Tadpole front wheel drive system?

Any chance of a tadpole front wheel drive system ... preferably including suspension so it could also be used on a quad?

David Bruce Trikes developed one, but it involves machining beyond the scope of a typical AZ project. His website has gone but there are videos on YouTube:

The Russian S327 trike also has FWD but no suspension and the steering pivot doesn’t look to line up with the tyre contact point for centre point steering:

All wheel drive may seem excessive on a single seater, but on a tandem it would allow separate front and rear drivetrains:
  • Eliminate the long timing chain linking the captain’s pedals to the stoker’s pedals.
  • Add electric assist without pushing all the drive force through a single set of components.
  • Better traction for loose gravel etc.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Funny you mention this, as I do have something like that on my drawing board.
I would never do it in a plan though, as it would be very expensive and difficult to make.

The trike I am going to do FWD on is called "The Nomad Camper Trike".
It is a fully functional tadpole camper trike, similar in size to The Viking.
Imagine this with FWD, no stoker, and about 4 feet more length behind the pilot...

There will also be a full fairing covering the unit, with a separate sleeping segment.
The human power will be direct to the left front wheel, much like the Sputnik Trike mentioned.

The rear wheel will be a hubmotor, running from lipo charged via solar.
The entire velo roof will be lined with flexible solar panels.

The Nomad is perhaps a 2020 project, and I expect it to take a few years.
The end result is a camper trike capable of crossing great distances.
I took a few shots at a camper trike, but this new design is far superior.
Will start a blog page when I have more time.

Brad

Last edited:
Thank you kindly for that, Mr Brad! I shall await the Nomad with interest. One way or another the Viking has a lot to answer for.

My Longfellow Mark I will continue as originally planned, and if it is successful then it will also become a development mule for Mark II which will have a few extra features...