' No Weld ' Plans

I was thinking hybrid (mix and match) type bikes.

Sorta how the StreetRunner idea came about. That is, combining different plans to make interchangeable rides.
In that thought, I wanted to use the Street Fox with the Delta Runner.

Anyway, the idea of connecting and disconnecting the two made me think about the connecting processes....(nut and bolt)

What if 'No Weld ' plans were developed for the those that can't, or won't, be able to weld. There are 'rides' out there using the , nut and bolt,
method as we speak. In making these type plans available, you would be targeting another segment of potential buyers.

Either take from existing plans, and rework them to become 'No Weld' plans, or design completely new rides that are better suited for 'No Weld'
building. These 'No Weld' plans would of course be added to the plans you already have.

The pedal car industry has many examples.
If you remember, I built my first pedal car out of PVC.

NOTE: These examples, IMO are quite crude and ugly. They just serve to illustrate some 'No Weld' methods.
I'm sure some of the existing AZ designs, can be modified to work as 'No Weld' plans.

https://www.infentorides.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=diy+pedal+cars&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9h9H7qM7lAhUMoZ4KHS9YD3IQ_AUIEigB&biw=1331&bih=715&dpr=1.25#imgrc=_

http://www.spiller.si/pedalcar/en/chasis.htm

https://americanspeedster.com/about/our-quadricycles/baja/

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&biw=1331&bih=715&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=-gW_XZbNENfq-gSn17aoCw&q=xyz+spaceframe+vehicles&oq=xyz+spaceframe+vehicles&gs_l=img.12...0.0..24972...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz-img.gRoh6Z8PC7c&ved=0ahUKEwiWstjHwM7lAhVXtZ4KHaerDbUQ4dUDCAc

Fun idea, but for +/- $2000....I don't think so.
http://pedalpoweredbumpercars.com/
At least they gave AtomicZombie as a source for building a spin cycle.

Anyway, just an idea that may generate some interest from the 'guests', that are viewing this site daily.

Last edited:
$2000 - They're having a laugh!😁.
Love the plastic Baja pedal car.
I think a no-weld plan is an excellent idea. There must be a huge number of people who can't or won't weld. It'd need to be based around one of the more popular regular plans - probably the Warrior / Streetfox tadpole design I would think.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I must admit that I truly believe that a no weld bike will never work.
Ok, it may "work", but a flimsy and unsafe ride at best that would take 10x more effort to make than just learning to weld.
Certainly not my kind of thing!

Brad

IN MY OPINION

I must admit that I truly believe that a no weld bike will never work. 🙂

I'm no engineer, and neither are, more than likely, most of the AZ community, and guests.
But I remain convinced that there 'are' people out there in this very large world, that for what ever reason,
are in a position, where welding is just not practicable or desired, for maybe a one time build.

I have been scouring the internet, looking at many pedal vehicles, some with plans, that fall into the No Weld arena.

When I first discovered PVC pedal cars, (Pre AtomicZombie), I was skeptical of its concept, and structural integrity.
I had no welder, or welding experience at that time, so the no weld PVC build, seemed right at the time.
I went ahead and purchased their plans for the SideKick. ($ 20) NOT to build their pedal car, but to learn how to work with PVC.

My version turned out to be overkill, but it worked.
I'm so thankful for discovering AZ, which was instrumental in getting me into welding.
My PVC project quickly took a back seat.

However, not everyone has a story like mine, but they may have one of their own.
If one lives in a high rise, with no place to weld, grind, cut, etc. they are left out.
Even if they wanted a recumbent exercise bike.
But a 'nuts and bolts' version, may be something that can be built in ones own living space.

Just this morning I was looking at the TimberWolf, wondering just how to modify it, into a no weld build.
I see a number of ways, while staying as close as practicable, to the original design.
There are square tube connectors available, but are expensive. Internal and/or external gussets are an option, with good aesthetic design.
The hardest part has been figuring out, how to make the steering/spindles, while remaining uncluttered/bulky looking.

Anyway, I just had to throw in my 2 cents.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Yes, integrity in all of these areas would be a massive ordeal with bolts, glue, tape, or bubblegum!... bottom bracket, head tubes, kingpins, and suspension points.

I can honestly say that I will never attempt a no weld bike or a wooden bike as I just don't see it being feasible.
Of course, I am not saying it can't be done (I don't know such words), I am saying it won't be done by me - just not my bag.
Aluminum is another thing I won't ever use for a vehicle frame, and yes I am trained at welding both aluminum and cast.

Your PVC car was way cool of course, and I was impressed to see it come together!

Brad

SirJoey

Super Moderator
If one lives in a high rise, with no place to weld, grind, cut, etc. they are left out.
These days, that would be... uh... ME.
I'm glad I took advantage of the opportunities I had to build a whole slew of HPVs back in the day
when I still HAD a shop, welder, various tools, etc. These days I really miss it, but I see it as unlikely
that situation will ever arise in my life again. But if by some chance it ever does, I'LL JUMP AT IT!!!

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Do other countries have the equivalent of what are known in Australia as Men's Sheds? Some are specifically set up, following a defined set of rules, while others are facilitated by certain organisations. They are well-setup or fully setup workshops catering for wood and/or steel fabrication, sometimes including other crafts. Members are generally those who now have the time but not the space or equipment to indulge their creative passions. In my nearest city, Bendigo, there are four of these entities providing the means for construction. I think three are under the Men's Sheds organisation while the other is managed by the Returned Services League. Another is being formed in a town 30km away. They are all over the place and surely must exist in other parts of the world.

They are ideal for access to those things that you don't have and, in some cases, would be a valuable source of cameraderie and fellowship. Worth seeking out if you are having difficulties. I suppose one could always go to Brad's place but it may be a bit far for most.

Website
miscdotgeek.com
In the US they call them "hackerspaces" and they are few and far between. There's so much liability and cost involved that they have a hard time. They haven't really taken off that I can tell, and only exist in the biggest of cities where there are enough people to support it.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Come on over!

Here in the back woods of Gillies Ontario, you will enjoy a 15 minute trip through waste deep snow (November to April) out to my shack...

For those brave enough to make the trek in -20 or -40 weather, you will enjoy a luxurious work day in this 40 foot construction trailer that once housed 3 horses...

What the brochure doesn't tell you though is that you have to work outdoors due to all but the last 6 feet being mostly collapsed.
On the bright side, the view is nice when it's not raining, which is typically an hour per day!

We do have power! Thanks to 500 feet of extension cords running back to the house, we get about 80 volts at the other end, and although power tools run at half the speed, it does help to promote the art of patience! Also remember safety, there ain't no one around to hear you scream if you drop a car axle on yer head!

Remember visitors, bring your bear spray in the 2 months of summer, and survival gear during the other 10 months of winter!
Book now, time is running out, there is only room for 1 person in the 6x6 section where I do the grinding!
Please give a great review on Trip Advisor, we know there are much scarier B&B's getting 5 stars on that fake site!

See you soon,
AZ Shacker Space AKA Madman Shed.

They are ideal for access to those things that you don't have and, in some cases, would be a valuable source of cameraderie and fellowship. Worth seeking out if you are having difficulties. I suppose one could always go to Brad's place but it may be a bit far for most.

Website
miscdotgeek.com
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

"Shacker Space" is what really got me LOL. At work I wrote a training module on how to properly troubleshoot anything and I named one section "Troubleshooting yourself in the foot". Considering you coined "shackerspace" I thought you might appreciate the pun lol.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I was tempted to book a stay, but no mention of amenities - swimming pool? bar? breakfast?
Oh, but of course Sir, we have all of the luxuries one would expect at a 5 star ShackerSpace!

I just dug the pool this spring, mainly because I was told it could not be done in one day into the red clay. Yes, sadly, those around me do know how to trick me into going overboard by feeding my "hate to lose" attitude...

The pool is only 5 feet deep, so be careful when diving, and try not to step on a frog or snake.

Breakfast is served all day long, consisting of an assortment of apples from the 20+ apples trees around the shack as well as the endless orchard of saskatoon berries and choke cherries...

In the 10 winter months though, you are on your own! Make sure to carb-load because the trek through 3 feet of snow just to get to the shack will burn 600+ calories per hour. You will need to wear layers, many layers indeed!

We don't have TV, but can get you on the internet most of the time depending on the amount of cloud cover in the sky that day.

As for the bar, it is limited seating, but for you single guys, there are plenty of chicks...

Book ahead, and we will toss in a free DIY blackfly net that covers your face and extends all the way to your hips, as this is the only know way to maintain sanity in the 2 non winter months. You can see this stylish garmet wrapped around my mug in the pool dig photo.

Hope to see you soon.

Last edited:
Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
Very interesting. I looked hard but didn't see any mention of what airport the bus service runs from, nor any mention of discounted tours. Expected some managed trike rides as well but no mention.

Seriously, I'm glad it's where you live and not me. It would have its moments, but ...

Here, there is a definite chance of stepping on a snake and it has nearly happened to me three times. I did a dance with one with my back up against a wall. They never really bothered me before then but now just thinking about that episode unsettles me. Add to that, white-tailed spiders, red back spiders, many summer days between 35-45 degrees C temperatures, the ever-present threat of bushfires, drought and water shortages, etc., I can see why they call Australia the Lucky Country. It's not all like that though, just the further inland you go, the generally drier it gets. On this side of the Great Australian Dividing Range, the grass turns brown in September and does not go green again until late March. Virtually no green grass around here at the moment. It has been a dry year and bushfires have already started in the Northern states with more than 100 reported for Queensland yesterday.

Living on a rural block we do get close to nature and see many things that city folk don't. Took a photo of two shingleback lizards in an intimate embrace yesterday. City folk missed out on that one. Watched a snake a couple of years ago take three hours to ingest one of them about 200mm long and about 50mm thick. The snake was somewhat immobile while it was doing it and looking at its bulges, it looked like its previous meal was a frog.

Don't read too much into that "getting close to nature" comment. We keep our clothes on to avoid the sunburn.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Here is where we live...

The large building is the house, the smaller long building is my old shack, and the other small buildings are the chicken coop, sheds, coop, etc.
The small section surrounded by the dirt road represents 6 acres of the 120 we have, most of it bush on other sides of both roads.

Welcome to AZ country!

Brad