My life with Python trikes Mk1 , Mk1.5 , Mk2 ?

If you think that will happen please give me some warning so I can vacate the area ;)
I promise that you will be the first to hear of my miraculous recovery ;)

Honestly guys, moving my head around elicits the sort of noises I hear transmitted inside my head that I can only equate to stirring a a bucket of sharp sand and jelly with a stick.
It is most off-putting, it doesn't feel nice either. :(

I think several of us are a lot closer to the knackers yard than is comfortable, myself definitely included. It's no fun isn't this aging lark. Still at least the jelly and sand will drown out the voices in the head urging you to kill everyone or is that just my tinnitus drowning out my own voices? The wisdom you gain with old age is a poor replacement for lost youth.

Hey don't knock it , I know the voices aren't real .....
... however they sometimes have some great ideas.

Paul

Playing with gearing ......
Not your subject ? this will be a very boring post.

Old trike 28 - 38 - [ 48 not needed ] with a 7 speed 14-28 giving

19 to 51 gear inches and 10 combinations

So found a 26 - 42 - [52 not needed ] with a 7 speed 14-28 giving

17 - 56 gear inches and 11 combinations

So better than old trike at both ends and much better than current trikes previous gearing.

New cranks are also 155mm instead of 170mm , not sure what that will bring to the party only way to find out is to ride it to mothers on Monday.
Ok so 2 rides on it and .....the theory is not support by reality DOH

The 26T I am only using 4 ,5 , 6 & 7 and on the 42T I am only using 1 , 2, 3, 4.
The 26T is not to bad as the used cogs put's the chain near the frame and the front cranks have a good offset putting the chain also near the frame.
The 42T is struggling with the chain fouling the front mech [ oddly not every time ] and the chain being at acute angles when using 1 & 2 cogs.
Lots of changing on the front ring needed , this is a real PITA as before for the last 350+ miles I have only had a single ring and no front changer.
Can't saw I noticed the shorter cranks , however I don't have knee issues at the moment so maybe that is why ?
I think my sweet spot is a 28T & 38T however I need to find some front crank/rings with the biggest offset possible to reduce chain line issues.

Back in the shed me thinks

Paul

Ok so 2 rides on it and .....the theory is not support by reality DOH

The 26T I am only using 4 ,5 , 6 & 7 and on the 42T I am only using 1 , 2, 3, 4.
The 26T is not to bad as the used cogs put's the chain near the frame and the front cranks have a good offset putting the chain also near the frame.
The 42T is struggling with the chain fouling the front mech [ oddly not every time ] and the chain being at acute angles when using 1 & 2 cogs.
Lots of changing on the front ring needed , this is a real PITA as before for the last 350+ miles I have only had a single ring and no front changer.
Can't saw I noticed the shorter cranks , however I don't have knee issues at the moment so maybe that is why ?
I think my sweet spot is a 28T & 38T however I need to find some front crank/rings with the biggest offset possible to reduce chain line issues.

Back in the shed me thinks

Paul
Saw this on crank length, hope its useful. Strangely, the 2 chain ring sizes he mentions are 39T and 53T Paul :D

Last edited:
Hi all

So I have reverted to a 28T & 38T back to my comfort zone , in the 38T can manage all but 3 of the hills around here I top out & about 12mph so comfortable above my projected cruise speed of between 8mph and 10mph. I have probably a couple of gears in reserve at the low end and image more likely to run out of traction before gears - life is good !

So this is rear rack painted and ready for installing , objectives ?
a) mount red box - will be simply bolted to rack
b) mount extra pannier rail [ bit rising up nearest camera ] - bolted again if needed
c) mount trailer hitch - again bolted to front face of bumper
d)stop some idiot crashing into my trike and smashing the red box ?

The whole rack and all addon's will bolt to trike with 2 x M10 nuts , thus allowing it to be removed to get trike into car in smallest space possible.

As can be seen the rack adds 5" to the length of the trike.

need to sort box mountings out next .....

Paul

OK wood parts , I like wood [ oh and it annoys DannyC ]

This piece will have 4 counter sunk M6 bolts holding it to the metal frame , there will be a similar shaped piece in 3mm plywood inside the box and 3/4" wood screws will go through from the inside screwing all 3 bit's together.

This will spread the screwing force over a large area on the rather fragile box I have.

Top right you can see the flag mount screwed to the rear , next up hole for trailer hitch.

Paul

OK wood parts , I like wood [ oh and it annoys DannyC ]

This piece will have 4 counter sunk M6 bolts holding it to the metal frame , there will be a similar shaped piece in 3mm plywood inside the box and 3/4" wood screws will go through from the inside screwing all 3 bit's together.

This will spread the screwing force over a large area on the rather fragile box I have.

Top right you can see the flag mount screwed to the rear , next up hole for trailer hitch.

Paul
Nahhhh, love wood I do, it burns so well and keeps your hands nice and warm round the camp-fire while touring.
Besides, the Mosquito Fighter-bomber was the "wooden-wonder", and the Hurricane was also mostly wood and far more sturdy than that tarty metal spitfire.

Nahhhh, love wood I do, it burns so well and keeps your hands nice and warm round the camp-fire while touring.
Besides, the Mosquito Fighter-bomber was the "wooden-wonder", and the Hurricane was also mostly wood and far more sturdy than that tarty metal spitfire.
However Danny ' only steel ' Clarke you were mortified when I told you there was wood used in the build of the first Python ?

Paul

I believe wood is highly valued in the adult film industry.
Perfect for my 70's bronze paint job , moustache and flairs then :giggle:

Paul

Ok

Box now mounted nice and secure....

so working on an exterior pannier rack for this overflow pannier
It will stop me having to rummage through the stuff in the big box for the day to day stuff , clothing , maps , pump , inner tubes etc etc
bolt on frame so left off when not needed , however frame fouls box so it needs a couple of extension to bring it rearwards to the flag mount,

Frame needs something across here for lower pannier clip to mount on stopping the pannier swaying on the upper mounts.

Getting closer.

Paul

So Zombies in the field ?

or

2 go wild in Cambridgeshire ?

Cost of hiring this pod ? = cost of 2 tent pitches , pod wins hands down especially during Wednesday nights thunderstorm:LOL:

Bikes parked on the Busway park and ride between St Ives and Cambridge , lot's of eating places on it or near it however first stretch from St Ives is barren for the first 8 miles :(

Someone tried my Python never rode a recumbent , trike or tilter think the grin show's it was fun and NOT hard to ride ?

When you realise you made the wrong choice at the tea stop Thursday morning ?
You have a tiny scone with a smidgen of jam , whilst your riding partner though Bread and Butter pudding with custard and ice cream hit the spot better ?

Paul

Yes.... The glamping pod was so much better than being under canvas. :)
Only downside was being trapped with a snoring farter. ;) (Poor Paul).
Despite evidence to the contrary... I was trying to watch my waistline ;)

All was very good fun. :D

Yes.... The glamping pod was so much better than being under canvas. :)
Only downside was being trapped with a snoring farter. ;) (Poor Paul).
It was noticeably louder than being in a tent pitched as far away as possible without looking anti-social :D
looking on the bright side the voice recordings I made could be worth a bob or two ?
Despite evidence to the contrary... I was trying to watch my waistline ;)
That rule seemed not to be applied the evening before when you had sticky toffee pudding ?
All was very good fun. :D
Shortened my life by a few months , but if you enjoyed it .....

Paul

So what's what ?

Long over due spring maintenance has been taking place a better behaved front mech and rear mech have been fitted.
new chain fitted , old one outer links counted as 50 when 50 counted on new chain I could see the old chain was 1/2 link longer !
in it's defense it was old when I fitted it and 2 different makes joined together IIRC
brake cables shortened by 12" , much tidier

Making a custom pannier rack as bike one's won't fit and current one only holds 1 pannier and I want 2 [ or more ]

These were the first 2 welds a bit messy because they were 1/2" tacks then after checking were welded over , some porosity and messy stop/starts evident.

Welds 3 getting into my stride and ain't weld 4 a beauty :giggle:
hard to believe how much I struggled when I first started to do fillet welds

So as I have a narrow trike maybe I need a narrow trailer [ else I will have 5 wheel tracks to contend with ]

Out with the Lego I say [ one wheel removed to allow easier pictures ], this is o/a 24" wide [ to match the trike ] and only 20" long [ excluding tow bar]

and it is this shape because ......

It is specifically designed to take 4 Ortlieb panniers , hold them 5" from the floor & easy to get into them as they are roll top with the fastenings on the sides.

Paul