference?
I don't think it would be a problem. They fit the 160 fine, so I think that they will also fit bigger.

Thanks for checking.
I placed one on my trike that I am building to see how it looks and if they would fit and adjust.
They git good, easy to adjust and it went even better then with my bb7.
As the bb7 fits on a 180mm disk, these will also fit.

Ordered a pair of the black ones based up this thread. Going to retrofit to my Street Fox if all goes well. Hope they work with 160 rotors.

Got mine today, still waiting for disks.
Anyone successfully fitted them yet ?

Shoog

Fitted my disks today. Used JB Weld and bolts on the right side ones and just JB Weld on the left. Went very well and neat job.
Going to start on the caliper brackets tomorrow.

Shoog