My life with Python trikes Mk1 , Mk1.5 , Mk2 ?

Of course if I carried a quick link the fix could have been much quicker
I seem to recall you giving me a ticking-off about my use of quick-links and telling me they were to be avoided. ;)

I seem to recall you giving me a ticking-off about my use of quick-links and telling me they were to be avoided. ;)
There is a slight difference between 1 fitted in an emergency and IIRC the 3 you had fitted to one chain ?

Paul

There is a slight difference between 1 fitted in an emergency and IIRC the 3 you had fitted to one chain ?

Paul
Not really true, there were 2 and one-half chains (i.e. 3 chains) on that tadpole so 3 quick-links required. Honest Guv'nor.
Yes, I could have popped the rivets and joined the chains without quick-links.....but as you have so eloquently observed above......they can then work their way out again; so best to always have a quick-link handy. :D
I rest my case M'lud. ;)

Dan

Wrong answer ! when joined 2 and 1/2 chains = 1 chain which equals 1 quick link ?

So after another dirty wet ride Friday it was time to step up and do something about it....

So this is the Mk1 rear mudguard frame:-
designed on the fly and made from available materials
yes it is made of cheap white soft wood
yes the mudguards are held on with reusable cable ties
yes it's a bit flimsy

that's deliberate ,as predicted by some one here I may hit an obstruction whilst out riding [ although it is much harder on this trike as the rear wheels are now as wide as my elbows a built in gauge ! ]
So the whole thing is floppy in the hope it will displace and even if the wood breaks which is easily replaced the mudguards that cost money should be saved :giggle:

It was designed to fit around the current pannier and utilise existing holes in the frame.

The time was also taken to add a platform at the back , hopefully after the front mudguard is added I will be able to reveal it's purpose ?

Paul

Tilt#2 = 72 miles - retired - dangerous
Tilt#3 = 272 miles - [semi] retired - proved tilting seat concept
Tilt#4 = 135 miles - retired - will be born again Tilt#6 ?
Tilt#5 = 82 miles - [semi] retired - still usable [ at present ] should Tilt#6 need work
Tilt#6 = 125 miles
Total = 687 tilting miles so far..

Ok today's ride was very interesting and also contained mild peril.

On the way back I met an old gentleman who enquired about my trike after answering his questions I asked him if he wanted to ride it...
Well you could have blown me down with a feather when he said yes !
So never ridden a recumbent
Never ridden a trike
Never ridden a tilter before
Set it up for him on a footpath around a local lake.
His first ride was very hesitant and he had difficulty turning around doing a 4 part shuffle.
When he got back I suggested he went further as the path broadened out and would be easier to turn around , so off he set again disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a smile on his face , no problems encountered !

Very positive.

So after I left I had a very tight [ <8ft ] 90' turn to do travelling to fast as the traffic lights turned against me.
The rear wheels locked up as I slowed down and the whole trike stepped sideways maybe 6" STREWTH !
No drama it stayed upright and steered because I had not locked up the front wheel , very satisfying .

Paul

Last edited:
Tilt#5 = 82 miles - [semi] retired - still usable [ at present ] should Tilt#6 need work
Tilt#6 = 125 miles
Total = 687 tilting miles so far..

Ok today's ride was very interesting and also contained mild peril.

On the way back I met an old gentleman who enquired about my trike after answering his questions I asked him if he wanted to ride it...
Well you could have blown me down with a feather when he said yes !
So never ridden a recumbent
Never ridden a trike
Never ridden a tilter before
Set it up for him on a footpath around a local lake.
His first ride was very hesitant and he had difficulty turning around doing a 4 part shuffle.
When he got back I suggested he went further as the path broadened out and would be easier to turn around , so off he set again disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a smile on his face , no problems encountered !

Very positive.

So after I left I had a very tight [ <8ft ] 90' turn to do travelling to fast as the traffic lights turned against me.
The rear wheels locked up as I slowed down and the whole trike stepped sideways maybe 6" STREWTH !
No drama it stayed up right and steered because I had not locked up the front wheel , very satisfying .

Paul
Don't you mean that you met "Another old gentleman, such as yourself"? ..... ;) I'll get my coat.

Glad you remain unscathed. :)

Today's progress Yes !

However first did the mudguards work you ask ?

Not wet per say , however plenty of rain in the night

The mudguards did not fall off and stopped the visible crud from plastering my jacket arms Hooray 👍:)

Plenty of trike's I see on the web seems to have a plastic box strapped to the back , I though well it might be easier than struggling with panniers ?

Box was all of £8.00 for 65 litres ! so very flimsy and not going to be very water tight , we can live with that if it gives me some space ?
I built a simple wooden platform bolted to trike rear axle , separate from the mudguard mount and bolted the box to it through the corners.

These are the 2 panniers I was to build a rack for , as you can see it swallows them with room to spare !

I need to give it some removable partitions/boxes to stop stuff rattling and moving about , probably start with some cardboard boxes and lumps of bubble wrap.

If this works in practice I am sure I could buy a box that is stronger and water tight , maybe even lockable ?

all for now Paul

Today's progress Yes !

However first did the mudguards work you ask ?

Not wet per say , however plenty of rain in the night

The mudguards did not fall off and stopped the visible crud from plastering my jacket arms Hooray 👍:)

Plenty of trike's I see on the web seems to have a plastic box strapped to the back , I though well it might be easier than struggling with panniers ?

Box was all of £8.00 for 65 litres ! so very flimsy and not going to be very water tight , we can live with that if it gives me some space ?
I built a simple wooden platform bolted to trike rear axle , separate from the mudguard mount and bolted the box to it through the corners.

These are the 2 panniers I was to build a rack for , as you can see it swallows them with room to spare !

I need to give it some removable partitions/boxes to stop stuff rattling and moving about , probably start with some cardboard boxes and lumps of bubble wrap.

If this works in practice I am sure I could buy a box that is stronger and water tight , maybe even lockable ?

all for now Paul
That is probably a Standard Crate in its sizing. It is very likely that something of that size can be obtained in a sturdier form. Or, build your own box from plywood with reinforcing.

Tilt#6 = 137 miles
Total = 699 tilting miles so far..

So two updates in one post - economy !

Wednesdays ride did not start well I received a email sent Tuesday night telling me my coffee and cake stop had tested positive for Covid bummer !
Luckily I had not gone Monday as usual so had not seen him since Friday morning.
However that left the problem of mothers the ride's destination ? I resolved to turn up drop her stuff off and turn around and come home , so no inside warmth tea etc [ although I did blag the biscuits (y):D ]
It was bitterly cold and I left the house @ 7:30 and did not return till 9:45 I was perished , feeling toes was a distant memory still I got the miles in.
I did 2 tests Wednesday morning and Thursday morning both negative so that's a relief , my friend continues to get worse and as he is on immnosuppressed it is a worry.

Tilt#6 = 149 miles
Total = 711 tilting miles so far..

Friday more miles still bitterly cold however more clothing was worn and I was able to stop inside at mothers for a warm up and cup of tea , that helped.
Back box has developed an annoying squeak as has chain and full length front mudguard is awaiting fitting however NOT in this :D

Paul

Tilt#6 = 173 miles
Total = 745 tilting miles so far..

Ok 3 updates in one !

Been ill for a week not eating and lost about 2.5kg , and looking at my shape it was all muscle and NOT fat :(.
So first ride was last Wednesday only did the short 10 miles , all went without a hitch , however I was very slow taking 50 minutes for a 30 minute ride !

Friday did the short ride again however seemed to have a bit more vigour so went easier.

Today I did the longer ride in just under an hour , that is about par for the course , so things are looking up.

Nothing untoward happened and tilting happened as and when required , so very pleased

That's 34 miles in total to add to the tally :D

Tilt#6 still 100 miles short of Tilt#3's milage , still we press on !

Paul

Tilt#6 = 173 miles
Total = 745 tilting miles so far..

Ok 3 updates in one !

Been ill for a week not eating and lost about 2.5kg , and looking at my shape it was all muscle and NOT fat :(.
So first ride was last Wednesday only did the short 10 miles , all went without a hitch , however I was very slow taking 50 minutes for a 30 minute ride !

Friday did the short ride again however seemed to have a bit more vigour so went easier.

Today I did the longer ride in just under an hour , that is about par for the course , so things are looking up.

Nothing untoward happened and tilting happened as and when required , so very pleased

That's 34 miles in total to add to the tally :D

Tilt#6 still 100 miles short of Tilt#3's milage , still we press on !

Paul
Good to hear that you are mostly recovered and that Tilt#6 is performing. :)
I think I have made up for your weight-loss by adding to my adipose tissue since last week. :(

Good to hear that you are mostly recovered and that Tilt#6 is performing. :)
Thanks , performing as well as the rider at least ...

I think I have made up for your weight-loss by adding to my adipose tissue since last week. :(
Gone up a bra size again !

Paul

Last edited:
Tilt#3 = 272 miles - retired - proved tilting seat concept became Tilt#5
Tilt#4 = 135 miles - retired - became Tilt#6
Tilt#6 = 197 miles
Total = 769 tilting miles so far..

Ok 2 updates in one !

Ok Monday and Fridays rides when without a hitch about 24 miles in total.
Weather very odd sometimes very cold and sometimes very wet , been on the hunt for some better socks , so 1 pair with Merino wool bough and a pair of Sealskin for when it's wet.
The wool ones performed well Friday so ordered another couple of pairs.

One ride had some traction issues , nothing show stopping just needed some ' seesawing ' of the front wheel up one steep slope and some wet grass needed a bit of ' wheel chairing ' of the rear wheels , both slopes were very short but steep oddly it is not something I get very often and certainly no need to bail out and drag it.

I started riding Tilter's on March 11th 2021 , be interesting to see how many miles I have done in a year on them.

Paul

So build some cardboard full size wheel arches as a start on designing a rear fairing/box ?

In this view they are to long the surplus being below the hub centre line , as can be seen clearly here the seat intrudes into the wheel arch volume.
This means the rear of the box will be further to the rear than the front vertical faces of the wheel arches ?

About 20" between the arches inner walls and room for a 5" well to the rear of the axle increases the space considerably ?

Need some more card board now to fix them at 20" and then start looking at the outside shape ?

Something like this ?

Paul

You could gain room behind the seat by getting rid of the current rear stay and welding in something more permanent closer to the seat which would also allow you to shorten the bottom bit aft of the elastomers.

You could gain room behind the seat by getting rid of the current rear stay and welding in something more permanent closer to the seat which would also allow you to shorten the bottom bit aft of the elastomers.
+1
The rear seat mount could be bade a lot less intrusive into the loadspace. (y) :)

Yes you are both right , it's a matter of ' how much ' would I gain for the work involved.
Also all aspects of the trike could be tidied up , made lighter and more suited to purpose ? as it is a hacked bodge that has been hacked again and again.

However it was never my plan to make the box like this [ red outline ] as it will be impossible to get to the ' Ouch ' corner and make a joint when building it and you can bet your bottom dollar something will roll into the corner and be irretrievable ?
The plan was to have a vertical piece at A [ in black ] between 5" and 10" before the slope starts.
Still food for thought thanks.

Paul

Hi both

I have measured it and can get 7" forward from the axle before the seat and still get my 5" vertical end piece in , so although there is another 3" available before I reach the end of the wheel.
It is a lot of work to gain storage of 5" x 3" x 20" = 300" cu at the small end :((n) [ 5 ltr ]

Easier to make the back 1" longer and get 1" x 30" x 21" = 600" cu ! at the wide end :)👍 [ 10 ltr ]

so I think I will pass.

Paul

Tilt#6 = 209 miles
Total = 781 tilting miles so far

Another run to mothers , was hoping to get 1000 tilting miles this year however I only have till March 17th to achieve that , seems unlikely :(

Exciting ride today quite frosty in parts till I crossed a piece of road that usually floods in heavy rain , 90' left turn onto it and 90' left turn to approach next railings when the front wheel stepped out of line about 1ft ! hmm never dawned on me if the road surface looked glossy it maybe iced over DOH.
No drama trike stayed upright and I stayed on the trike , if I had been on the 2 wheeler I would have been down for sure so accident averted.
Three wheels rule !

Paul

Tilt#6 = 233 miles
Total = 805 tilting miles so far

Ok Wednesday more of the same and Fridays was let's say interesting ?

Friday was VERY cold @ -2c and below in parts [ Ok cold for the UK ] near the limit of my clothing and 10 - 15 mph wind chill on top , however a really great sunny day as it rose in a cloudless sky [ I did leave @ 7:30am ]

I rolled onto my mothers drive and thinking of the tea and chocolate biscuits instead of the job in hand wound the gears from 7th to 1st in preparation for leaving , chain over shot 1st and wedged lightly between the sprocket and the spokes then promptly fell off the front ring onto the BB ???

So never done that in 200+ miles !

Borrowed some vinyl gloves and eased it back on both ends , looked to be undamaged.

Set off home to find I only had gears 1 to 5 , when I tried for 6 and 7 the lever moved freely however nearly 1" of cable stuck up out of the lever ?
Luckily home was a series of uphills so I had the gears to get home except on the flats I could barely make 7mph.

In my mind I was linking the 2 incidents and could not figure out a event that could have caused both of them ?

Anyway after walking the dog I decided the lack of gears could only be caused by the cable snagging in the housing so set off to get it out expecting it to have signs of rust as the bar end points upwards to act like a rain funnel....

Well no it was slightly dirty but looked fine , so I inserted 3" and lightly oiled the rest , a couple of pulls up and down the outer and reconnected it worked fine.

Can only assume in the low temperatures and added wind chill it had jammed in some way , although going in either direction in the 5 gears I had seemed fine ?

Oh well home safely Paul

Last edited: