Viking/Aurora project

I'm looking to build a Viking but want to mix it with the Aurora.
I plan to build the Viking as a Delta, with the Aurora back end and front end.

I plan to use the heaver (14 gauge) 2 inch square tubing and axle setup. I'm not sure of the impact on the plans when doing this.

I was looking for a two up delta recumbent, but the Viking came closest, the Kyoto I think is too wide for my plans.

Any suggestion are most welcome. I'm still planning and sourcing my parts.

A few changes I plan of making are:
  1. Frame modifications for delta
  2. 26 inch tires
  3. Still thinking about adding electric mid engine support
  4. Also thinking how it can be broken down to be shipped overseas. Probably some flanges that bolt together.
Thanks

If you're looking to make a delta based tandem you might want to steal a page from Hase's book. They use a tandem coupler that allows you to connect two of their delta trikes into a tandem. This way you just make two delta trikes and link them together. Definitely easier to ship and has the added benefit of being a simpler build. You also have the added benefit of having two separate trikes if you want to ride alone. This also gives you the option of linking two different deltas (e.g., Aurora, Timberwolf).

I've seen these and tried out a Hase with a Sun Tri-Classic and it does work well. Expensive!
We were originally considering two tri-classics which are well priced but hard to find here in Canada.
For the same monies I can build a nice tandem trike or two and get something closer to what I have in mind.

Thanks for the suggestion!

You misunderstood my suggestion. I wasn't recommending buying Hase bikes; I was recommending building two AZ delta trikes of your choice and linking them together with a coupler vice building a single delta style tandem.
Going this route you can stick closer to the stock plans which addresses #1 on your list and having two separate deltas addresses #4.

Regarding #2, if you want 26" wheels on a delta you might want to get the plans for the Timberwolf, Deltarunner, or Deltawolf for reference. Reason I mention it is that the plans for deltas with 20" rear wheels like the Aurora say to match the hub spacing on the donor wheels; however, the plans with 26" rear wheels specifically call out a 3.5" spacing on the hub flanges for added lateral strength.

You misunderstood my suggestion. I wasn't recommending buying Hase bikes; I was recommending building two AZ delta trikes of your choice and linking them together with a coupler vice building a single delta style tandem.
Going this route you can stick closer to the stock plans which addresses #1 on your list and having two separate deltas addresses #4.

Regarding #2, if you want 26" wheels on a delta you might want to get the plans for the Timberwolf, Deltarunner, or Deltawolf for reference. Reason I mention it is that the plans for deltas with 20" rear wheels like the Aurora say to match the hub spacing on the donor wheels; however, the plans with 26" rear wheels specifically call out a 3.5" spacing on the hub flanges for added lateral strength.
I did understand you were talking about using a couple of Atomic Zombie deltas hooked together. I was just mentioning that I had tried two deltas hooked together, I liked the ride but did not like the fork flex.

I do have these other plans, but had not seen the spacing change for the 26 inch wheels. Thanks for pointing that out. I purchased the LoadRunner2 plans as it seems closer to my final goal.

One thing I wish the AZ plans included was a clear list of materials, it's a pain to go through the plans and put a list together, and all the bits and pieces. I get that there are differences depending what parts you may have or acquire but still it would make it easier to begin shopping the parts.

I'm on my third pass through the LoadRunner2 plans and still find things I am missing.

Hi Fellow Bike (Trike) builders,

Been studying the AZ website for a few years. Also downloaded a few sets of trike plans and made a few posts on this forum. I'm in the UK.

I wondered if you'd started work on yours and what you decided to build?

I'm in a similar position atm. I wanted to build a Viking but really have doubts on my ability to make the front-end steering arrangements. In the passed at my work, I had a very well equipped workshop and could have made almost anything!

Plan "B" . . . make an Aurora Tandem but again turning my doubts on the ability to make the rear axle and live wheel hubs!

Plan "C" . . . I've found a rear axle compete with Differential and twin Disc Brakes which is made in Brazil and the Eu Spanish agent supplies it complete wheels (no tires). I can use a mix of Viking and Aurora plans/ideas and make a very similar tandem Trike to a Hase.

Rear Trike Axle

Anyway, very interested if you have started welding yet and which way you are going to build yours?

Steve
Liskeard, Cornwall, UK

Last edited:
I've been collecting parts. Got a welder, grinder.
?Bought some of the steel, got some more but will wait for the spring.
I am interested in the rear axle you found.

I would check that axle very carefully , some are to narrow for recumbents.

Paul

The rear Axle is made by Dream Bike in Brazil Dream Bike but they have a second website TRICYCLE Conversion For me, Shipping from their EU agent will be cheaper and quicker. Probably be ordering within the next few weeks but like you, not starting until spring. The weather here is dreadful atm. High winds, heave rain, sleet, hail stones like golf balls.

Steve

Not got the measurements handy atm but think its abt 32" to outsides of the wheels Paul.

I used to live in Calverton!

Steve

Not got the measurements handy atm but think its abt 32" to outsides of the wheels Paul.
That is good , the UK one's seem to be about 24" tread centres.

I used to live in Calverton!

Steve
They used to have a good car boot , in the days before Covid .....