The Marengo "Loki" Thread.

For a stop gap can the 'block ' be transferred between trikes ?

all the best Paul
Paul,
Probably, is the answer. But I am also seeing that the extremely limited range of the extremely clever internal clamp means there is a great deal of fine-tuning involved in order to get the darn thing to "lock" at a set length.
The draw-bar's pull exerted on the 4-way wedge affair seems to be less than 5mm and this means that the clamping force is rather limited. Too clever by half ;) and currently ineffectual in its grip on the inside of the keel tube. I suspect that I shall have to slacken it all off and set the wedges initial position with the adjuster nut so that it is then VERY DIFFICULT to insert it into the outer tube. Then ram it home to the desired position and only then try and tighten it up. It may then "fix" to a length, and then I can pack the sides to prevent the "waggle". I am mindful that I cannot do anything that prevents dis-assembly, as it all has to come to bits for final powder-coating.

Twinkle

Super Moderator
l can remember chatting to John when he was designing the " hidden " adjusting device , then it sounded ingenious but too complicated, John had so many ideas and he is sadly missed

l can remember chatting to John when he was designing the " hidden " adjusting device , then it sounded ingenious but too complicated, John had so many ideas and he is sadly missed
It is incredibly clever, but with that cleverness comes a level of complexity that you would rather not have. :D
Still miss the old scoundrel terribly, it was such a terrible loss.
He was planning to have his 360Watt Bafang on LOKI and he had cleverly contrived a dual chainring for it and I think he knew it would tax the hidden clamp so welding it up was on his list of mods.
I do think I can get it to wedge a bit tighter (certainly tight enough to withstand pedal-power).

Twinkle

Super Moderator
What about a slot cut under the boom allowing a sliding adjustment with 2 securing bolts with penny washers and packing on the other 3 sides or hold a seance and get some spiritual guidance from the Welsh Wizard.

regards Emma

Friday 4th October 2019

The tasks I set myself for today were:
  1. Remember to put out the "Happy 44th Anniversary" Card on the mantelpiece where herself would find it.
  2. Do the plumbing in of the front hydraulic brakes.
Plumbing in the brakes isn’t a difficult task (apart from having to stand up bent-double). I was hopeful that the “Clarks” (no relation) hydraulic line shortening kit and the “Total Bleed Solutions” (no prizes for guessing what this item is) would make it relatively painless. It was disappointing that the supplied Clarks dust covers to go over the hydraulic line at the cut end did not actually fit onto the Clarks brake levers. However, the dust covers that came with the levers themselves were able to fit the re-terminated lines and their ferrules. Eventually, after an initial hiccup doing it the official way I reverted to type and did it "my way" and the job was jobbed.

Here it is all done. The weather was closing in so I put everything away. If there is no rain tomorrow, I might venture out for a first trial ride on LOKI.

Last edited: