Quad build.

Fat tyres, tubes and wheels weigh a lot. You'll be adding a lot of kilos if using 4 of them. Good comfort but at a cost and with full suspension anyway more of an aesthetic choice rather than a necessity imo. Likely to be strong though so long as you don't pick the heavily lightened rimed ones.

Fat tyres, tubes and wheels weigh a lot. You'll be adding a lot of kilos if using 4 of them. Good comfort but at a cost and with full suspension anyway more of an aesthetic choice rather than a necessity imo. Likely to be strong though so long as you don't pick the heavily lightened rimed ones.
We don't take those extreme fat tyres, but the big mtb ones. Those big ones are way to expensive.
Mtb tyres are good and easy to get replacements for.
We go for good wheels. We looked ad rims and found one. I don't have the info, but they are good. The hubs are an other story. The prices from the hubs that I used on my first build, are increase in price. So it will probably be something from Shimano this time.
We must check what axle will fit.

Weight isn't a real problem. The feame will be heavier, but it gets a 2000w motor with controler. We turn it down, but I get a controler with an other order I did. It is a 1000w controler, that you can set to 500w with a switch. That is for my good enough.
Than I have power when I go off road and lower the power in traffic.
It is also good solution for pulling my caravan.

but it gets a 2000w motor with controler. We turn it down, but I get a controler with an other order I did. It is a 1000w controler
But entirely illegal in the EU?

But entirely illegal in the EU?
No the motor is legal. As you set the power output on the controler to 250w and speed limit to 25km/h, it is legal as long as it is activated with pedal assist.
Or you just use a 250w controller, than everything is OK.

My Koga Miata has motor that is 1000w. I used a 250/350w controller on it.
I will use a 1000w motor with a 350/500w controler on my trike.
Both will not be legal, but in the Netherlands that isn't a problem. As it isn't allowed and you aren't insured, you still get payed as a car hits you or you the car. The car is always wrong in the Netherlands, even as you don't follow the rules in the Netherlands.

According the rules I may make my bike as fast as I want, but I will kot be allowed on the public roads. But with the amount of bikes in the Netherlands, that doesn't matter.

I will not go fast in the city. The quad is big and heavy, so to ride safe in traffic, I can't go fast. Especially not on a bicycle road with other cyclists. It is wide, so take a lot of space on the road.
It is for weight compensation, pulling my caravan and having fun off-road.

I made it so it is a hit clearer how the quad will look like.
I changed the part by the seat also.
The rear plate is now low, but I will probably make it, so it is above the wheels.

Emeil

Have you seen this ?

French cargo quad

Paul
I didn't see that one yet.
Interesting concept.

I didn't work on it today, but tomorrow I will go further with it. Going to check how much space I have with the wheels and the steering.
Also going to work out the adjustable Ackerman and adjustable tank steering.

I will make it, so I can adjust as much as possible.
From seat to Ackerman to suspension.
I want that it can be setup my personal preference in how it drives, but als so I can adjust it, so it is better for as I go traveling with my caravan.

The motor is a beast. I hold it today and it is heavy. 2000w, but I don't know if I put a 2000w controller on it. It will probably be a 1000w controller.
Gearing wil be 1,4 to 1. So a bit more power and less top speed.

Tomorrow I start on modeling the diff.
As that is done, I will do the motor.
When I am ready with that, I can work further on the drive train.

We still need to decide witch hubs we use.
That is the only thing I need to know to finish it all.
I think that it will be the same ones as on my first Trike. Those are downhill hubs for 20mm axle. But they have spacers to make them 15mm. I rethink that, that it will be. Tyres will be from Schwalbe off road. I will also get road Tyres, for touring.

Seen this ?

another Quad

Paul
After kliking on the link, yes. 😂

One looked a bit how I do it, but the others are all road quads.

New thing that will be added, an adjustable spring. Not a tiny bit, but in 2 configurations. One flat and one upright. This gives 2 complete different setups. The flat one will have a longer suspension traffel and softer. Better for off road.
The upright will be stiffer en more for on road.

I received my 1000w rear hub motor for my trike.
Next week it will be installed and my trike will be changed.
As that is done, we will probably start with the first parts for the quad. I just want my trike good again so I can ride it again.
Controler will be 350/500w 36/48v so 350w with my 36v batteries.
Thanks to Maddox I have now an extra 880wh battery. That makes that as I use all 3 batteries, I will have over 3,5kwh on my trike.

Wheels look good. The Schwalbe tires arrived this week and yesterday the rims. They look good. I will order a few hubs by the end of the month and we will build a few wheels to see how they look.
Spokes will be 2,6mm heavy, but good for what we want.
I will also get toad tires, but that will vond later.

Some of the changes I make to my trike, will probably also be used on the quad.

I only changed one thing. I wanted to make my caravan as a trailer, but I don't do that. My quad will get a big box on the back. It will be removable, but I think that it will also be the base for the roof with solar panels.

I can't wait with start building, but I need to finish my Trike first and save some money for the parts I need. But as soon as we start, the base feame will be build in a short time.
I am hoping to build and print several molds that help with welding. This safes a lot of building time and makes it a lot easier.

I do like the idea of printed tube holders for welding. It's essentially a set of small cheap perfectly made jigs and should be widely used by anyone with the skills to do them.

I do like the idea of printed tube holders for welding. It's essentially a set of small cheap perfectly made jigs and should be widely used by anyone with the skills to do them.
It works great. I used it a bit with my trike, but I didn't expect much from it. But it surprised me in a positive way.
It safes a lot of time and everything will be more precise.

Hi Paul,

I like the first one. Nice design, only not for me.

Mine will be different, because I will sit lower and the rear suspension will be different.
But the concept is about the same.

The rear has the option to Cary stuff, or just like this one, pull a trailer/caravan.
I also want to build a new caravan, but I start with the quad.
I love this fat tire quad!!!! Are plans available for it???

We are getting slowly some parts in.
Meanwhile I worked on the front suspension.
I have now 2 versions.
I will make renders and post them when I have them. I need to finish one and then can I post it.

I hope to get the steel this week, with what I need for my trike.
I want to start building.

I can also easily work out the spring locations, to get the same travel in the rear and the front.
We go for 190mm dempaners. Not the most common ones, but the ones that have the most travel and fit in the design.

The quad will start with a 500w 36v controler, but later it gets a 2000w 48v controler.
It will take some time before I have 2 2kw 48v batteries.

I made a good progress with the design. We'll design, the position of the shocks and arm lengths.
We also made progress with the parts that we are going to use and how to mount it.

Now this is done, I can start with working out the model.

It is happening again. I change plans constantly. Not the design of the quad. That is de sided in the big lines. I only need to finish the details.
But in what I do with the back.
One will stay a short wheel base with some cargo space. But mine will be a longer wheel base with a fixed box on it that can be changed in a camper by removing the front seat and folding out the front.
Mine also gets a roof, a rear view camera with display and 4 solar panels (maybe 5). This way I can also pull a trailer with a boat on it.

Many plans, but the building starts soon. First I need to recover a bit. I was sick. Sitting more on the toilet than anywhere else and last night I didn't sleep.

First I need to recover a bit. I was sick. Sitting more on the toilet than anywhere else and last night I didn't sleep.
Whilst we look forward to your build with eager anticipation .....

This may be a little bit to much detail :D;)

Paul