Velomobile ? <30kg can carry a passenger , floats and you can sleep in it ! I kid you not.

Hi all

Unbelievable ......

Paul

Wow that is just amazing. What a cracking machine. The boat bit I don't rate but the rest is just great. So much room inside such a compact body makes a velo a real practical machine as far as I'm concerned.
Even the naked front wheel doesn't look wrong to my eyes.

I take it the chain run is straight because it runs from the far right of the pedal shaft to the RHS wheel so doesn't need supporting or diverting the way the usual chain run does? Just the pair of guide tubes are enough.
Short body (or chassis extension?) mounted rear axles leave the floor pretty much flat and free from obstructions front to back. Amazingly lightweight and fairly streamlined so should be pretty fast

Thanks for posting this trike Paul. Totally inspiring.

John

John

Love to know how it was built , there seems to be no steel at all yet it can withstand the pedaling forces ?

There are some similar steel designs here Finnish forum projects list like this Kolmipyörä

The body in the video is probably built like this :- Zote foam velomobile

This is Harald Winklers MEUFL a 12 Kg velomobile Desciption

Which looks like this one
behind which looks like a relation of the floating one.

I assumed you lived near the broads [ boasting it is very flat where you live ] so floating could be right up your street ?

Paul

Wow! That's certainly a very versatile machine. Good find. :D

Interesting stuff Paul. I don't understand much of what they were explaining in the pics or vids and not impressed by much of their builds but the layout of the drivetrains was very interesting to me. First thought was 'I must build one of those' but sanity returned.

I would want suspension as it's one of the most successful features of my first build- really effective along the lanes. This would mean more complexity and weight.
I would want the seat higher off the ground and with much better visibilty from the cockpit.
I don't actually need the full flat floor feature as I would never be camping aboard to make full use of it.
I don't actually need the weather protection as I won't be going out in the rain unless I'm unlucky enough to get caught in a downpour and neither will I be going out in really cold weather.
I probably don't have the skill or experience to even build it in the first place!!

I do want to have a go at a RWS delta though? Now Joan is set on the upright/wrong trike I can just play so I think that's what I will do next- unless I see something else on here that gets the juices flowing of course.

I do like the delta and even though mine is heavy and a bit clunky it rolls well and turns easily in the width of our lanes hereabouts so nice to ride all told.

I haven't managed any build work in the last few weeks as our extension has been taking all my energies but I can see light at the end of the tunnel now so hope the winter isn't too cold for me to get in the shop a lot more.

John

Found the build thread :- camping velomobile

Still no the wiser as to how they contain the pedaling forces ?

If you read it through Google translate there are come technical details :-

So that the floor area remains free of the bottom bracket mast, chain, swing arm and rear wheel, the camper becomes a delta trike with a crankshaft and drive on the right rear wheel. That has already proven itself with the asphalt pedal boats. Apart from the free floor space, the delta trike has other advantages over a tadpole:
  • the vehicle can turn on the spot (at least to the left)
  • the VM can be pulled behind you by the front wheel for maneuvering or uphill like a handcart ( therefore the rear wheels are at the very back)
  • the fork can be misused as a drawbar for towing
  • space-saving upright parking is possible as with the ATB
  • Tire bursts are less dangerous
...and also disadvantages:
  • poorer aerodynamics
  • possibly higher risk of tipping
over - the vehicle may pull to the left when accelerating

The velomobile consists of a self-supporting carbon/glass-Styrodur sandwich body.
Width: 80cm
Wheelbase: 210cm
Ground clearance: approx. 8cm Lying
area: 190cm x 70cm (54cm between the wheel arches)
The bottom plate is 38mm thick and has a layer of UD carbon and a layer of glass on top, a layer of UD carbon and two layers of glass on the bottom. The hood in the photos is from the " little black one ". The camping velomobile will probably get a different hood with a motorcycle helmet visor. The velomobile also becomes amphibious along the way. What do you think of the concept? Are there any suggestions for improvement? Does such a mobile home already exist or will this be the first of its kind?

There are some ride reports suggesting it is so noisy inside he has to wear ear defenders to ride it !

Paul

That little black one is a pretty amazing machine too! RWS tadpole with (almost) centre wheel kingpin and drive to one front wheel. In the below vid he's followed by a bike and seems to be doing an effortless 29kph?
I certainly wouldn't want one and construction seems marginal from what I can see but the ingenuity is stunning.

John

Last edited:
Thanks Paul
I have had an eye on XPS boards to use as a bike body building material for a long time.
XPS boards are sold in the UK as insulation board for underfloor heating and are availible in 6, 10, 20 or 30mm thickness.
I never thought to do the whole body from it, but why not.
I can see metal plates where the pedal bearings are located and around the head tube
But the most interesting is that this large velomobile weighs less than 30kg compared with the small celotape body velomobiles 34kg, which has a metal frame.
Mayby this is the way to go?
But how do you attach a python front end to a XPS rear body?
Back to the drawing board.

Jonrev

that is a virtual pivot similar to the Velayo velomobile sold briefly with no adverse reviews of the system.

Different velomobile these had loads of problems with over sensitive steering at high speeds and came up with several elaborate ways to combat that most resulting in loss of turning circle.

Pegasus

Yes one down side is Python front not possible also
Very noisy
Clouting something could mean a whole new body ?
Which is why I am cloaking a naked trike , hopeful the body will be around 7kg !

Paul