Security & homebuilt recumbents

Any experience or opinions about risk of vandalism or theft? I just finally got my marauder into a rideable state, and wanna take it for a run up to Vancouver BC. My thinking is that if it's obviously a homebuilt, nobodies gonna steal it. But at this point I'm not sure how much to worry about bikelocking, although the bike is somewhat "priceless" (to me)...

But at this point I'm not sure how much to worry about bikelocking, although the bike is somewhat "priceless" (to me)...
There is a maxim spend as much on your bike security as your bike is worth ?

Well a bit excessive however always use a quality lock , two different types of lock are also good as each require different tools/techniques.

That should deter the opportunist thief , you don't want to give it away to someone with the bottle to try and take it.

Above that if someone wants your bike they will turn up with 2 assistants and a van and it will be inside in under a minute.

I have the same view - to me it is priceless and full of memories of past adventures so I would like to keep it until I am ready to part with it.

I found a nice disc brake lock on Amazon. It has an audible alarm. If you nudge the bike it chirps a warning then further movement sets off a loud siren. Since it is small and attaches to a disc that makes it super awkward to cut or break off.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
To me, my home-builts are at LEAST as valuable as any factory ride, so I treat them as such.
I believe in at least 3 good quality locks, all of different types & by different manufacturers.
As Stormbird mentioned, and I concur, different tools & attacks would be necessary.
Even at THAT, I'm uncomfortable leaving one unattended more than a few minutes. Can't be too careful! :)