My other touring trike

Touring time is coming up and am augmenting my stable with another machine, I built 3 folding frames in the past and still have one left , the new build will use one of these

For those of you that remember Nicor was a little unusual in its drive train system, the new build will be simpler using an N380 CVT and a Bafang on the nose, there are issues to be addressed regarding folding but not impossible to solve.
I will of course be using a mesh seat again for comfort and just for bling the last of my custom wheel hubs

paint is traditional Marengo colour

This year I hope to have a better nav system than on the last trip as my universal map of Den Haag and the world is falling apart
All it needs is a name
regards
john

You are late to the N380/Bafang party John.
But come on in, the flexibility of the combination is lovely. :D
I have found that having a 53T ring is a bit (way) OTT.
The knees really appreciate a smaller 39T ring and dialling the N380 in to suit the load/terrain.

Cheers!

You are correct in that Dan but I hope that I am able to add something towards the progress of E trikes being a very viable touring machine, as you know my goal with Nicor was to find a blend of pedal input and e assist that gave the best use of both power sources, the triple mid drive and rear mech did this to a degree but had the limitation of not always having the right ratio, I believe the 380 will go some way to address this, I think that there will not be a chainring combo that is a one size fits all but will be a matter of experiment.
It will be most interesting to compare machines
regards
John ( slim rider)

What I found with my initial foray into e-assist (on the WD) was that I had the gearing so badly wrong that without e-assist I was stuffed so I ended up using it constantly rather than "only when required" (which was the original intention). This continued through into the new machine even though its gearing is infinitely better.
I fear it has become a mindset thing and I can see that I have been failing to stay on the bottom ring and spinning with limited or no e-assist and have instead been "mashing" on the top ring with e-assist.
Consequently my knees have been complaining and my legs have turned to wet-spaghetti. :eek:
I am working on the issue and Gym 3 times a week is focusing on the "missing" leg muscles and I am learning to stay off the top ring (even though I am addicted to the 20+MPH it provides with full e-assist and mashing).
It is a re-education thing, I used to do OK with no e-assist at all (original Red Street-Fox), so I just need to get back to that.

Last edited: