Simple elastomer suspension [ again ] a buildable version of those trailer units ?

Hi all
Those inventive Finns have been at it again !

14mm O-ring strip, material EPDM, which is very resistant to UV and cold. The 100mm long element produces 75Nm with a little less than 10° twist. This is also very stiff in other directions where movement is not desired.

I like the split housing , however I bet it is a 2 man job to bolt the think together with all the parts in the right place ?
I reckon the moving part needs plates at both ends to stop the elastomers from creeping out.

I did find some of this on Ebay cheap , it is a sort of continuous [ i.e linear ] ' O ' ring material.

Paul

The fact it's in a vice could mean a person alone can prepare it.

And it's not an uncomming thing to be seen in industrial applications. Most of the time applied as chain or belt tensioners. I like them because simplicity.

Maybe an option to replace the pivot of a swing arm with this idea, combined with conventional springs?

The fact it's in a vice could mean a person alone can prepare it.

And it's not an uncomming thing to be seen in industrial applications. Most of the time applied as chain or belt tensioners. I like them because simplicity.

Maybe an option to replace the pivot of a swing arm with this idea, combined with conventional springs?
The whole point is to not have conventional springs ! it is very compact and easy to mount on the rear of a trike/quad ?

The discussion starts here near the bottom of the page.

Suspension

it is interesting where someone filled the voids completely with elastomer compound and with no where to goo it deformed the metal tube !

Paul