Warning UK declare Mild Steel welding as dangerous to your health

I have tried masks that meet the criteria under a welding helmet and found them to be hot, sweaty, steaming up glasses and the welding mask,the only thing I found worth the bother was a filtered air fed mask and even that was a pain to use for short run work, and several hundred pounds to boot.
At work I have a NooNoo fume extractor but for most of the work I use a fan to blow the fumes away from me, and not disrupting the gas flow when using TIG or MIG.
I am afraid while I agree with the article, its old news rehashed just to make some twat feel important.
for the average home builder I would read this article with a sense of balance as to who its aimed at
Rant over
regards
John

Welding is a dangerous business.
Inert gases may not catch fire but they can asphyxiate you easily enough.
Plenty of gentle ventilation, and don't dare fart while the arc is struck!

I have tried masks that meet the criteria under a welding helmet and found them to be hot, sweaty, steaming up glasses and the welding mask,the only thing I found worth the bother was a filtered air fed mask and even that was a pain to use for short run work, and several hundred pounds to boot. regards John
Thanks just what I was looking for , first hand experience... good or bad is always valuable !

I realise I am just an occasional welder really in terms of H&S however it is still best to take all practical precautions to preserve what little health us old timers have .

regards Paul

Plenty of gentle ventilation, and don't dare fart while the arc is struck!
I feel this is a case of "ask me how I know...." A phrase that seems to come up in all of the Standard First Aid courses I take in order to meet Scouting requirements.
Thanks for the giggle DannyC! (Just getting caught up after a long absence for a whole host of reasons)

DK