My life with Python trikes Mk1 , Mk1.5 , Mk2 ?

Hi all

So Holland approaches and Mk2 trike unready [ again ] so after a bit of brain storming I came to these conclusions ?
...waffle...waffle...waffle... excuses etc.

ps yes Dan cleaned some of that nice new paint off ;):LOL:;)
Good to see that at least the gussets will get put in place ....:ROFLMAO:
Sorry to hear that the ongoing Drum-Brake niggles might prevent their full implementation for this trip and you would be front-brakes only... :(
I had hoped that you would have got the PPP in and tested with a new front-end for your trip, but I know how these things go and other stuff gets in the way to take up all the time. :eek:

Only 12-Weeks for me till I go to Holland on the new trike, and I am nowhere near ready.

Good to see that at least the gussets will get put in place ....:ROFLMAO:
Really ? non of those bits are gussets ???

Sorry to hear that the ongoing Drum-Brake niggles might prevent their full implementation for this trip and you would be front-brakes only... :(
I suppose the time so far I have wasted trying to fix the drum brake issues could have seen the new front end built ?
Depressing really.

I had hoped that you would have got the PPP in and tested with a new front-end for your trip, but I know how these things go and other stuff gets in the way to take up all the time. :eek:
You me both !!!

Only 12-Weeks for me till I go to Holland on the new trike, and I am nowhere near ready.
if all goes to plan at my end at least half my trike has been to Holland 3 times :p

Its also going the lower the tracktive force on the front wheel isnt it ?
I do like how its progressing, far better than mine, at present its a frame and a kit of parts and less time than you to be ready
regards
John

Its also going the lower the tracktive force on the front wheel isnt it ?
Not an attack on you ! however everyone says that ....
I doubt it will make much difference ?
a) all the weight is within 10" of the rear wheel axles - so almost no leverage compared to the pedals @ 50" + me @ 25" from the axle.
b) camping gear about 15kg I am in at around 70 kg and the trike fully loaded @ 24kg most of this weight is in front of the rear axle ?
c) the trailer was also supposed to have done that ? however I never noticed much difference to be honest ?

I do like how its progressing, far better than mine, at present its a frame and a kit of parts and less time than you to be ready
regards John
Thanks , although I have no excuse as I am retired and you work ? still we both have a working trike to fall back on if necessary , your companion is not in such a favourable position ?

regards Paul

I was thinking on the uphill sections, weight tranfer of the COG thats all,and of course I dont have experience of pythons other than my Flyke.

its true I have another machine to fall back on but one cant turn up running the same old machine year after year LOL
John

Well butt ugly has been made !

So this is mode 1 empty carrying space

There is a bit missing in-front of the dead axle to locate tent , needs a bit of rod bending around the lamp post :-0

Mode 2 need to carry some stuff - that bag is 50cm x 50cm x 50cm about 125 litres I think

Mode 3 bumbling around @ home 2 x panniers

Mode 4 minimal camping 2 x 20 litre panniers 2 x 15 litre panniers and 1 x tent ?

Mode 5 full camping above + 1 extra pannier ?

So as versatile as it is ugly , sadly it evolved rather than being planned [ much ] so it is obvious some of the tubing is in the wrong place and the wheels could do with being further back so nearer end of trike than as implemented ?

Any how I am sure someone on here will come up with some improvements .....

Me I am off to molest the lamp post in my cul-de-sac ;)

Paul,
I think the expression "Handsome is, as handsome does" applies here.
Butt-ugly or not, it achieves your purpose, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Are the panniers actually full or empty in the mock-ups above, your rock holding it down doesn't seem to be breaking into a sweat at all ;)

Paul,
I think the expression "Handsome is, as handsome does" applies here.
Butt-ugly or not, it achieves your purpose, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
l'm sure there must be a better/neater way of achieving the same result ?

Are the panniers actually full or empty in the mock-ups above, your rock holding it down doesn't seem to be breaking into a sweat at all ;)
Bulked out with pillows etc more after the size rather than weight , need to be careful as the sleeping bag makes one of the red ones circular rather than oblong ?

I expected some smart ar-e to mention the 'rock' however he never spotted the dogs ar-e so 1 : 1 in my book :devilish:

regards Paul

I have to say Paul I like it very much, is that a pet rock? I have one on the boat for company, great listener and eats nothing
John

Hi all

Sure it will look better balanced with a lick of paint and the Mk1 front end bolted on ?

All the welds need either finishing or a bit of hand cleaning up , no power tools !!!

The rock is ' borrowed ' from the front garden hedgehog feeding station , it's return was supervised.

regards Paul

Been doing a bit ?

Added some gussets - not required in my view however I know DannyC won't be happy riding near it if it does not have any :LOL:

Then more useful ?

Reflectors mounted :-

..and 2 x flag mounts , well I will have a spare flag if not towing the trailer ;):devilish:

I shan't do anything about the rear lights till I have the frame painted and wheels and seat attached , I want it as high as possible and probably make it bolt on rather than welded ?

regards Paul

Oh dear, that wasn't where I thought you needed gussets. I though you needed them to stop your vertical side members folding inwards under the load of the whole touring kit + Paul.
Like this below.

Oh dear, that wasn't where I thought you needed gussets. I though you needed them to stop your vertical side members folding inwards under the load of the whole touring kit + Paul.
Crikey , you just can't please some folks .........

I am considering this [ probably from same tubing as rear blue/gray platform due to preformed curves etc ] to provide a limit for how far forward the tent or other luggage may go and stop it dropping off the sides onto the floor ?

Another reason for the pooh poohed braces 😜

Ahhh... ok, half the story in the earlier pic then :ROFLMAO:
Both will work (of course). So put both in. ;)
BTW.... your lamp-post bending is first-rate.

Last edited:
Ahhh... ok, half the story in the earlier pic then :ROFLMAO: Both will work (of course). So put both in. ;)
Only interested in stopping luggage spillage , I have every confidence for the small amount of weight carried it will not collapse/deform

BTW.... your lamp-post bending is first-rate.
Not gone near a lamp post yet !

That was if I wanted a curve that would nestle around the tent , however I have chosen a different path now ' grass hopper ' and become more Zen in my approach :)

The tubing is OTT however it is the only stuff I have with pre-formed curves thick enough to weld to the frame.

The bends in the rod are done around a socket in the vice , G clamp and a piece of wood , that is why it is 6mm and not 8mm !

I do like what you have done with the back end of the Python Paul, its making me think why not try the same on a tadpole as long as the width does not exceed the track of the front wheels.
When the monowheel broke on my first trip I managed to get it all on the trike, a rethink is called for if I can also do away with the trailer
regards
John

I do like what you have done with the back end of the Python Paul, its making me think why not try the same on a tadpole as long as the width does not exceed the track of the front wheels.
My rear wheels are about 30" apart tyre centre to centre and all stuff is carried inside them , I think if you have a normal shaped rear rack you could either add 2 parallel rails outside of the 2 existing rails for 2 small panniers or a bar across the back big enough for 2 panniers ? with your tent on the rack north to south ?

I am trying to get down to what a normal bicycle rider would have ?
So 2 x front panniers , 2 x rear panniers and the tent.

However that requires more discipline than I currently have , as I also need 1 x small pannier for the day to day stuff - tools - wet wear clothing - inner tubes , maps etc ?

Packing will be more rigorous this year ...

If you don't pack it then you don't need the space for it and it doesn't slow you down....

When the monowheel broke on my first trip I managed to get it all on the trike, a rethink is called for if I can also do away with the trailer
regards John
Quite an achievement IMHO

regards Paul