My life with Python trikes Mk1 , Mk1.5 , Mk2 ?

That trike isn't going to win slimmer of the year with 1/4" plate.
The tubing is a little oversize for the front anyway and the 1/4" plate is quite small maybe 2 of 2" x 2" so nothing to fret over.

This really is just an experiment to look at better ways to build the front end , compared to the Mk1 and better ways to mount rod end bearings for the pivot.

Paul

Well made plenty of progress however the image host was down for maintenance so was unable to post anything.

the rear frame is spaced above the floor 5" [ it's running height ] and the pivot is now welded to the front part and we are whole (y)

The pivot needs a minimal amount of clean up with a hand file some bits were left over long to discourage burn back at the edges and a couple of the welds are untidy , there will be no filing down to hide them just take any high spots or sharp bit's off.

Contrary to what I have just said , you can see I ground the upper pivot plate down to a fine finish , I needed it to sit on some plate to mark the cut for the 2 x 6mm pieces

As you can see all looks neat and minimalist , especially compared to the Mk1 front in the image below.

Of course the Mk1 is ready to run so has wires/cables/changes/brakes etc etc etc

Angling the end beam was a change of plan and I would have liked the rearward facing side frame pieces to be about 6mm longer than they currently are however should get away with this I think ?

So lots to do , bars up next and a front mech post , I may not mount a mech however on the Mk1 it is indispensable for attaching things and moving the whole trike about. :whistle:

Just to add some pressure to the soft southern wuss who is also building a delta :-

Added some hub brake mounts to the rear of the previously unbraked Mk1 rear end.

As this is a test mule the rear end was adapted to be bolt on , then I can use the same front/spine to try out different rear ends ?
Suspension / iLean & tilting etc

The mount consisted of some capped offcuts of 1.25" tubing I drilled them out for 12mm then enlarged one hole in each part to 14mm so I could add a anti crush tube just tacked in 4 places on the face it passes through.

Not sure which way around it will end up ? trailing wheels/leading wheels [ only about 3" :D ]

The wheelbase is about the same 46" as the Mk2.

Lots more to do , however progress is progress and the to do list is reducing slightly .......

Looking good from a Southern-Wuss perspective for sure. ;)

What is the pastime? Trying out different rear ends?
Well ....

Currently yes !

Do I need suspension ?
Is leaning the answer to higher seats ?
Is iLean really leaning and a form of suspension in one package ?

Can I live with any of them ?

You could either pontificate till the cows come home ...

Or build a test mule and then comment from experience ?

SJ

Thanks

Did you not borrow a Delorian and fetch some bicycle related item into our future from the past ?

Most of my group riding involves being last, or it did when group riding was allowed. I have got used to seeing virtually nothing other than rear ends.
It is not always bad being at the back ?

Although sometimes it can get a bit dirty ?

So little brother gets dragged screaming and kicking into the light ?

Not ridable yet however we have a new 20" 7 speed wheel and a set of 170mm cranks with 2 rings [ will do for now ] relieved to find even with straight cranks I have enough clearance ..

have sat on it and can pedal although the seat is further forward than the other trike , I think the pivot takes up a bit more space.

the front frame near BB only looks long [ I think ] because there is no mech post yet.

This may be a solution to the handle bars , with a bit of cutting and shutting ?

..and don't do this at home kids ...

what happens when there is no lock stops :ROFLMAO: try and out turn this you tadpole pilots :D

Super stuff Paul, looks almost ready to rock & roll.

what happens when there is no lock stops :ROFLMAO: try and out turn this you tadpole pilots :D
If the rider turned with that level of turn they would have to re-locate their hip joint when they straighten up again. :ROFLMAO:
Looks really sharp Paul, I bet you can't wait to give it a spin.

Thanks both.

You know the drill the last 10% takes 90% of the time ;)😁

So I decided to join the SSW and have chain interference problems.

This is in the lowest sprocket on the cassette and the middle ring at the front.

So is this bad ?

Well originally this was intended for a IGH and they all have large drive sprockets so that may fix it.
The IGH wheel is not currently trued of tensioned , something I should attend to.

Also as can be seen the front rings are offset away from the BB , so maybe some with 0 offset may get me a bit more clearance.

So plenty to do.

However a more pressing problem is the fact that I have never trimmed the 2 front plates that the BB is set in , this now stops the wheel going in as the axle cannot clear the derailleur , they just need trimming.

However I have ridden it !!!

Don't do this at home children.

So brakes are optional [ a pair of riggers gloves will stand in for them ]
No handle bars
No gear changes
No mirrors etc etc etc

Seems stable and turns well , although I need to add some bracing to the bolt on rear end , judging by the tyre noises I thing the tracking is out.
Hey I have created a delta trike with tadpole problems 😭

all for now :D

Everything is fixable, angry-pixies, hot metal and a grinder.
The cassette width is probably the issue as you didn't build it for that but for your IGH wheel.
You might get the same derailleur issues I have had with the IGH. But your frame is simpler and may be less finicky.