New Aerotilt video now with body - this is VERY impressive

Hi all

unbelievable there is a Raptobike inside with custom tilt mechanism [ which I think he sells ] and luggage space....

Above a peek inside.

Paul

Yeah looks quite nice, narrow with tilt, neat.
I will say he makes it looks really fragile or something with how slow and steady he opens and closes it. But i like the clips.
..oh and the scary movie door-sound-effects department might like to buy his suspension set up.i wonder how bad that is in the echo chamber going down the road.

It looks great and he has achieved many laudable goals. Tilting, storage, canopy.
I would not want to try getting in/out in a high wind because both hinged parts are huge sails and getting guillotined by wind-driven body elements doesn't appeal. ;)
I always worry that being in a velo is like being inside a "guitar" with the sounds amplified and inescapable.

Very nice. I like the inbound wheels. Looks like an efficient aero design. I'm interested in any velos incorporating tilting. We all learn from each other. A good find Paul. It's not clear to me how the tilting mechanism operates as the left wheel was already set up on blocks.

velocoupe

In the early day's the tilt mechanism was a modified exercise stepper there was some stuff on the net about the modifications , I think later there was a commercial version ?

Solar Bike development

It is explained in detail in the blog on the right of the page ?

Good place to start ?

Paul

Hi Paul.
Thanks for the link. After viewing the site's Technical Category it looks like the triple disc and caliper system of "lean lock" has been replaced by the "New V2 mechanism" This new tie rod design appears to be a lighter-weight version of the "lean lock" mechanism embodied in the current Velotilt. Since its arrival in USA, the velotilt's owner unsuccessfully attempted to transform the "lean lock" into an active tilt control system by using an electric motor.
It is still not clear to me if the V2 Tilting mechanism is actively powered or simply provides a "lean lock" devise which holds the vehicle and rider upright while moving slowly and at stops.

Hi Paul.
It is still not clear to me if the V2 Tilting mechanism is actively powered or simply provides a "lean lock" devise which holds the vehicle and rider upright while moving slowly and at stops.
Simply a lock , if you watch closely the video where he gets into the new body and set's off his left leg is just visible walking it along until he gets some speed up to put that leg also on the pedals ?
Well that's my take on it ;) YMMV

Paul

Simply a lock , if you watch closely the video where he gets into the new body and set's off his left leg is just visible walking it along until he gets some speed up to put that leg also on the pedals ?
Well that's my take on it ;) YMMV

Paul
Hi Paul .
Yes, I see the left foot shuffle. I think you're right. It's simply a lock.

Strewth another video where he displays his tilt angle !!!

Only watched it briefly , need to study it.

excellent watch

Paul

You know you want one ;)

You know you want one ;)
Err no , no use for my rides.

Interesting to watch the perceived visual horizon and the tilt angle , hard to guess tilt angle from visuals.

he's braver than me , there was a huge amount of debris on the road @about 2mins

Paul

Err no , no use for my rides.

Interesting to watch the perceived visual horizon and the tilt angle , hard to guess tilt angle from visuals.

he's braver than me , there was a huge amount of debris on the road @about 2mins

Paul
If Aerotilt is a free tilter, than my understanding is that it must lean over quite a bit more than a Direct Tilt Control trike to achieve an equivalent roll over resistance. This might explain why it is tilting so much in the tight corners. Although this is part of the fun on "out of the way" roads, it might prove less than ideal in more congested urban areas where roadways and intersections are more difficult to bank to accommodate higher recommended speeds.