PRESENTATION

Hello Gents,

Currently I am struggling with the chain.
This one goes from the crank and from there must be forced below the frame.
There for I tried to solve the problem with derailleur wheels but this does not work. SO I have to go for small wheels with two flanges to keep the chain in place and guide it. The wheels should also have bearings.
Does anyone know where I can buy these elements? I am from Belgium. So the Netherlands should be O.K.
Sorry, but I have no experience whatsoever with bikes and I have to reinvent the wheel

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Photos make all the difference!
If you post a few pic of where you are at, I can make some suggestions, possible parts.
Derailleur wheels cannot be used on the top side of your chain.

Brad

Charles,
Many folks have found that these rope-pulley wheels are more than adequate for the drive-side chain diverter.
HERE

Hello again,

I just bought a plan for the warrior.
I'd like to know if the builder here used normal electrode welding or did he use a TIG. His welds are just awesome.

Charles

Charles,
Many folks have found that these rope-pulley wheels are more than adequate for the drive-side chain diverter.
HERE
Thank you,

I just bought two pulleys in copper. 4 euros each. But they have no bearings.
For my final concept I will use thise you mention here.
Thanks again.
I'll mke sure to post a few pics when I get the trike running. (if ever :) :) )

Charles

Hello again,

I just bought a plan for the warrior.
I'd like to know if the builder here used normal electrode welding or did he use a TIG. His welds are just awesome.

Charles
All the plans (and the welds pictured in them) were executed by our host Brad. :D
I believe it was all "Stick" welding.

Photos make all the difference!
If you post a few pic of where you are at, I can make some suggestions, possible parts.
Derailleur wheels cannot be used on the top side of your chain.

Brad
I just found out that this does not work. Trial and error. And a lot of errors in the beginning.
Now that I have the Warrior plan, I think I will revise my design when building my final trike. This version I am building is the prototype.
And it has got me in some pains more than once.

Thanks again for the answers and good advises.
I really think Atomic Zombie is a great site with a lot of really nice people forming part of it.

Charles

Charles,
Skate board wheels seem to work very well, cheap and easy to obtain with bearings included, you will of course need to cut the groove in but thats easy, you mount the wheel on an 8mm bolt trapped between 2 x 10 franc coins and spin in a drill using a file or knife to cut the groove, I know Danny C has had success with this method

Hello gents,

THanks for the tip for using skate wheels and make a groove in it. Just did it today and it looks as it will definitively work.
Next step is putting on the back derailleur.

Cheers,

Charles

Hello Guys,

I am struggling with the last part of my trike.
As I started before knowing Atomic Zombie, I started with my own ideas, and there fore I am now in a kind of dead end. My clearance below the trike is not enough to allow me under seat steering. But when I try to have a direct steering the handles bump on my thighs. Also the back quarter of the wheel is getting very close to my arm. Does anyone has an idea hos to solve such a problem? For sure, my next kite will definitely be the "Warrior". Sure as hell. As the designer has allready performed almost all the thinking, if not all the thinking.

Thanks for any idea to get me out of this dead end.

Cheers,
Charles

pictures would help ?

look up tank steering as used in some velomobiles ?

In your case weld a horizontal bar coming off the main tube under the seat going left to right and 2 vertical levers pivoted on the ends of the bar each with a control arm going to the steering [ in this example they are below the pivot , if you have room they could be above ?

what size front wheels ? they are either to big or the trike is to narrow ?

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Hello,

I welded everything you see on this website using a basic department store welded set only for AC. I also use only 6013 rod.
I do this because I believe this to be the most basic possible method, thus proving that anyone can do this.
Most use gas rigs, and welding with one of those is 10x easier to master!

To continue this "only the basics" conversation, the ONLY other tools I own are...

A basic hand drill, angle grinder, hammer, wrenches, and screwdrivers.
I have no other tools, and I do not own a garage. I work on old sawhorses outdoors.

Brad

Hello again,

I forgot a question last time.

If I want to add an electric motor on the trike. Make it a kind of e-bike. Do I have to buy those expensive kids or are there other possibilities, without having to pass through those rippers?
Hub motor, batteries, switch . I have tried AliBaba in China, and to be honest they are not that expensive, but I don't know what to expect. I have seen Hub motors etc but without batteries for 360 dollars.
What do you guys think?

Charles

P.S. I have even seen a full waorking recumbent trike going from 650 dollars to 1100 dollars. (no shipping nor taxes tough)

Hello again,

I am trying to send photographs of my trike, but, being an old dog, I can't find a way to do it. I'll ask the neighbours.
In the mean time I am starting my REAL trike, THE WARRIOR.
Of course my first problem is here do I find the right wheels so that I can mount disc brakes on them. They should be 20" wheels with a 14 mm axle as a minimum.
Can someone give me a direction? I live in Belgium Europe, and could easily have the wheels sent to me from almost any part of the world.
Thanks fo any info. And.... wait for the pics. :) :)

Charles