Sourcing rims

Now I know the AZ plans call for most of not all parts be reused from " junkers". BUT, my concern is the rims. What exactly am I looking for in a rim? Double wall? 1.75? Fat tire?
I want to tour and see the USA. From a slower pace. So I don't want to be tacoing a rim in the middle Bum**** Egypt.

Speaking from bitter experience....
  • Accidents can and will happen.
  • Even the best and most expensive "double-walled" rims can get Taco'd (I've done it twice to Sunringle CR18's and they are pretty strong rims).
  • Even a moderately bad taco can be straightened out to be serviceable if you carry your wheelbuilding tools with you and a spare spoke or two.
  • Always have a puncture kit, one spare tube & tyre for each size of wheel.
Always made it home again, with the help of fantastic friends and tour-buddies.

Website
miscdotgeek.com
It's all about budget. If you can spend money on double walled rims made to be bomb-proof, then you can. And they cost about $100 each:

If you're on a budget like I am, then you use junkyard parts, but go "fat tire" to take some of the shock load off the wheels themselves. But, if I were going do touring, I'd spend the $$. You're far less likely to have issues. But as DannyC said, there can still be failures. But I had those rims listed above on a fixed gear upright commuter bike. At 330lbs, I was doing about 25mph and hit a deep pot hole and the full force of the edge of that pothole went into the rear rim, with only a 1.75" tire. It was still perfectly true afterward. THAT's the wheel I want for the long term.

Much will depend on the bike or trike you build. If you build a two wheeler the wheels will not be stressed any more than any other bike. If you build a three wheeler then they start to take side stresses which they don't get on bikes. Again much will depend on the surface - good roads or potholes or off-road.

Interesting, Popshot. But I would think that 20 to 25 mph in a straight line isn't going to stress the rims TOO much. Unless I was running on gravel or a crummy shoulder. Then it's 10 or less. ( Still a little crazy but not crazy stupid 😁 ). A Harley rider who I am friends with once told me " When you're driving you're watching a movie. When you ride you are part of the movie. And, yes he thinks the Schwonda I built is " Freaking cool ". Gots 2 wheels and an engine. 😁

Website
miscdotgeek.com
The stress comes not from going straight, but from turning. When a bike leans into a turn, the wheel still experiences all forces in its centerline. When the same wheel is used in a trike, it experiences lateral forces in a turn that it would never experience on a bicycle. I am wary of this on my own build, and am already thinking about ways to rebuild using AZ style hubs and shafts. And disk brakes.

The stress comes not from going straight, but from turning. When a bike leans into a turn, the wheel still experiences all forces in its centerline. When the same wheel is used in a trike, it experiences lateral forces in a turn that it would never experience on a bicycle. I am wary of this on my own build, and am already thinking about ways to rebuild using AZ style hubs and shafts. And disk brakes.
That I understand. This is still in planning and I'm trying to figure out all the problems before hand. And I know I won't think of or be able to address them all.

To put things in a proper context (as I see it/have experienced it).
Yes, the vertical non-tilting front wheels on a tadpole undergo additional stress when cornering.
No, I have never ever had one "taco" or fold over while cornering, even though I have been up on 2 wheels.
I have had a front wheel "taco" when the tie-bar between the 2 front wheels came undone and the RH wheel went sideways on me at speed. My fault, the Nyloc had not been done up. I managed (with help) to straighten the wheel sufficiently to get me back home from abroad.
I have struck a bollard at speed and that has bent the rim.
Both occasion's were exceptional and not part of normal riding behaviours, so I think that under normal treatment/conditions, the risk is minimal.

To put things in a proper context (as I see it/have experienced it).
Yes, the vertical non-tilting front wheels on a tadpole undergo additional stress when cornering.
No, I have never ever had one "taco" or fold over while cornering, even though I have been up on 2 wheels.
I have had a front wheel "taco" when the tie-bar between the 2 front wheels came undone and the RH wheel went sideways on me at speed. My fault, the Nyloc had not been done up. I managed (with help) to straighten the wheel sufficiently to get me back home from abroad.
I have struck a bollard at speed and that has bent the rim.
Both occasion's were exceptional and not part of normal riding behaviours, so I think that under normal treatment/conditions, the risk is minimal.
I'm building a Delta so keeping an extra wheel set on for the front tire is NP. I also came across a post for building 6 discs welding 2 to the axles and bolting the wheels on those. Makes changing the whole unit out a lot easier I would think.

And between you and me. I don't have the skillset for a tadpole.😁

Thank you for presenting your unfortunate scenarios and glad you didn't wipe out or get seriously hurt.