My life with Python trikes Mk1 , Mk1.5 , Mk2 ?

It looks good.
So you couldn't rude without both hands loose.
I think it is just a practice thing , I could easily remove 1 hand and do stuff , I think I just tried to early sometimes I just though I was on a Python other times it was mildly scary !

How was the road, flat or under a small angle?
As it is under an angle and lower ad the fight, than you would turn left as you try to stay in balance. That is the disadvantage of a trike vs a 2 wheeler.
It is amazing how few roads/pavements and footpaths are level , If I held the bars it was amazing the angles the lower part moved through whilst the top just sailed along serenely.

I never go do far on my first test ride. I start in the street and make it a bit bigger, till I trust it. Then I go further.
Got bored with the street !
I used to start with small rides and work up to todays ride in easy steps , however Covid restrictions have stopped most of my riding so it was DO or DIE !

Now I ride to every whi want, even with the trike still in test phase and not finished.
Yes I am unsure [ apart from further riding ] what will happen to the trike next , it certainly isn't finished

Those crossings are for predestianse out here. Whe have them also and it is mainly on bissy streets with lots off traffic and 4 lanes.
In the UK we have to ride with the pedestrians (n) Some of the junctions I traversed today were 8 lanes wide with successive railinged chicanes each making it more difficult to get in the right position for the next one ?

Paul

OK so it is a balance thing. It is harder than i expected.

I noticed that the roads aren't flat, when I started to ride my trike.
Bice pads that are separate from the roads are level, but the cycle lanes are often rounded.

I am now building one battery. I use tgat one, to make 2 mounts. Behind the seat on each side will come one.
Then I can ad the bag racks and the luggage carrier on top of that. Also fenders and the front a bit shorter. After that a powder coat and it is ready.

OK here they kick you off the predestion. You can get a ticket for it.
Also, you don't want to ride on it because the cycle lanes are much better to ride on.

I don't understand your love of all things inherently unstable but I admire your persistence with them.
Look at the bigger picture ?

With a 24" track it will pass through almost all barriers , instead of passing through only a few barriers.
With a 20" seat height - better vision - out of the wet and dirt - bike and rider fair better.

How well would a trike ride/corner with 24" track and 20" seat height ?

.. and of course there is an almost Zen like quality riding along steering with your feet .....

Paul

Last edited:
.. and of course there is an almost Zen like quality riding along steering with your feet .....
....and the feeling that the feet position is merely practice for the traction when in hospital later. ;)

How well would a trike ride/corner with 24" track and 20" seat height ?
Those dimensions do pose design issues but you don't yet have them in that prototype yet it is unstable at it's current dimensions. You may learn it's instability and work around it and you may design some instability out. My point is that you choose to start with a known unstable design instead of a known stable one and I do not understand that choice whilst admiring the tenacity you show to make it work.
Danny's meets those sizes and is a design known to be no more unstable than a two wheeled recumbent. Any instability is largely a matter of learning to balance laid down. It can even be made to stand upright at rest with a transverse mounted disc at the point of tilt. Unlike using the brakes to keep upright a transverse disc wouldn't impede pedalling to set off.

Those dimensions do pose design issues but you don't yet have them in that prototype yet it is unstable at it's current dimensions. You may learn it's instability and work around it and you may design some instability out. My point is that you choose to start with a known unstable design instead of a known stable one and I do not understand that choice whilst admiring the tenacity you show to make it work.
Hmmm well I am not sure what you mean by unstable ?
The Flevo bike/trike had a poor reputation because unlike the Python there was no stability from it's geometry to hold the front end up when the rider sat on it. So you had to use your legs to raise the whole of the front end to ride it , and keep it up to ride it safely.

Mine does not have that problem and so is not a Flevo.

I think there is a perception of tilting where the trike behaves as a stable trike until you want it to corner then it behaves like a 2 wheeler by tilting and then resumes it's trike like motion.
Obviously that is wrong and so unless using weight to make the tilt stable [ ie the pivot above the C of G ] all tilting trikes are to some degree unstable all the time ! [ possibly unstable is the wrong word here ? ] maybe more accurate to say all tilting trike's want to tilt ALL the time ?

Danny's meets those sizes and is a design known to be no more unstable than a two wheeled recumbent. Any instability is largely a matter of learning to balance laid down. It can even be made to stand upright at rest with a transverse mounted disc at the point of tilt. Unlike using the brakes to keep upright a transverse disc wouldn't impede pedalling to set off.
All most everything I have read about people building tilter's like Danny's mention a tilt lock , I assume because the people all come from the world of non-tilting trikes and feel they need a lock , why can't they just put there feet down ?
Either they can't make one work properly , can't ride off safely from locked to unlocked or can't deploy the lock in time to stop a fall over. universally the racers abandon tilt lock as unnecessary.

My trike is sat upright without a tilt lock engaged or brakes on ? when I sit on it and raise the front it stays upright [ Python stability ] and in fact I can get both my feet on the pedals and sit in a ' track stand ' mode without moving off OR failing over.
I think the problem with Danny's design is because the wheels tilt they cause the whole trike [ & it's weight to tilt ] on a Flevo a good 1/3 of the trike does not tilt and so provides a stable platform for the tilting elements to rest on ?

If you imagine on mine the un-tilting part is the road and the tilting part is me riding a 2 wheel connected by elastomers instead of tyres on top of the un-tilting part ? leaning to far could through me out of the seat however the trike wants to remain upright and so is inherently stable in that respect , Dan's just wants to lay flat and woe be tide you if you try and stop it.

Please continue with your though's and input , most welcome and the insight's are useful to try and understand what is happening and why it happens.

The prototype is evolving to become the 26" track and 20" seat height trike and may or may not work , we shall see.

Paul

ps having done 12 miles I am more inclined to try your idea of dual purpose handle bars , especially as the steering damper is working well with only 3.5cm of travel both for and aft and the limited steering lock [ compared to pedals touching the floor ] makes it a far easier trike to handle.